Dreams shattered??

Old Jun 10th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreams shattered??

Originally Posted by mark and kim
Thanks for all the words of help and support - greatly appreciated. I am still worried sick today. My daughter is 5 years old and attends reception in a mainstream school. She has being progressing with her reading and writing and we have been pleased with her. At the moment she only has 3/4 appointments per year with her therapist, each one lasting 30-45 minutes. These appointments are really just assessments of her progress rather than therapy. I don't feel she is a burden to our health service at all but obviously I don't know how NZ see this.

I have looked into private therapy in NZ. I luckily have a friend in Wellington who has already given me the contact details of a private speech therapist in Wellington who charges 50 NZD per session. All along me and OH have said we would send her to private school if she needed i (so she wouldn't be a burden on the school system) So we will wait to see what the medical assessors say and then arm ourselves with the evidence we need. So I hope given all this we get through.

Please keep everything crossed for us. I'll keep you posted,

Kim
just for info , my boy was having 6 weekly sessions lasting for about 30 - 45 mins every 4 months or so. we left the uk when he had completed his first term in reception his reading was fab , but hand writing poor (poor motor skills esp fine - still requires excercises for these).after being here a few weeks his confidence went through the roof, the other week he even stood in school assembly & was 1 of 4 from his class to host assembly that week, & he had to speak maori too.
will be keeping everything crossed for you xx
Old Jun 10th 2007, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

Hi poppets,
Thanks for the info. Did immigration pick up on your son's problems and ask for a medical assessor to look at his case? If so how long did it take to resolve the issue?
Kim
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi poppets,
Thanks for the info. Did immigration pick up on your son's problems and ask for a medical assessor to look at his case? If so how long did it take to resolve the issue?
Kim
no never asked anything re his problem, although he was waiting for an appointment with a motor oral guy in the peds dept of the hosp, needless to say be left before appt info ever arrived. we just made sure we had all his records from school & nursery & all speech therapy reports etc. when i told his therapist we was emigrating she did a quick mini assessment & typed up a report for me to bring with us.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

If you have a job offer , i am sure that everything will be OK, NZIS will just be checking that your daughter's condition is not really serious and will cost the NZ government big $$
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Runaway is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Well we submitted the ITA paperwork last week and have been contacted by our immigration officer. All is in order apart from the fact that they have sent my daughter's medical to be further assessed . She has speech and language delay and has speech therapy (if you can call it therapy but don't get me started on that!) which our therapist says will need to continue in NZ. I really didn't think this was going to be a problem as her paediatrician has said she is developing fine and has in fact stopped seeing her. When I said to the immigration officer I was worried he said I had cause to be worried. The further assessment could go OK or we may be asked to provide further evidence that she will not be a burden to NZ. We might not be granted residency. OMG what are we going to do?

I have a job offer, the surveyor is round as as I type doing the survey for our potential buyers, OH has handed his notice in (had to give 6 months) and we are sorting our stuff ready to go. I can't believe this is happening. I can't even phone my parents for a chat as they aren't happy about our decision to move.

Anyone else had problems like this and if so how were they resolved.

Kim
Have you paeditrician put a letter together stating all the things he told you regarding your daughter, that she is going to be fine and he no longer needs to see her. Then pass this to the NZ immigration services. Surely you could even state that if the problem arose again in the future, you would sign a document promising to deal with the matter on a private basis, without burdening their national health system. Honestly, this country is crying out for new immigrants, why do they make it so difficult for upright, respectable potential immigrants? Stick to your guns on this, don't give up.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about

Similar in fact you got further than i have, you got an immigration officer, i just got my work visa turned down twice even though i have a job offer with an accredited employer, and the job is in the immediate skills shortage list.

You got to ask yourself if they want skilled labour or not, it gets disheartening after a while, and my medicals run out next week, i'm fed up.

I have heard people have problems with immigration, they do seem rather fussy.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Craigy123
Similar in fact you got further than i have, you got an immigration officer, i just got my work visa turned down twice even though i have a job offer with an accredited employer, and the job is in the immediate skills shortage list.

You got to ask yourself if they want skilled labour or not, it gets disheartening after a while, and my medicals run out next week, i'm fed up.

I have heard people have problems with immigration, they do seem rather fussy.
Why were you turned down?

In response to Original post...my daughter has selective mutism, so had S & L therapist in UK although she did nothing, community paediatrician and psychologist...we got our visa's. All we did was put in a leaflet about the condition, a letter from the psychologist and her school report to say she was doing fine in mainstream school.

Good luck!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

mark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant futuremark and kim has a brilliant future

Did immigration send your daughter's medical to the medical assessor? That is what has surprised us with our case. We just assumed that her medical would go through OK because it is not a big deal to us and our daughter is doing just fine in school and making lots of progress with her speech. I wish immigration had just told us after they sent her form to the assessor and not before because we are worried sick. We will be under pressure to exchange contracts with our house buyers soon and we really need an answer as we don't want to be homeless and without PR. We should hear something on Monday which won't be soon enough.

