British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Degree Transcripts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/degree-transcripts-921094/)

pjemetta Jan 16th 2019 2:08 pm

Degree Transcripts

First time post. I graduated in 1985 with BSc in Economics and Accountancy. I have thr degree certificate but I don't have any transcripts. My former university has confirmed that it destroyed historic transcripts some time ago. Am I right in thinking that the degree certificate is insufficient evidence to support a skilled migrant visa application?

carcajou Jan 16th 2019 5:51 pm

Re: Degree Transcripts

What kind of university did you go to? This strikes me as very odd. Older transcripts should have been archived, not destroyed; usually there is extra processing time and possibly extra fees involved in accessing them as staff have to find paper documents or go through the archives.

pjemetta Jan 17th 2019 7:06 am

Thanks for your reply.

I went to City University in London between 1982 and 1985.

They told me that student records prior to 2005 have been destroyed under 'UK data protection laws'

I agree it does sound odd and I'm going to challenge them over it. I'm fairly certain that I did not receive a copy of the transcript when I graduated and its destruction is causing me some inconvenience to say the least. I would have expected records to be retained until it is very unlikely that they would be required,~ perhaps 40 years after graduation.

carcajou Jan 17th 2019 8:57 am

They destroyed transcripts from as recent as 2005, and did so "some time ago?" Odd to say the least. I would certainly challenge them and keep on it, and pay a visit down there.

As for New Zealand migration, it depends what the transcript is needed for. Sometimes they do a unit-by-unit comparison of the courses in a foreign degree to compare its equivalency to a NZ degree. In which case yes they would need it. You can call them and ask them, and see what else they might accept - but I wouldn't do that until, at minimum, getting a far better explanation from the university about what has happened.

pjemetta Jan 17th 2019 9:04 am

Thanks. I've followed up by email and will give them a call later today. I've also discovered that the professor who was my tutor is still there. I thought he would have retired long ago but I'll email him as well.

pjemetta Jan 18th 2019 1:46 pm

Well they've replied and confirmed that the records were destroyed but not provided any explanation.

I've now asked for a full explanation and asked them to treat this as a complaint. I've also submitted a subject access request and reminded them that they have to provide all data including that held in offline and archived storage systems.

carcajou Jan 18th 2019 4:55 pm

Wow. At this stage, I think you need to hire a migration agent familiar with the NZQA process to help you sort through this.

Timmy Chch Jan 18th 2019 7:05 pm

If you want the uni's help I'd suggest you be courteous until at least you've exhausted all the avenues of getting the information you require. You will need to work with the uni so don't fall out with them

pjemetta Feb 8th 2019 2:08 pm

Quick update. The PAR assessment of my professional qualification has come back graded at level 7 and so this should be enough. Interestingly, they gave this on the basis of the certificate only and dropped the request for transcript when I explained that this dated back to 1989. It makes you wonder if they would have similarly accepted my even older accountancy degree that my university is unable to provide a transcript for.