Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:17 pm
  #31  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by Catchafire View Post
He can apply for a WHV for Australia from here, does not have to go back to the UK.

Also Australia, allows you to apply for 2xWHV in total, if you run them back to back, you are allowed to stay for 24 months and work.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...visa-works.htm

Hope that helps.
He can apply for an Australian WHV which is valid for 12 months. If in that 12 months he does 3 months of rural work (fruit picking, farm work, etc) he can then extend the visa for an additional 12 months. If he does the 3 month rural thing first then he has 21 months to stay in metro areas looking for permanent work. There are conditions to the WHV, such as he can only work for any employer for a maximum of 6 months. However, if he gets an employer willing to sponsor him he could move to a 457 (if he and employer qualify) which is a 4 year temporary visa. In that time he could get himself some qualifications and apply for PR. After one year of PR he would be eligible for citizenship which means he can then live in NZ.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:38 am
  #32  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 94
Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice, my son is 20 and whilst we all have P/R he doesn't. He has decided he loves it here in Tauranga. Problem is he can't get a job. He has been here on a WHV which expires in 2012.
He is interested in doing an apprenticeship, but he can't find any companies to take him on. My concern as his Mum is they may send him back to the UK.
He would love to work with a builder/ to be honest I reckon just a full-time permanent job offer would be great. If anyone knows of anything, or anyone looking for someone let me know.
The fee's at the polytech are very expensive. (international fee's for him if he wants to study)
Thanks all.
Helen
Hi Helen,

I've not been on here for months so catching up and found your thread. My son (still in the UK) is about to finish uni and has asked me what the job situation is like here and what are the chances of him joining us. I'm curious, after reading your post, how your son got on and where he's up to.

Best wishes
Gay
Gail5 is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:44 am
  #33  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
corbieken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 17
corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by Gail5 View Post
Hi Helen,

I've not been on here for months so catching up and found your thread. My son (still in the UK) is about to finish uni and has asked me what the job situation is like here and what are the chances of him joining us. I'm curious, after reading your post, how your son got on and where he's up to.

Best wishes
Gay
Hi Gay, Adam my son unfortunately does not have experience in anything. as he had just finished school and started college when we got our job offers. He has been out with CV's but not had any offers. He has only got a few months left before they deport him. your son may find it easier, with him just finishing Uni. Good luck, if i can help anymore just let me know. Helen
corbieken is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:49 am
  #34  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi Gay, Adam my son unfortunately does not have experience in anything. as he had just finished school and started college when we got our job offers. He has been out with CV's but not had any offers. He has only got a few months left before they deport him. your son may find it easier, with him just finishing Uni. Good luck, if i can help anymore just let me know. Helen
Sorry to be pedantic, but his WHV expiring is not the same as him being deported. Your son's situation is simply a matter of an expiring visa so he has to go home. Deportation is much more serious, and if he were in fact being deported he would likely be in immigration detention waiting for an immigration court to put him on the next flight home.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:56 am
  #35  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
corbieken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 17
corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Sorry to be pedantic, but his WHV expiring is not the same as him being deported. Your son's situation is simply a matter of an expiring visa so he has to go home. Deportation is much more serious, and if he were in fact being deported he would likely be in immigration detention waiting for an immigration court to put him on the next flight home.

Hi, your probably right. All I know being his Mum he needs employment offer before November otherwise they send him home. Someone told me they will deport him, and I guess they will when it comes to it. I guess I am seeing it from our perspective when his WHV expires, they will consider sending him home (deportation)? I don't know, but to me it sounds very similar.
But thanks for the info.
corbieken is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:01 am
  #36  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi, your probably right. All I know being his Mum he needs employment offer before November otherwise they send him home. Someone told me they will deport him, and I guess they will when it comes to it. I guess I am seeing it from our perspective when his WHV expires, they will consider sending him home (deportation)? I don't know, but to me it sounds very similar.
But thanks for the info.
"They" will not send him home unless he breaks the law or overstays his visa and gets caught. At the end of his visa he simply leaves the country. Nobody "sends him home", he leaves just like anyone else whose visa is expiring.