Kim
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by phil01
Why were you turned down?

In response to Original post...my daughter has selective mutism, so had S & L therapist in UK although she did nothing, community paediatrician and psychologist...we got our visa's. All we did was put in a leaflet about the condition, a letter from the psychologist and her school report to say she was doing fine in mainstream school.

Good luck!
numerous reasons, immigration office in london lost my enclosed accreditation, chest x-ray and pathology blood test results, i sent the second time (always signed delivery) to see if they were being processed or were indeed lost, unfortunately it was the latter.

Also the employmet offer didn't state the full amount in $ what the job was paying, even though if they worked out the $/hour x 40hrs x 52 weeks they would have found it to be over the required $45k/year.

Also the employer requires me to be registered with the EWRB (electrical workers registration board) this can be done once in NZ , though immigration were not having it, even though i know for fact this is not necessary i have heard from numerous in my trade they are only requesting because the employer stated in the job offer.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Did immigration send your daughter's medical to the medical assessor? That is what has surprised us with our case. We just assumed that her medical would go through OK because it is not a big deal to us and our daughter is doing just fine in school and making lots of progress with her speech. I wish immigration had just told us after they sent her form to the assessor and not before because we are worried sick. We will be under pressure to exchange contracts with our house buyers soon and we really need an answer as we don't want to be homeless and without PR. We should hear something on Monday which won't be soon enough.

Kim
Hi Kim,
no they didn't but we came on a temporary 3 year work visa so maybe that is the reason why?
Debbie
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Just thought I'd let you know what is happening in case this is of use to others in the future. The medical assessor has asked for further info from us and wants a report from a consultant paediatrician about our daughter's "condition" (we didn't know she had one). We sent a letter from such a doctor who discharged my daughter from her care in Feb this year having only seen her twice. Her verdict was delayed but normal. This letter wasn't good enough and now we have to get a report which will obviously delay us with getting the visa (if we get it at all). Our house purchasers are chomping at the bit and I want to hand my notice in at work but immigration have said it would be prudent not to sell the house or hand my notice in. So what do we do? This is just crazy - my daughter can read and write and is just finishing reception. She can swim unaided, ride a horse and skip with a rope. She just struggles a bit with her communication. This is getting out of hand and I am so upset and totally stressed out.

Kim
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:15 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd let you know what is happening in case this is of use to others in the future. The medical assessor has asked for further info from us and wants a report from a consultant paediatrician about our daughter's "condition" (we didn't know she had one). We sent a letter from such a doctor who discharged my daughter from her care in Feb this year having only seen her twice. Her verdict was delayed but normal. This letter wasn't good enough and now we have to get a report which will obviously delay us with getting the visa (if we get it at all). Our house purchasers are chomping at the bit and I want to hand my notice in at work but immigration have said it would be prudent not to sell the house or hand my notice in. So what do we do? This is just crazy - my daughter can read and write and is just finishing reception. She can swim unaided, ride a horse and skip with a rope. She just struggles a bit with her communication. This is getting out of hand and I am so upset and totally stressed out. Kim
Our daughter has an overactive thyroid, her consultant had her appointments down to once a year. it never occured to me that it would cause a hold up with our visas as it is quite a monor condition. They wanted a letter from her consultant - we provided it. They wanted more info which we also had to provide. Then their consultant took a 2 week holiday. Then they finally got round to looking at it and it was OK. It was incredibly stressful as we had packed in our jobs, our furniture was in storage, we were on the 3 week holiday round Britain we had promised ourselves to see everyone before we went and we still didn't have the visas. We had to let our flights go and I had to postpone my work start date. It all came together at the last minute so I can fully empathise with what you are going through now. Hopefully, it will just be a formality that has to be processed and it will not prove to be insurmountable. Karma for your worries.
Karen B
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:48 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kim

So sorry to hear that you're stressed, try not to worry too much. Karen is right when she says that the process is just a formality that unfortunately you have to go through. Just provide plenty of paperwork to prove how well your daughter is progressing ( paeds letters, head teacher, school reports etc and it hopefully will be fine.

I know how stressful the whole process is and there's bugger all you can do to speed it up. So for the sake of your sanity, go out and have some fun and try to think about something else for a few hours, you'll feel much better for it
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies. It helps knowing other people have been through the same frustrations and we are not just unlucky. Anyway I'll keep you posted and I'll try to keep smiling
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Not shattered after all. Just returned from a fab holiday in France to receive the all important letter.
We finally got PR (in principal) . After all the waiting we are so relieved. We had to provide extra an paediatrician report for our daughter and eventually her medical was approved.

Also the contracts on our house sale were exchanged while we were on holiday so the packers arrive next week and we move to the in-laws until we go which should be the end of September.

So all systems go. I think the next few weeks might just be a bit mad!

Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.