British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   desperatly need advice regarding move to new zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/desperatly-need-advice-regarding-move-new-zealand-771559/)

jamie2210 Sep 12th 2012 11:19 am

desperatly need advice regarding move to new zealand

Hi :)

My name is jamie i'm 34 and from edinburgh united kingdom. Basically i'm looking for some advice regarding a possible move to new zealand and what are my options are if any with gaining visa's etc. My best friend moved out to new zealand (north island, turangi) 6 years ago and has married a kiwi girl and now has kids. he works as a corrections officer and has gained full resident status, both him and his family have asked me to go live with them and i would so like to make the move and start a new life if possible. so i really need some advice, my worries are that i dont have a skilled job that new zealand are looking for. i work in a warehouse as a forklift driver and have discoverved that because im over the age of 30 i cant get the innitial 1 year working visa. so just wondeting if anybody can give me some advice, is there anyway i can make this move happen?

Persephone Sep 12th 2012 11:37 am

Re: desperatly need advice regarding move to new zealand

Hi Jamie
Welcome, please ignore the fun and games on the main forum, we're normally approachable:)

You are right in that being over 30 you can't get the Working Holiday Visa [a work visa is different!]

Unfortunately you don't have a lot of options:
Without qualifications you would not be able to apply for residency as a Skilled Migrant.
A work visa would be difficult to come by; you need a job first and you apply for a visa with the job offer in place. Problem is that unless the job is on either of the skills shortage lists then an employer has to prove to immigration that no NZer can do that job.
Work to residence would also be difficult.

Other thoughts: Train up in a job that NZ needs-will take time and always the risk that job will go off the shortage lists. Meet a Kiwi lady [or gentleman, I won't make presumptions] live with her for a year and persuade her to move back home:eek:. Come over and look for work BUT be aware that getting a work visa may not be easy as mentioned above.

Sorry I can't be more help, unfortunately for you NZ actively seeks migrants with specific skills and/or those in shortage. There is no open work visa that allows anyone to come across and work here.
P:)

jamie2210 Sep 12th 2012 11:56 am

hi persephone

Thanx for your quick response i really appreciate it. I thought this would probably be the case regarding me not having a skilled job or major qualifications that new zealand have on there sklled migrant list. I'm not sure if this is true but i'm sure i read somebody else say on the forum that as a uk citizen i can come on a visitors visa for 6 months if i can show i can support myself and have a return ticket so i think i'll do that and then investigate my options while im there. thanx again jamie

Persephone Sep 12th 2012 12:06 pm

Yes you can do that. Return ticket and funds necessary though I have never been asked to provide evidence of funds. Your ticket out of NZ will be checked before you get onto the plane to NZ so you must have that.

If it's just you then any consequences are on you alone, your choice etc!
It's a risk but an informed risk is no problem in my eyes. If it doesn't work out then you'll have had a long break;)

jamie2210 Sep 12th 2012 12:12 pm

yeah i think i'll just do that then, thanx for the advice ;-)

Caz8NZ Sep 12th 2012 9:33 pm

Sorry to correct you Persephone - a "normal" working holiday visa can only be applied for up to the age of 30 (i.e. before you turn 31)....but Bunac still offer a scheme that allows you to apply for basically the same type of visa - up to the age of 35.

There are variations to the one you obtain through Bunac and the normal one but its pretty much the same.

You can find the details here:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/

IEP Work Exchange Visa

This visa is exclusive to BUNAC and allows anyone between 18 and 35 years old to work in New Zealand for up to 12 months. You can apply to this visa even if you’ve previously had the standard Working Holiday Visa. Check the visa table below for more info.

There are a limited number of visas available. BUNAC will allocate them on a first-come first-served basis.

BEVS Sep 12th 2012 10:13 pm

I did wonder if you felt you could possibly gain entry by applying to the Corrections Dept. as your friend is working in this sector.
Unfortunately you wouldn't meet the criteria for this as you would need to have NZ residency first.

HHmm. Am having a think.

Catchafire Sep 13th 2012 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10277885)
Sorry to correct you Persephone - a "normal" working holiday visa can only be applied for up to the age of 30 (i.e. before you turn 31)....but Bunac still offer a scheme that allows you to apply for basically the same type of visa - up to the age of 35.

There are variations to the one you obtain through Bunac and the normal one but its pretty much the same.

You can find the details here:

http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/

IEP Work Exchange Visa

This visa is exclusive to BUNAC and allows anyone between 18 and 35 years old to work in New Zealand for up to 12 months. You can apply to this visa even if you’ve previously had the standard Working Holiday Visa. Check the visa table below for more info.

There are a limited number of visas available. BUNAC will allocate them on a first-come first-served basis.

The Bunac option is an excellent one, which can be overlooked by a lot of people.

If you go down this route and plan to have a chance to stay in NZ, try to get a job in one NZ's primary industries such as forestry, dairying or vineyard/winery. These are sectors that you can get a work permit for, once you get your foot in.

Persephone Sep 13th 2012 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10277885)

Correct me anytime! That's interesting to know, didn't know that visa existed. Definitely worth Jamie looking into that:thumbsup: