British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Dual Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/dual-citizenship-909872/)

Celticknight Mar 1st 2018 11:44 pm

Dual Citizenship

Hi All,

paperwork submitted and payment made for Citizenship.

Question is. What do we do if we wish to have Dual Citizenship. Ive just renewed my British Passport also.

Is there another Procedure (Hoop /Hurdle) to be done next?

thanks
Ian.

MrsFychan Mar 2nd 2018 12:42 am

Re: Dual Citizenship

Nope that is it, having British and NZ Citizenship is fine, if you want a bit further down the line obtain another one you may have to look into 3 being allowed

lets us know when your Ceremony is

Celticknight Mar 2nd 2018 1:18 am

Hi,

thanks for info.

I believe I just need to apply for another sticker to be put into GB Passport that states i'm a NZ Citizen.

the other headache was, with renewing GB passport I havent had opportunity to apply for visa "Bluey" transfer to be stuck in. was hoping to let it be until Citizen Sticker can go in its place.

knowing my luck, suppose better get sticker done as wifes birthday is coming up in May and she wants me to take her away on celebratory holiday.

simonsi Mar 2nd 2018 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Celticknight (Post 12454114)
I believe I just need to apply for another sticker to be put into GB Passport that states i'm a NZ Citizen.

Yep but frankly why pay $135 for the citizen sticker, just carry/travel on your NZ passport (which is only $45 more) :confused:

MrsFychan Mar 2nd 2018 2:23 am

I would just use both passports depending on which country you are going to. Im not thinking about putting another sticker in our UK passport on renewal now we are eligible for a NZ Passport

Pollyana Mar 2nd 2018 5:23 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12454096)
Nope that is it, having British and NZ Citizenship is fine, if you want a bit further down the line obtain another one you may have to look into 3 being allowed

lets us know when your Ceremony is

For info the UK would not have an issue with someone holding three or even more citizenships, and I believe NZ is the same, (as is Australia) so it would only be the third country to check into.

MrsFychan Mar 2nd 2018 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12454165)
For info the UK would not have an issue with someone holding three or even more citizenships, and I believe NZ is the same, (as is Australia) so it would only be the third country to check into.

I know UK and NZ allow dual, some allow 3 I believe, you have to check every Countries criteria

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 4th 2018 12:57 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12454115)
Yep but frankly why pay $135 for the citizen sticker, just carry/travel on your NZ passport (which is only $45 more) :confused:

If we are going to UK/Europe then we carry both our UK & NZ passports with us. The NZ one goes down better in France than the UK one ;)

simonsi Mar 4th 2018 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12455523)
If we are going to UK/Europe then we carry both our UK & NZ passports with us. The NZ one goes down better in France than the UK one ;)

LOL - no way I would pay $135 just to keep the odd Frenchman happy :rofl:

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 4th 2018 6:39 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12455586)
LOL - no way I would pay $135 just to keep the odd Frenchman happy :rofl:

Just had to renew my Kiwi passport today and it was $180. We got much better service and upgrades when we said we were Kiwis, so it was worth it. Twas a small sacrifice to make.
The Swiss and Spanish didn't seem to care where we came from :lol:

KOH2 Mar 5th 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12454170)
I know UK and NZ allow dual, some allow 3 I believe, you have to check every Countries criteria

Well, our kids are entitled to 3 passports by birth/descent and one of them is planning to still add another one to her collection:ohmy:

simonsi Mar 5th 2018 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by KOH2 (Post 12456720)
Well, our kids are entitled to 3 passports by birth/descent and one of them is planning to still add another one to her collection:ohmy:

I'm sure you both know but being entitled to a passport/citizenship doesn't mean that country necessarily allows the holding of multiple citizenships, she should check each countries limits if any.

I hope the holding of 4 passports doesn't by itself put her onto any FBI watch list :eek:

There are some potential unexpected negatives of multiple citizenship - consular access by country A for instance may be refused in country B if you are also a citizen of B...just something to be aware of.

KOH2 Mar 5th 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12456737)
I'm sure you both know but being entitled to a passport/citizenship doesn't mean that country necessarily allows the holding of multiple citizenships, she should check each countries limits if any.

As usual legislation is not keeping up with life. With people moving about so much these days it's not uncommon to have parents from 2 different countries living in a third country, so when their kids are born they can claim citizenship of any one of these countries of origin.

I hope the holding of 4 passports doesn't by itself put her onto any FBI watch list :eek:

Scary stuff - at least she's not going for the US citizenship.

There are some potential unexpected negatives of multiple citizenship - consular access by country A for instance may be refused in country B if you are also a citizen of B...just something to be aware of.

Yes, that's definitely something to be aware of. Unfortunately renouncing your citizenship is a costly and cumbersome process (esp. if you don't live in one of those countries or speak the language well enough).

But then again, our son who's planning to study in France realised that having a mum from an EU country will keep the door open for him after Brexit (that's if the whole EU doesn't collapse under the strain;).