Do we need a visa?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do we need a visa?

Hi we are struggling to find farming employment for my husband in NZ as hes not actually in the country for interviews. So we are thinking that he will just come over and start looking for jobs, going to interviews etc then 2-3 weeks later we will join him.
So I was just wondering if he needs a visa to job hunt? Farming is on the skills shortage list and we will apply for a temp visa once offered a job as well as residency.
Thanks for your help
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need a visa?

In theory he could come over on a 6 month holiday visa, given on arrival at the airport, and talk to employers.

However, this would cause problems when/if he got offered a job as you're not allowed to work on this visa.

I'm not really sure what to suggest?

I've got Permenant Residency and before coming over even though I was at pains to tell people I've got PR no one was that bothered, which was worrying.

But actually being in NZ (Auckland specifically), I've got several irons in the fire, thankfully all generated since getting here on the 1st of July.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:37 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

he could come over and try his luck and then apply for correct visa if he got offered a job. As for you and the children coming over until he had a job offer and the visa going through I would say not to chance it. You would need to get an onward flight out of the country for the initial visit and that could be costly for all of you.
My husband came out on his own for a month, managed to get a job offer within a week, got a temp work visa. Updated EOI to include job offer. Myself and the children did not come out until the loose ends in the UK had been more or less tied up, some months later
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

You're on sticky ground if you all head over on a holiday type agreement / visa if you are intending to seek, find work and stay. I think don't do it.

He would need to come and go job hunting, return, apply for the visa then make the move.

Or he come, job hunt, find one, apply for the visa, then you apply from the UK and join him later.

Either way, I wouldn't come over as a family till he has secured employment and a visa
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:54 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can afford to come over as a family then the best option would be for him to come over as a visitor and look for work. Maybe set up some meetings or interviews in advance.

You would probably have to be prepared for him to stay and for you to come over afterwards, though it depends on when they want him to start.

He will need a return ticket or flight out of NZ booked if he is coming over as a visitor. This is a requirement for all visitors. Also try not to make it too obvious that he is coming over to look for work!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your advice