British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Dreams of a New Life in NZ!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/dreams-new-life-nz-615482/)

Tallell97 Jun 18th 2009 10:22 am

Dreams of a New Life in NZ!!

We are a British family with 12 year old twins, very familiar with expat life as we've lived out of UK for 19 years now and our kids were born in Malaysia.

We spent our 3 week annual holiday last December in North Island and it was THE most fantastic holiday, despite breaking my arm while were were there. Needless to say, I am now dream of relocating there and actually settling down.

Any pointers, advice would be greatly appreciated. ie how does this point system work? Is there a website with more info? Once you have your residency can you buy a house? Is schooling similar to the British system? Is the medical system like UK? (I didn't have to pay for my hospital bill when I broke my arm).

Genesis Jun 18th 2009 10:27 am

Re: Dreams of a New Life in NZ!!

Originally Posted by Tallell97 (Post 7676109)
We are a British family with 12 year old twins, very familiar with expat life as we've lived out of UK for 19 years now and our kids were born in Malaysia.

We spent our 3 week annual holiday last December in North Island and it was THE most fantastic holiday, despite breaking my arm while were were there. Needless to say, I am now dream of relocating there and actually settling down.

Any pointers, advice would be greatly appreciated. ie how does this point system work? Is there a website with more info? Once you have your residency can you buy a house? Is schooling similar to the British system? Is the medical system like UK? (I didn't have to pay for my hospital bill when I broke my arm).

Hi, yes schooling is in some ways similar to the UK, there is an NHS system like the UK..you have to pay for a few things like seeing the GP..not very expensive....you can buy a house resident or not and look at www.nzis.govt.nz re all thing migration. NZ ia way from perfect but it is a very wonderful place tto raise a family. I would recommend it to anyone.

Am Loolah Jun 18th 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Tallell97 (Post 7676109)

Hello and welcome to the NZ forum of BE!:thumbsup:

Breaking your arm whilst on holiday?!:eek: Brings a whole new meaning to having a smashing time ... Boom, boom!:o Hope it wasn't too painful and didn't ruin your hols.

Have a good browse of the site, especially the Immigration forum. There is a search forum facility to bring up previous threads on many varied topics.

Why not start a new thread in Immigration giving some info on your skills/professions and someone will try and help with the old points indicator.

Good luck.:thumbup:

BEVS Jun 18th 2009 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Tallell97

Welcome to the little NZ forum. Have some karma to get you going

We spent our 3 week annual holiday last December in North Island and it was THE most fantastic holiday, despite breaking my arm while were were there.

Not surprised by this at all. If I had spent 3 weeks on the North island instead of the beautiful South I would have broke my own arm also. :lol:

Needless to say, I am now dream of relocating there and actually settling down.

Let's get going then.

As you have realised already , the skilled migrant category works on a point system. You can try this out using the POINTS indicator from the NZIS New Zealand immigration website. NZIS = New Zealand immigration Service.

You can buy a house before you have residency. However, if you want to buy a commercial property or a large slice of land then that may be another matter entirely.

Schooling: I personally have no idea. others can help you with this. From what I see, hear and read there is a different slant on what is important here in schooling. Many expats pay for extra lessons or private schooling because they have concerns about the academics. Others are happy for the kids to go with the NZ curriculum.

The medical system is sort of similar and sort of different. Not much help am I :lol:
Emergency treatment will be free. Even if a non-resident there is a reciprocal agreement.
Doctors visits you will pay for.

Hope this gets you started. Feel free to get right back to us and happy posting. :)

BEVS Jun 18th 2009 11:18 am

Poo ! I answered in the wrong place. We should have been in the Immy forum. :p

I'm rubbish !

Am Loolah Jun 18th 2009 11:20 am

BEVS is our local font of knowledge ... :cool:

Education wise, I have found this site to be really useful. (Click on the words for link.)

HTH

Tallell97 Jun 18th 2009 11:48 pm

That's a great site, thank you. Seems like they have intermediate schools (or at least sections) in NZ which is great - keeps them segregated from the adult world just that little bit longer!

Tallell97 Jun 19th 2009 12:10 am

Thanks for your reply Bev - very helpful. I have now set up my New Zealand folder in my bookmarks and am already filling it up.

Point system a bit depressing as neither my husband or I have any academic qualifications to speak of other than our 'O' levels. My husband is a Hotel Manager and I am a stay at home mum (used to be a PA many moons ago). However, my husband works for one of the big 5* international hotel groups and they have a few hotels around New Zealand so we could try that route. I also see there are a few hospitality agencies in NZ.

Fantastic news about being able to buy a house before you get residency.

The health system isn't a concern really anyway, was just curious. My kids both broke an arm here in China and believe me, I was relieved I broke mine in NZ, it was almost a pleasurable experience... if you get my meaning!

BEVS Jun 19th 2009 2:21 am

Cafe and Restaurant Manager is on the immediate shortage list. Hotel manager doesn't seem to be on the shortages lists.

Hotel Manager is seen as a skilled occupation - ANZSCO 141311.

Just an off-chance but perhaps your husbands company is accredited with NZIS. you never kow your luck until you check it out. Hotels often require seasonal employees and most all use labour from other countries. If the hotel chain was an accredited employer this would help you.

You will need to check with the list HERE If it was, then the company would be free to offer your husband a management job. If they were to let him have $55K for a 40 hour basic week, then you could go for Work to Residence.

Otherwise , he could maybe gain a transfer. If the company wasn't an accredited employer they would need to make doubly sure that they satisfied NZIS that there was no suitable candidate already a resident or citizen in NZ. If they could do this then you could go down the skilled migrant route as this would up your points for a bona fide job offer.
My thining abuth trying to stay with the same company is that your husband would really be able to say he was tailor made for the job as he would have had in-house training etc for the style of that particular chain of hotels.

Numptyhead Jun 19th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7676281)
BEVS is our local font of knowledge ... :cool:

Education wise, I have found this site to be really useful. (Click on the words for link.)

HTH

Wow Loolah, thats a fab site. Thanks chuck:rofl:

Am Loolah Jun 19th 2009 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7679735)
Wow Loolah, thats a fab site. Thanks chuck:rofl:

It is good isn't it?!:thumbsup:

Going to shift this thread into the Immigration forum now as it's gone beyond an Introduction - hope that's ok with the OP?!:cool:

Tallell97 Jun 19th 2009 11:58 pm

Yes of course.Sorry I should have posted my questions over there - got a bit carried away.

Matewx Jun 20th 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Tallell97 (Post 7678758)
My husband is a Hotel Manager and I am a stay at home mum (used to be a PA many moons ago). However, my husband works for one of the big 5* international hotel groups and they have a few hotels around New Zealand so we could try that route.

I definitely would go down that route... Relocation's paid for and all usually (was for me ;o))

Most main hotel groups are accredited employers anyway...