Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:48 am
Just Joined

corbieken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Desperate for an apprenticeship/job

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I be surprised if it was a straightforward as that.

Personally I find it hard to understand how a full functioning 18-24 year old can be totally reliant upon parental support. Especially when you hit your 20's!

If you have a case where you can prove that your "child" has been solely dependant upon you for support, whilst here on a WHV, then it has been a complete wasted opportunity for him.

A WHV provides plenty of opportunities to get out and about around NZ, do some cool (or backbreaking) work. If used in the right way, it is a awesome tool in self development.

Some people need to realise, and appreciate that people experience very different situations, some people are fortunate and others are not. Some people land on their feet and others do not. I certainly do not judge people if I don't know their circumstances.
My Son has searched for employment whilst being here, and he has been unlucky and not found anything permanent.
As his parent and a caring Mum I will support him until he finds something.
Sounds like your quite a judgemental person, that's fine. But you cannot tie everyone's circumstances as the same.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 5:13 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Take it easy, I wasn't criticising you or your son.

I was replying to Jutscol's post and the situation described there. Where in order to prove that the son of the family was completely dependant whilst being here on a WHV, meant he would have had zero work, nada. He would have be like at satellite, unable to leave his parents orbit.

There is a English couple who moved in down the street, both mid 20's, came here on a WHV, both work at a local winery, after doing all sorts of work around the country.

To cut a long story short, they have now received work permits, neither had qualifications or experience, but they demonstrated they could work hard and they were at the right place at the right time. Marlborough has the lowest unemployment of the whole country.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Take it easy, I wasn't criticising you or your son.

I was replying to Jutscol's post and the situation described there. Where in order to prove that the son of the family was completely dependant whilst being here on a WHV, meant he would have had zero work, nada. He would have be like at satellite, unable to leave his parents orbit.

There is a English couple who moved in down the street, both mid 20's, came here on a WHV, both work at a local winery, after doing all sorts of work around the country.

To cut a long story short, they have now received work permits, neither had qualifications or experience, but they demonstrated they could work hard and they were at the right place at the right time. Marlborough has the lowest unemployment of the whole country.
No, I wasn't having a go at you. I was just letting of some steam in general.
I know Tauranga is a lovely place to be, but by gosh it's hard to find work.
So, apologies if I was having a rant and rave.
I just worry, he has been through alot, attacked in the UK a few times, and then was only here a week and got attacked in town too. And now with searching hard for work, it's just hard. But hey, we are survivors.
Cheers
Helen
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you have a case where you can prove that your "child" has been solely dependant upon you for support, whilst here on a WHV, then it has been a complete wasted opportunity for him.
I'd like to sidestep the posts made after the above quote but return to the issue. With a WHV a young'un is supposed to have provided funds to support himself as well as being allowed to top this up with some seasonal work. That is the aim. An experience.

It's not the case that they arrive under the umbrella of this WHV and then find they must be wholly supported because they happen to have family here & cannot find full time work.

This isn't a pop at all but merely thinking out loud about this visa situation.

When does his WHV run out ?

Would he consider going back to the UK for a while and then applying for an OZ WHV. By that time you would be near to be able to sponsor him.

Why didn't he come out on the back of your PR application out of interest.

I'm still thinking on the temp work permit and trade thing. Trouble for you all is that times are tough. Homegrowns get these places as they are citizens and residents.

If he could find something with an 'accredited employer' then he could gain a temp work permit.

Still thinking out loud really but what you all need to do is gain time.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:52 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Would he consider going back to the UK for a while and then applying for an OZ WHV. By that time you would be near to be able to sponsor him.
He can apply for a WHV for Australia from here, does not have to go back to the UK.

Also Australia, allows you to apply for 2xWHV in total, if you run them back to back, you are allowed to stay for 24 months and work.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...visa-works.htm

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:06 am
Just Joined

He can apply for a WHV for Australia from here, does not have to go back to the UK.

