driving licence

Old Sep 7th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

ecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant future
Default driving licence

hi
is the british heavy goods licence recognised in new zealand or would i have to take their class 5 test.
thanks
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:47 am
Just Joined

lock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant future
Default Re: driving licence

Yes you can drive with your British HGV licence. Within one year you are required to sit a theory test (no problem) and change over to NZ licence. I have been driving for 18 months in Auckland
Old Sep 10th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant futureecalperif has a brilliant future
Smile Re: driving licence

hi lock4
thanks for the advice, can i pick your brains ...i am looking to come to new zealand in jan to look for work as hgv driver. are you a uk expat and if so how did you find the immigration process and how is the work out there ( still demand? ). my own situation as uk driver i dont mind long hours an graft ( used to it ) partner is a chef and have a son eight ...we dont know whether to apply for perm res or i go to look for work then bring family over. i appreciate if you would reply ....many thanks...
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:50 am
Just Joined

lock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant futurelock4 has a brilliant future

Hi

I am uk expat worked as HGV driver for roughly 20 years. I started off by checking through trucking companies in the Yellow Pages New Zealand on the internet. Contacted some companies given them any information about my experience driving in the UK. While on holiday in Canada June 2006 i was offered a position within a trucking company in Auckland that I had contacted. I immediately replied and accepted the position. They then sent me all the relevant paperwork that would allow me to apply for work visa. I then had medical and police checks and put together all the paperwork required for immigration including family members (my wife and two daughters aged 8 and 17). I then travelled down to London to New Zealand House and submitted all applications (that was beginning November) and at the end of the same week received back our passports with all work visas and student visas. We then booked our flights and arrived Auckland end of November. The process took us probably a couple of months not too long. When I arrived Auckland only 8 suitcases and after the jet lag had left contacted the company and started work with them end of December. I am still with the same company and have recently trained a couple of guys that have come over from the UK. Dont want to overload you with too much info but feel free to ask any questions will only be too happy to help. MY family really enjoy the lifestyle here and had no problems with our 8 year old. Schools are great. We live East Auckland in a place called Howick. Also we used the internet to gain a lot of our information. Could you maybe let me know what kind of work you are looking for I am currently doing container (tip work)
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

hi lock 4
thanks for the replys... at the moment doing agency work at land rover on collections 45ft trailers high sides and step trailers.also have a bit of experience on the containers ( freightliner ) using trombone skellys etc..as for the family side my partner was a bit worried about getting work until i showed her the seek website ( 280 chef vacancies ). also she was concerned that our son would not be able to go to school until we got per res which we could only get through my partner as it seems acccording to nz immi...we are going to find out more at the expo at leeds on the 11 oct ..anyway glad to here that you have settled in well pls keep in touch
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

My cousin arrived on the 3rd of July. Found a job easily enough as a HVG driver. The problem he had was converting his UK license as the company wanted a NZ lic, so we had to get that done. The AA office where dumb and after several calls to the land transport office we got it sorted, sat a theory $39. He also had to do a driving test for the company. They helped with all his paperwork for him to get a work permit, he is still waiting.

Make sure you bring current Police reports, medicals you can get done here, all your certificates, references, Birth Certificates, the more you have the better.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks annaerb

going out to new zealand at the end of jan to look for work available , how much is a medical out there? as in the uk its 305 pounds

thanks
Old Sep 21st 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

The problem you will have is that people wont employ you without a Work permit and you can't get a work permit without an offer of employment.

However, there are loads of Driving jobs, so it's basically finding a company that is prepared to do all the paperwork for you. The wages are not much approx $18 an hour.

My advice is to have a CV already made up with copies of certificates/passport/driver's licence/references etc.

John, is still waiting for his work permit approx 4 weeks now. His defacto wife and daughter still have to apply for their work permits and student visa.

I will ask John approx how much his medical including x-rays and bloods cost, I think it was from memory about $180NZ.

If you are coming to the Auckland area I can give you some contacts of Transport companies etc.

Your wife won't have a problem with a Chef job either.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Hello again,

Got those prices for you.

X-ray $90
Blood $65
Doctors visit $ 135
2nd Blood $ 56

All Doctor's prices vary so it is best to check first. Also the places you go for your x-rays etc vary as well.
If you know of an area where you will be I can maybe recommend some places.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

hi
thanks annaerb for the info...apols for late reply pc virus....

going to nz end of january hopefully to attend interviews and look for work. dont know where to start but at present contacting companies with a view to get some interviews etc. at moment getting some references and cvs put together.as for the medical it seems cheaper as you say to get a medical in nz ...thanks