British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Do I get an indefinite RRV. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/do-i-get-indefinite-rrv-604814/)

hazeandsteve Apr 22nd 2009 6:41 am

Do I get an indefinite RRV.

It'll be two years on Friday since we landed with PR. Haze got her IRRV when she went back for funerals earlier this year thanks to the lovely folks at NZ house in London.
Do I just fill in the normal form for an RRV?:confused:
Will I then be automatically be granted an indefinite? :unsure:
Please be gentle with me, had a stressful day with exam stuff.

nelsonpom Apr 22nd 2009 8:05 am

Re: Do I get an indefinite RRV.

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 7502286)
It'll be two years on Friday since we landed with PR. Haze got her IRRV when she went back for funerals earlier this year thanks to the lovely folks at NZ house in London.
Do I just fill in the normal form for an RRV?:confused:
Will I then be automatically be granted an indefinite? :unsure:
Please be gentle with me, had a stressful day with exam stuff.

Yes :rofl:
Takes a few days to return or I believe you can go direct to the offices and it is done on the day....

Am Loolah Apr 22nd 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 7502490)
Yes :rofl:
Takes a few days to return or I believe you can go direct to the offices and it is done on the day....

Ahh, thanks nelsonpom.:thumbup: Steve, I expect like me you'd been searching NZIS's site for IRRV forms?:confused: Just printed my RRV form off then off to Hamilton tomorrow I think. Another step towards Citizenship!:thumbsup:

pleccy2000 Apr 24th 2009 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7502629)
Ahh, thanks nelsonpom.:thumbup: Steve, I expect like me you'd been searching NZIS's site for IRRV forms?:confused: Just printed my RRV form off then off to Hamilton tomorrow I think. Another step towards Citizenship!:thumbsup:

Is IRRV pretty much as good as citizenship?

newkiwi Apr 24th 2009 2:54 am

Originally Posted by pleccy2000 (Post 7509095)

no, you cant go and live in aus..lol

also, i always think its more easy for a government to change the rules about residency, it may be implausible but still possible for a new law to be promulgated that for instance said people who leave new zealand for more than two years loose residency status, or that you had to prove ongoing ties to new zealand or something like that. not likely but still. also more easy for the government to strip you of your residency, for example if you commit a serious crime or are deemed a danger to society. very difficult to strip somebody of their citizenship unless they obtained it fraudulently

It was straight forward for us to get our IRRVs, just went inot NZIS offices and got it approved and put in our passports in a hour or so...

dont know if it still works that way now

JAJ Apr 24th 2009 3:46 am

Originally Posted by pleccy2000 (Post 7509095)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...nd_Citizenship

helenlhoppy Apr 26th 2009 9:51 am

Sorry to be a bit dim, but what's an RRV??!!:confused:

Persephone Apr 26th 2009 10:00 am

Returning residents visa;)

When you are granted PR you will get two visas in your passport. One is the residency visa [if outside NZ], the other is a 2 year RRV.
As long as certain criteria are fulfilled you can apply for an Indefinite RRV after 2 years.

newkiwi Apr 28th 2009 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Sue R (Post 7515304)
Returning residents visa;)

When you are granted PR you will get two visas in your passport. One is the residency visa [if outside NZ], the other is a 2 year RRV.
As long as certain criteria are fulfilled you can apply for an Indefinite RRV after 2 years.

you dont actually get two "visas", you get two stickers in our passport. one is a "permit" which allows you to BE in NZ indefinately, but "expires" if you leave NZ.

The other sticker is a "visa" which allows you to TRAVEL to new zealand, and has an expiry date in the first instance, which aftre two years you can renew to get an indefinate RRV.

Every time you enter nz with a valid visa you technically get a new residency permit, which is the ink stamp in your passport saying you are allowed to remain in NZ indefintately but that it expires when you leave nz.

Persephone Apr 28th 2009 9:52 am

you dont actually get two "visas", you get two stickers in our passport. one is a "permit" which allows you to BE in NZ indefinately, but "expires" if you leave NZ.
Ah but if you apply outside NZ you get a "Residence Visa" which allows you to travel to NZ once and be granted a "Residence Permit" on arrival. The permit is stamped in your passport on arrival and expires on leaving the country. So when I arrived I had the two visa stickers and a ink stamped permit. Sorry just being a smartarse:rofl::o:rofl:

Am Loolah Apr 30th 2009 10:39 pm

Just a quick update.

Printed RRV forms off website, filled out, completed credit card details grabbed passport. Got to Immigration in Hamilton, put said bundle in plastic bag then in drop off box - took 1 minute. Was exhausted and had to go and have a lie down with a glass of wine to recover.

That was Tuesday late morning.

7:30am Friday, courier at door with passport and INDEFINITE on my visa!:thumbup::D

nelsonpom Apr 30th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 7530939)
Just a quick update.

Printed RRV forms off website, filled out, completed credit card details grabbed passport. Got to Immigration in Hamilton, put said bundle in plastic bag then in drop off box - took 1 minute. Was exhausted and had to go and have a lie down with a glass of wine to recover.

That was Tuesday late morning.

7:30am Friday, courier at door with passport and INDEFINITE on my visa!:thumbup::D

Congrats, prob deserve a glass of wine to celebrate now :thumbsup:

Barpolo May 12th 2009 12:08 am

Hi
Congrats to all you folk getting your IRRV's!

I don't qualify for an IRRV until August 2010 which will be my 2 year Resident anniversary. I have just returned from a holiday in Australia with my family who were visiting me from Scotland and so used my RRV I got with my Residence Visa.

What happens if I need to fly to Scotland for an emergency between now and next August?

Do they charge big $$$$$ for me to get back in?

Has anyone been in this situation before?

cheers
Barry

newkiwi May 12th 2009 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Barpolo (Post 7562901)
Hi
Congrats to all you folk getting your IRRV's!

I don't qualify for an IRRV until August 2010 which will be my 2 year Resident anniversary. I have just returned from a holiday in Australia with my family who were visiting me from Scotland and so used my RRV I got with my Residence Visa.

What happens if I need to fly to Scotland for an emergency between now and next August?

Do they charge big $$$$$ for me to get back in?

Has anyone been in this situation before?

cheers
Barry

Look at what your RRV says, its most likely a "multiple entry visa"