Also Australia, allows you to apply for 2xWHV in total, if you run them back to back, you are allowed to stay for 24 months and work.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...visa-works.htm

Hope that helps.
Someone told me you had to have residency in NZ before you can apply for a WHV in Australia.
He just wants a job, preferably here. he doesn't really want to return to the UK he loves it here. But I guess with anything, if push come to shove he would have to.
So, although he hasn't got NZ residency, can he apply for a WHV from NZ to go to Australia.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by corbieken
Someone told me you had to have residency in NZ before you can apply for a WHV in Australia.
He just wants a job, preferably here. he doesn't really want to return to the UK he loves it here. But I guess with anything, if push come to shove he would have to.
So, although he hasn't got NZ residency, can he apply for a WHV from NZ to go to Australia.
I thought I did clearly explain that. Complete with link.

Here's another one.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...w-to-apply.htm

Don't listen to "somebody", google it and find out youself or better still get your son to.

Catchafire out!

Last edited by Catchafire; Dec 10th 2011 at 11:49 am. Reason: Just got back from the pub.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 8:05 pm
`

He just wants a job, preferably here.
Trouble is , so do many NZ residents & citizens. He doesn't have the status to take full time work here so an NZ employer will go for the ones they are allowed to employ. It's easier.

Local to me there are dozens of young females chasing just 2 hairdresser apprenticeships. I know half a dozen young lads wanting to get into the trades but there is nothing going. It's dead man shoes & who you know. . When one apprentice becomes qualified and leaves the place of work another may take his/her place.

Even if he was offered a job , unless that work was on a shortage list, NZIS won't necessarily approve a work permit. They will do a labour market test to check that there isn't a 'local' that could take up that work.

The exception is an employer on the NZIS accredited list

Can you fund international student fees?

Your son can apply for an Oz WHV as per Catchafire's post . Contact Oz Immy .

Maybe you should discuss all this with an immigration consultant

Peter Croxson is no nonsense with a proven track record.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:55 am
`

I've asked another posters from our forum to comment. They may be able to throw further light on how one gains a temp work permit when a job isn't in shortage but there is possibly training involved.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

you are in a very similar situation to us.

6 month work visa (expires Jan 12) only issued because SM application going through at the same time.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=731793

Have lodged an appeal (more $$$$!) through and immigration lawyer. Just a waiting game now.

Last edited by RobDon; Dec 13th 2011 at 11:20 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:55 pm
`

Originally Posted by RobDon

6 month work visa (expires Jan 12) only issued because SM application going through at the same time.
Poo ! I was hoping it was for the job under it's own merit.

Soz
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Poo ! I was hoping it was for the job under it's own merit.

Soz
Sorry we couldn't be more help BEVS.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:17 pm
`

Originally Posted by RobDon
Sorry we couldn't be more help BEVS.
Don't be sorry RobDon. My fingers & toes are all crossed for you and your son. He did the work & training in good faith that it could lead to PR

What will he do after the temp work permit expires?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

He is applying for another work permit, through our lawyer, (yet more $$$$$) on the basis that we have lodged an appeal that is currently waiting to be reviewed. (declined residency)

The lawyer says they may (or may not ) grant a temporary work visa as we are appealing their original decision and ultimately he must also be in the country legally.

Apparently you can have many visa applications going through at once.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 9:00 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice, my son is 20 and whilst we all have P/R he doesn't. He has decided he loves it here in Tauranga. Problem is he can't get a job. He has been here on a WHV which expires in 2012.
He is interested in doing an apprenticeship, but he can't find any companies to take him on. My concern as his Mum is they may send him back to the UK.
He would love to work with a builder/ to be honest I reckon just a full-time permanent job offer would be great. If anyone knows of anything, or anyone looking for someone let me know.
The fee's at the polytech are very expensive. (international fee's for him if he wants to study)
Thanks all.
Helen
I would have thought the logical thing to do is process a dependent child application as soon as the WHV expires (so no conflict on who is supposed to have been supporting him here - Bevs has a valid concern that any statements made in connection with the WHV should not be claimed to be false, that may prejudice any subsequent application).

Trouble is he may have to leave NZ while this is processed. He may be able to nip out and come back in on a visitor visa - you would need to check the rules on that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.