Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

definition of "relevant work experience" on EOI

definition of "relevant work experience" on EOI

Old Aug 4th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

elasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant future
Default definition of "relevant work experience" on EOI

Please excuse me if this question has been asked before but I think I need some clarification from the good people here.

My draft EOI relies somewhat heavily on "recognized work experience", I have over 10 years experience in my field but nearly half of this includes my studies for my PhD and BSc.

I would consider these years particularly relevant and pertinent to my area of expertize: Marine Biology. Indeed my doctorate was conducted at at professional marine institute with my degree at a national oceanography center.

However I am worried that an immigration officer will simply look at these years and "chalk" them down to studies and not employment. So what is the criteria they go on? Do you have to actually be paid to have this work experience? and if so wouldn't that exclude valuable volunteer experience, which is just as valuable as work experience (except without the money).

Any good advice on this would be much appreciated, thanks guys

Paul
Old Aug 5th 2011, 12:24 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: definition of "relevant work experience" on EOI

Hmmmm interesting one, I've had a look at the NZIS website and couldn't find out anything to help you.
I would suspect that the time studying for your BSc will not count but the PhD, well possibly but I have a feeling that they may see it as study and not work. Something you need to contact NZIS about. Try emailing them first as this is much cheaper than phoning, or if you're near an office [London?] then go in and visit.
This is one that may depend on what your job is as well. I could not do my job until I had a degree so I could only count the years from when I actually started work as opposed to doing the job under supervision but you may be different.
Hopefully someone else will come along and help or if NZIS give you an answer then let us all know!
Old Aug 5th 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

elasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant future

Hi Persephone,

Thanks for your reply to both my posts in this section. Yes it's not clear to how they have defined "recognized work experience". I would agree that my BSc would probably not count as I was sitting in classes most of the time. However my PhD was working in a world class marine institute conducting research that was the most essential and relevant to the type of career I would like to advance to in NZ, therefore I would say it is recognized work experience...

But I am no immigration officer. I think I will just submit my EOI online this weekend and see what happens. What have I got to lose anyway?

Old Aug 6th 2011, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

The only thing that I can find is that for work to be counted in full it has to be over 30 hours per week.....
Old Aug 6th 2011, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes,

It's not the number of hours that concerns me, it's the definition of "work experience"... do you have to be actually paid? you can still gain very good relevant experience from volunteer work...

My PhD was 6 years at a professional marine institute, personally I think that is very pertinent to work experience

Paul
Old Aug 7th 2011, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elasmo1
4pommes,

It's not the number of hours that concerns me, it's the definition of "work experience"... do you have to be actually paid? you can still gain very good relevant experience from volunteer work...

My PhD was 6 years at a professional marine institute, personally I think that is very pertinent to work experience

Paul
If you took 6 years to do your PhD was that part time? Were you working/employed by the marine institute while you were registered for your studies? I am assuming that your PhD was awarded by a University not the marine institute? If so surely this is "experience" although, yes, it does have to be over 30 hours a week.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Hi elasmo1,

For my EOI (2010) I did include detailed examples of Voluntary work experience as well as well as my study times as I thought the more examples the better to show my experience......I also thought it would look good doing stuff without getting paid for it!!!

Just take care to show that you can support what you have done with evidence for example references/character references

Remember you have to sell yourself on paper and the only way to do that is to show lots of substansiated examples - good luck
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for those comments guys. My PhD took longer than expected and it was definitely over 30 hours a week, and was awarded by my university.

I can back up all the examples of work experience I have put down on the EOI with addresses and websites and numbers so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem!