British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Do you need City and Guilds??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/do-you-need-city-guilds-588371/)

Sharyne Jan 31st 2009 8:52 pm

Do you need City and Guilds???

Hi,

My husband is a joiner, and completed his apprentiseship in 1989. It was completed with the Scottish Building Apprenticeship & Training Council. I have evidence of his apprenticeship. But he doesn't have anything that says city and guilds. On the new zealand immigration website it says you must have the city and guilds part 1 & 2 along with your apprenticeship.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know if his apprenticeship would have included a city and guilds and he just doesn't realise it. Its a mine field this migrating to new zealand. :confused:

Thanks

Sharyne

Kags1694 Jan 31st 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Do you need City and Guilds???

Originally Posted by Sharyne (Post 7234172)
Hi,

My husband is a joiner, and completed his apprentiseship in 1989. It was completed with the Scottish Building Apprenticeship & Training Council. I have evidence of his apprenticeship. But he doesn't have anything that says city and guilds. On the new zealand immigration website it says you must have the city and guilds part 1 & 2 along with your apprenticeship.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't know if his apprenticeship would have included a city and guilds and he just doesn't realise it. Its a mine field this migrating to new zealand. :confused:

Thanks

Sharyne

Hi,

My hubby is a joiner, and had completed his C&G and indentured apprenticeship, we had to send his quals & indentures away to NZQA to be assessed. But I also know they do take into account experience.

Karen

Sharyne Jan 31st 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kags1694 (Post 7234203)
Hi,

My hubby is a joiner, and had completed his C&G and indentured apprenticeship, we had to send his quals & indentures away to NZQA to be assessed. But I also know they do take into account experience.

Karen

Hi Karen, thanks for your reply. My husband has said that he sat his trades test at the end of his apprenticeship. He doesn't know if it was city and guilds related. I'll just need to call the SBATC and see what they say. Filling out the EOI is a full time occupation!

Cheers
Sharyne :thumbsup:

alice goodwin Feb 1st 2009 5:09 pm

Hi All !

My hubby is also a joiner. He completed his City & Guilds quals in 1987.(after a 3year apprenticeship)

We have submitted our EOI & been selected from the pool.(So far so good - so we thought) Then NZIS asked for our quals certificates (I'm a qualified hairdresser) So we sent them - got a email back saying they are NOT recognised :mad:

I contacted City&Guilds (nightmare! kept putting me on hold for 20 minutes at a time - then cutting me off - 3 phone calls & 6 hours later - I got to speak to someone ) They said the "part 1 & part 2 " is a fairly new way of assessment & 22 years ago it was just 1 certificate (which is what my hubby has got) The only thing we can do is apply for a "equivalent " and a "syllabus" at a cost of £68.

I then emailed NZIS asking - if we did this - would that be enough proof of quals?
(We don't see the point spending any more money if this won't work)
But NZIS have NOT responded yet (that was over a week ago) But they said all certificates had to be submitted before 2nd Feb :confused:

I just can't believe that someone like my hubby - that is a qualified joiner - that has been working full time in the industry for over 20 years will be turned down !! :mad:

We are so upset, and can feel our dreams falling apart. We don't know what else to do! :(

victoria24 Feb 1st 2009 5:43 pm

you need to get assessed by nzqa. i know what you mean about city and guilds, they are terrible at sorting questions:sneaky:

Sharyne Feb 2nd 2009 10:12 am

Originally Posted by victoria24 (Post 7236679)
you need to get assessed by nzqa. i know what you mean about city and guilds, they are terrible at sorting questions:sneaky:

Thank you ! I'll look into that :thumbsup:

BEVS Feb 2nd 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Sharyne (Post 7234172)
. On the new zealand immigration website it says you must have the city and guilds part 1 & 2 along with your apprenticeship.

This relates to the older style City and Guilds certificates.

when NZIS talk of C&G part one and two, they mean two certificates. Certificate one = ordinary level /3 yr apprenticeship
Certificate 2 = advanced /4 yr apprenticeship.

In previous years C&G certificates had two levels.
Ordinary , if you like, where there was a 3 yr apprenticeship, course work and exam and following this a C&G cert was issued.

Then there was the advanced craftsman year where a 4th year of apprenticeship was served and an advanced C&G certificate was issued following the advanced course work /exam.
The advanced certificate normally covered 3 modules of the trade subject.
So the 2nd C&G advanced certificate is in 3 parts.

That was a fair few years back now.
Today NZIS and NZQA would be looking for a similar advanced craftsman status.
i.e. NVQ level 3/ C&G level3 or above. These levels are also called parts and there is often confusion over what level NZIS and NZQA require.

When NZQA and NZIS assess UK trade quals , they are looking for a training and qualification level which matches their own craftsman standard.

Here in NZ , apprenticeships are the norm really and are a 4 year duration .

What NZQA and NZIS do is match the training and course work module for module and look to see if everything covered by their own apprenticeships have been covered by the UK apprenticeships.

Therefore, a UK C&G must match the standard of the NZ trade certificate.

It is possible that work experience may be taken into consideration.

chippy64 Feb 2nd 2009 10:46 am

My hubby is a carpenter/joiner and got his city & guilds basic and advanced in the 80's. We sent off certificates to NZIS and they have accepted them. He has not needed to be assessed by NZQA, although some trades do have to (electricians I believe?). We got our PR approved in October - we have until April to get our blue stickers, so just keep plugging on, if it's what you really want to do!

Sharyne Feb 2nd 2009 8:31 pm

Thanks for your replies and information. My husbands apprenticeship was 4 years, and he does all joinery work. And he's fab! If I do say so myself! :rofl:

He has 22 years experience. I think I will just need to call the body that did his apprenticeship and see what they say. It was so long ago that my husband can't remember any details about it. :o

Thanks for the info though, even if he does need to be assessed I'm sure that will be a doddle for him....

Cheers...
Sharyne :thumbsup:

littlelollipop Feb 3rd 2009 3:08 am

Things have probably changed since my husband applied for PR back in 1994 but as a qualified Electrician we went throught the same thing trying to prove his quals. He also completed an apprenticeship in the 80's. Eventually after going backwards and forwards with C&G and NZQA, they part accepted his qualifications which allowed him to work but he had to do a part time course and sit a couple of exams to bring him up to date with all the relevant NZ regulations. It was hard work but it is worth perservering. Unfortunately NZQA system doesn't seem to be able to deal with older quals. Don't give up on your dream.

BEVS Feb 3rd 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by littlelollipop (Post 7241923)
Things have probably changed since my husband applied for PR back in 1994 but as a qualified Electrician we went throught the same thing trying to prove his quals. He also completed an apprenticeship in the 80's. Eventually after going backwards and forwards with C&G and NZQA, they part accepted his qualifications which allowed him to work but he had to do a part time course and sit a couple of exams to bring him up to date with all the relevant NZ regulations. It was hard work but it is worth perservering. Unfortunately NZQA system doesn't seem to be able to deal with older quals. Don't give up on your dream.

That's normal procedure for Electricians of any sort as there is a registration process here . Same for plumbers too. If the UK quals are recognised to advanced level, one is still required to do courses/ assessments and exams before being granted the NZ licence and registration.