Again, nobody is going to deport him. This is what deportation is http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...eportation.htm
Dorothy is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:45 pm
  #37  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
corbieken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 17
corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
"They" will not send him home unless he breaks the law or overstays his visa and gets caught. At the end of his visa he simply leaves the country. Nobody "sends him home", he leaves just like anyone else whose visa is expiring.

Again, nobody is going to deport him. This is what deportation is http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...eportation.htm
Hi Dorothy, Yes I do know the difference. My point is, we are a family and I don't want him to go. He has nothing or anyone to go back to. So if he has to go it will be immigration telling him to go. It's not ideal i know, but I am hoping and fingers crossed that something really positive will happen before then. All the CV's he's out and about with should have some positive feedback. cheers. Helen
corbieken is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:02 pm
  #38  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi Dorothy, Yes I do know the difference. My point is, we are a family and I don't want him to go. He has nothing or anyone to go back to. So if he has to go it will be immigration telling him to go. It's not ideal i know, but I am hoping and fingers crossed that something really positive will happen before then. All the CV's he's out and about with should have some positive feedback. cheers. Helen
Has he looked into the Australian WHV? I gave you very useful information in this post about how he could go about getting one and how it would be useful for him in getting to NZ.

I really am not trying to be mean here, but you seem to ignoring the helpful posts telling him/you how he could go about staying and instead focussing on his "being deported".
Dorothy is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:05 am
  #39  
*********
 
Catchafire's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Up in dem hills.........
Posts: 1,454
Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi Dorothy, Yes I do know the difference. My point is, we are a family and I don't want him to go. He has nothing or anyone to go back to. So if he has to go it will be immigration telling him to go. It's not ideal i know, but I am hoping and fingers crossed that something really positive will happen before then. All the CV's he's out and about with should have some positive feedback. cheers. Helen
Are you saying you would have him here as a overstayer? That is really ridiculous. What are you going to do, have a secret room in the house? He has been here for a year and half and has been unable to find work? Bet he has tried real hard, eh?

In another forum I gave you advice on how he could get started in the wine industry (please note the NZ harvest has now started), get some experience, go to Australia on a WHV get some more experience, live away from you and grow a pair of Kahunas. Then come back here as a industry professional complete with experience and easy candidate for a work permit.

But instead I bet he is sitting on his bum watching TV waiting for you to make his tea. I doubt he would be able to find a job if one hit him on the head.

There are no magic answers on this forum.
Catchafire is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:09 am
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
 
RobDon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Rotorua
Posts: 1,626
RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi Dorothy, Yes I do know the difference. My point is, we are a family and I don't want him to go. He has nothing or anyone to go back to. So if he has to go it will be immigration telling him to go. It's not ideal i know, but I am hoping and fingers crossed that something really positive will happen before then. All the CV's he's out and about with should have some positive feedback. cheers. Helen
What about applying for a visitor visa for him?
You would be able to sponsor him to stay for up to nine months providing you can prove you and his dad have enough funds to support him.
We have just had to do this for our son after his work visa was declined. He also has no immediate family in the UK either.
Downside to this is he cannot work although it would ensure he remains in the country legally.
If its granted it will give him more time to look for employment.
PM me if you would like the details. HTH
RobDon is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:33 pm
  #41  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
corbieken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 17
corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by RobDon View Post
What about applying for a visitor visa for him?
You would be able to sponsor him to stay for up to nine months providing you can prove you and his dad have enough funds to support him.
We have just had to do this for our son after his work visa was declined. He also has no immediate family in the UK either.
Downside to this is he cannot work although it would ensure he remains in the country legally.
If its granted it will give him more time to look for employment.
PM me if you would like the details. HTH
Hi RobDon, My son has had aWHV for 23 months, during that time he has had some temporary work from tradestaff. He has been around so many places with his CV. It's really hard to watch someone you care about going from a confident young man to a person who is now finding it hard to have hope. But bless him he keeps trying. The work sometimes with Tradestaff give him independence and a bit of money. But nothing permanent. Employers just don't seem to want to take the risk. So I do feel for him, he loves it here in Tauranga. Two months ago he had a possible 2 week trial, but the guy/employer found out that if he offered my son the job he would have to wait around for a work permit to come through. so that never took place. I just keep hoping and praying something will turn up. I hope things work out for you guys. It's tough out there, but I guess it's like that in so many places.
Helen
corbieken is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:27 pm
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
RobDon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Rotorua
Posts: 1,626
RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Hi RobDon, My son has had aWHV for 23 months, during that time he has had some temporary work from tradestaff. He has been around so many places with his CV. It's really hard to watch someone you care about going from a confident young man to a person who is now finding it hard to have hope. But bless him he keeps trying. The work sometimes with Tradestaff give him independence and a bit of money. But nothing permanent. Employers just don't seem to want to take the risk. So I do feel for him, he loves it here in Tauranga. Two months ago he had a possible 2 week trial, but the guy/employer found out that if he offered my son the job he would have to wait around for a work permit to come through. so that never took place. I just keep hoping and praying something will turn up. I hope things work out for you guys. It's tough out there, but I guess it's like that in so many places.
Helen

