British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Debt (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/debt-483680/)

Animal Crackers Sep 26th 2007 3:11 pm

Debt

My OH has been told today that you will not be accepted into NZ if you have had a poor credit rating in England (by a friend). We both became students to study for degrees in nursing and IT and with having 2 children, causing us to really struggle financially!!:curse: Which has inturn caused us to have a poor credit rating:o Does anybody know of this, and could you tell us if you need to have paid everything in full prior to emigrating as we will have to pay off our student loans??? Many thanks

happynz Sep 26th 2007 7:00 pm

Re: Debt

Originally Posted by Animal Crackers (Post 5357011)
My OH has been told today that you will not be accepted into NZ if you have had a poor credit rating in England (by a friend). We both became students to study for degrees in nursing and IT and with having 2 children, causing us to really struggle financially!!:curse: Which has in turn caused us to have a poor credit rating:o Does anybody know of this, and could you tell us if you need to have paid everything in full prior to emigrating as we will have to pay off our student loans??? Many thanks

I don't recall any credit report being asked for by New Zealand Immigration Service. Unless you have been prosecuted and convicted of credit fraud and have done time as a guest of Her Majesty I don't think NZIS is too interested in your bills.

danny.f Sep 26th 2007 7:05 pm

Me neither. We had the same thing-due to some cock up with a repayment that we weren't aware of we had a poor rating,but once we moved,all our debts were gone.
Nobody asked about it.

Animal Crackers Sep 26th 2007 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 5357872)
Me neither. We had the same thing-due to some cock up with a repayment that we weren't aware of we had a poor rating,but once we moved,all our debts were gone.
Nobody asked about it.

Thanks to you both:thumbsup:your advise is very much appreciated!! My OH's friend should find his facts out first before he puts us both into turmoil:curse: The decision to move is scary enough and a rollercoaster of emotions as you will well know:blink:

Animal Crackers Sep 26th 2007 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 5357872)
Nobody asked about it.

Did you pay them all off before you emigrated?

teambwr47 Sep 26th 2007 8:29 pm

Maybe your friend is thinking of Australia where i think you have to be financially secure in terms of money in the bank and good credit etc to get in as a resident.

New Zealand immigration so far as i know asks nothing about your finance unless you plan to come here as an investor to NZ when theres a set amount of cash you need to get that sort of visa.

In terms of your debt i'd say pay it off before you leave if you can as paying a debt in £'s from NZ in $'s will scare the crap out of you when you see the cost of the repayments plus wages are less here so a greater % of your income will be used up.

danny.f Sep 26th 2007 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Animal Crackers (Post 5357904)
Did you pay them all off before you emigrated?

We felt we had to-once we'd got the profit on the house,we didn't want any ties,so yescame over debt free for the first time in years.

8 months later,we're applying for our second loan! ******g Kiwi wages+interest rate is spanking our arses!

Animal Crackers Sep 27th 2007 12:44 pm

:eek:

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 5358266)
We felt we had to-once we'd got the profit on the house,we didn't want any ties,so yescame over debt free for the first time in years.

8 months later,we're applying for our second loan! ******g Kiwi wages+interest rate is spanking our arses!

Thanks everyone for your great advise:thumbsup:it's really put our minds at rest. We're gonna go down the route of paying everything off over the next 2 years and save like mad again when we are both in full time employment!! We won't know what to do with our money then as we've been used to living on very little:curse:but both know it's gonna be worth it!! Being on here and chatting to you all makes it all real now:blink:Ohh I can't wait. Are the wages that bad even for skilled workers?