Dilemma

Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:40 am
Just Joined

The Resolute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dilemma

Hi all!

I have been dreaming of moving to NZ for a while now.

In 6 months I may relocate from UK to The Netherlands, not my dream country but I like the job and it is a good opportunity when recession comes creeping back. NZ could well be the next move in 2-3 years time, if I manage to pull together enough points for an EOI.

I have no work experience in an identified growth area nor in an area of absolute skills shortage, and no work experience in NZ. To claim enough points for a decent EOI I would probably need an job offer in NZ.
I appreciate this is not an unusual situation

There is time to plan and make things happen, but in the current economic climate I'd prefer not to risk unemployment or to spend most of my savings to claim 10-15 points more...

I have a few questions:
- How difficult is to find a job in NZ from Europe (UK or The Netherlands)?
- Would it help to go there for some weeks to look for a job offer? How much would it cost?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:31 pm
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice
Default Re: Dilemma

Would help to know if you are under 31 years old so we know whether you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This would give you the legal right to be seeking work in NZ. (On a tourist visa, if challenged, you would struggle to find any acceptable justification for why you are applying for jobs in NZ...)

Speaking from my own experience only, I have found it extremely hard to get an interview from the UK for IT work. In my line of work, it's more about the people than the machines (I'm a Business Analyst) so employers really want to meet you face to face rather than telephone. I was told on many occasions to get back in touch once I was in NZ. I think this is also because they (companies) don't always want to get wrapped up in the whole visa thing so they prefer that you are there first and then get in touch. Again, this is only my opinion based on my own experience. Others may tell you a different set of circumstances.

If I was in your shoes, with no current specific area of work to follow, I would look at something in NZ's strongest sectors such as Agriculture or indeed any kind of construction work for Christchurch is going to be popular.

It's about what you can put in to NZ as well as what you get out of it and I think if you can show that you are willing to put effort in to the country, you will get a better response. Just my opinion.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

The Resolute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dilemma

Hi Vicky, thanks for you reply

I am 40 yrs old and I am working as PMO analyst, with many years experience in various project and programme management roles. I currently work in the education sector, not the best claim points as project management professional of some kind.
No IT or engineering qualification and experience unfortunately.

It sounds like my age and background will not help me to get any closer to NZ I am now.

Originally Posted by VickyVN
Would help to know if you are under 31 years old so we know whether you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This would give you the legal right to be seeking work in NZ. (On a tourist visa, if challenged, you would struggle to find any acceptable justification for why you are applying for jobs in NZ...)

Speaking from my own experience only, I have found it extremely hard to get an interview from the UK for IT work. In my line of work, it's more about the people than the machines (I'm a Business Analyst) so employers really want to meet you face to face rather than telephone. I was told on many occasions to get back in touch once I was in NZ. I think this is also because they (companies) don't always want to get wrapped up in the whole visa thing so they prefer that you are there first and then get in touch. Again, this is only my opinion based on my own experience. Others may tell you a different set of circumstances.

If I was in your shoes, with no current specific area of work to follow, I would look at something in NZ's strongest sectors such as Agriculture or indeed any kind of construction work for Christchurch is going to be popular.

It's about what you can put in to NZ as well as what you get out of it and I think if you can show that you are willing to put effort in to the country, you will get a better response. Just my opinion.

Good luck.