I meant apply for a Visitor Visa just before his WHV runs out. That will give you, and him, some breathing space to look for employment and keep him in the country LEGALLY at least.
RobDon is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:41 pm
  #43  
It is what it is Member
 
simonsi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Blockhouse Bay, Auckland
Posts: 2,795
simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by corbieken View Post
Two months ago he had a possible 2 week trial, but the guy/employer found out that if he offered my son the job he would have to wait around for a work permit to come through. so that never took place.
That sounds wrong unless you son had used up all the work time on his WHV, he could have trialled and started under the WHV and applied for a work permit - if the emloyment would have supported a permit application???

Has he looked for work outside Tauranga?

As others have said, he will just need to apply for a visitors visa before his WHV runs out, talk of deportation and 'they' coming to deport him is frankly just nonsense, the biggest damage done by overstaying is to his own future immigration prospects.

Also my earlier post is valid, just because he has been technically independant by having (or demonstrating in order to get), a WHV, doesnt preclude him reverting to dependant on the expiry of the WHV and processing a PR, cant hurt and frankly he is running out of time and options anyway.

Last edited by simonsi; Apr 13th 2012 at 9:53 pm. Reason: Thought some more!
simonsi is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:53 pm
  #44  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
corbieken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 17
corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
That sounds wrong unless you son had used up all the work time on his WHV, he could have trialled and started under the WHV and applied for a work permit - if the emloyment would have supported a permit application???

Has he looked for work outside Tauranga?

As others have said, he will just need to apply for a visitors visa before his WHV runs out, talk of deportation and 'they' coming to deport him is frankly just nonsense, the biggest damage done by overstaying is to his own future immigration prospects.

Also my earlier post is valid, just because he has been technically independant by having (or demonstrating in order to get), a WHV, doesnt preclude him reverting to dependant on the expiry of the WHV and processing a PR, cant hurt and frankly he is running out of time and options anyway.
He had an opportunity for a trial, so I rang immigration and I was informed that whilst he was on a WHV he could have a trial but then if they offered him the job he would have to apply for a work permit and this could take up to 30days. My son informed the possible employer and he didn't even pursue the trial explaining if he needed someone he could not hang around. So I am only going of what I have been told. His WHV expires in November, so who knows.
corbieken is offline  
Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:53 pm
  #45  
It is what it is Member
 
simonsi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Blockhouse Bay, Auckland
Posts: 2,795
simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Yep, if you present the employer with the worst-case scenario they will be scared off.

However agree to perhaps a 1mth trial with an application for a permit after 2 weeks (our permits turned up in 5 days), and all would have been good...time to process the application, employer protected, everyone happy. Any contract of employment will be contingent upon the legal permit to work so no commitment from the employer if the permit was declined...
simonsi is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.