Do I really need a migration agent?

Old Jun 28th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I really need a migration agent?

If I mess up the application do they just reject it or do they come back for clarification? IE, is a delay the worst thing that can happen, or an outright rejection?

I figure that I could and should be able to do it myself but have been put off so far by (a) not getting answers on here to some questions AND not finding the answers elsewhere, (b) apparent complexity in forms (c) not wanting to muck things up - we only have so many chances etc etc

What should I do? I am very close to going with an agent. Thanks to him I've been able to get some answers. But at some stage I'm gonna have to pay him, or go alone...

Many thanks
GI2011
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:58 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I really need a migration agent?

I don´t believe you should need an agent but then I haven´t seen your full idea of under what policy etc you want to try and emigrate to NZ. NZ seems to be second choice after Aus but the systems are different as you have been advised...

I´ve been through your threads and think you´ve had an answer to everything you have posted so fire away with any queries and we´ll see if e can help.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
I don´t believe you should need an agent but then I haven´t seen your full idea of under what policy etc you want to try and emigrate to NZ. NZ seems to be second choice after Aus but the systems are different as you have been advised...

I´ve been through your threads and think you´ve had an answer to everything you have posted so fire away with any queries and we´ll see if e can help.
Well I have now :-)
I'm going under skilled migration and get 155 without a job. I'm gonna read the guides and try and squeeze an EOI before 30 June.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
If I mess up the application do they just reject it or do they come back for clarification? IE, is a delay the worst thing that can happen, or an outright rejection?

I figure that I could and should be able to do it myself but have been put off so far by (a) not getting answers on here to some questions AND not finding the answers elsewhere, (b) apparent complexity in forms (c) not wanting to muck things up - we only have so many chances etc etc

What should I do? I am very close to going with an agent. Thanks to him I've been able to get some answers. But at some stage I'm gonna have to pay him, or go alone...

Many thanks
GI2011
The general feel on this site is that agents are an utter waste of money. There is nothing overly complex about filling in an EOI. Sure its time consuming and you have to evidence stuff and get tests and meds done. Save your self the wedge. Those that have used them are not very positive about their abilities.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:22 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have now :-)
I'm going under skilled migration and get 155 without a job. I'm gonna read the guides and try and squeeze an EOI before 30 June.
155 points should get you selected very quickly

If you make a mistake on the form NZIS will generally contact you to clarify the situation. The main thing is to make sure your EOI and the points score are correct. Once selected they will check your form to make sure your score looks accurate and then send out an ITA where you have to prove that you are entitled to that many points.
In general agents are not worth paying for if you don't have any issues that NZIS may take exception to. You will still have to provide the information needed for them to fill in the form and they can't do your medicals for you A lot of money for someone to fill in a form Just double, triple, quintuple check everything- I think I checked my EOI and ITAs about 10 times and then still worried
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:11 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
GI2011
I did my EOI and PR by myself in 2005, I found that the NZIS website had all the details I needed. I made a list of what I would need, e.g. documents, ploice check, medical etc, and how long things were valid for, then i made a plan of what to do and when. The whole process was very easy for me, the case officer assigned to my case did follow up for some additional information (details of all my family in the UK), but I was able to supply this over email.

I came to NZ on a WHV, and I was able to use the same letter that my employer had used to support my work visa application, to get PR, which I did myself.

tht

Last edited by tht; Jun 29th 2010 at 1:25 pm. Reason: agent to case officer
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
the agent assigned to my case
That´ll be the NZIS Case Officer, best not to call him an "agent" as that will just get confusing....