British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Damn!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/damn-478920/)

frattonlad Sep 4th 2007 1:41 pm

Damn!!!!

Just got a lettter from Immigration saying

Please note the Immediate Skill Shortage List and the Long Term Skill Shortage list are two entirely different documents and the former does not relate in any way to the Skilled Migrant policy - it is only relevant to temporary entry work policy which is why you would not have
been able to find Senior Travel Consultant in the drop down menu of the EOI.

They have knocked us back.......taking nearly 100 points off us!!!! Surely we must be able to do something, it is okay for them to take the money but no help whatsoever....
any help or advice greatly appreciated....we need it....

Sam & Trev
:curse:

Leighlou Sep 4th 2007 1:49 pm

Re: Damn!!!!

Originally Posted by frattonlad (Post 5272211)
Just got a lettter from Immigration saying

Please note the Immediate Skill Shortage List and the Long Term Skill Shortage list are two entirely different documents and the former does not relate in any way to the Skilled Migrant policy - it is only relevant to temporary entry work policy which is why you would not have
been able to find Senior Travel Consultant in the drop down menu of the EOI.

They have knocked us back.......taking nearly 100 points off us!!!! Surely we must be able to do something, it is okay for them to take the money but no help whatsoever....
any help or advice greatly appreciated....we need it....

Sam & Trev
:curse:

Hi Frattonlad,
Sorry to hear your news and understand how you feel as have been in a similar position - selected from the pool and then chucked back in with less points. Gutting to say the least. Don't give up though. :thumbup:
What points have you been left with if they have removed 100 points? Enough to stay in the pool?
Leighlou.

frattonlad Sep 4th 2007 3:44 pm

Hi no only 45 points according to them.....need to rethink....

happynz Sep 4th 2007 5:47 pm

Only 45 points, eh? You really need a lot more to get in. Getting a job will get you 50 and a job outside Auckland will get you 10 more. That will put you in the neighbourhood of 105 points. That will at least see you over the threshold. Do you have some sort of qualification such as a diploma or a good first degree? That would get you 50 more beans and put you in the 'automatically selected from the pool' category.

Justcol Sep 4th 2007 6:35 pm

sorry to hear that, i know you were making big plans for moving out there.
Still you now know what they require from you and where you fall short,
you can set about gaining any quals you might need that'll help and then apply again.
It might take a while but if its what you want it's worth it in the end.

phil01 Sep 4th 2007 6:39 pm

Hi,

why don't you just come over on a work visa? Then sort out your PR when you have a job which will give you the points...not everyone can get PR before they get here.

My job was on the immediate skills list as such I was entitled to a work visa but I knew it was never gonna lead to PR, just a work visa that is the way the issl works. However, since coming over my mrs got a job which does get us PR so at the time in the UK we thought well thats it not gonna get PR and yes we went throught the well should we bother at all if we can't get residency, but we did, we thought we can still go on a work visa spend a few years out there see if we like it and how it goes but when we were over here managed to get it sorted.

Good luck!

frattonlad Sep 4th 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks for messages, I think we will go on the work visa route, we have both applied for employment and are waiting to hear back from these, Sam has interview in London next week with the boss of the firm travelling over to meet her in person. I am waiting to hear about a couple of jobs. We were just a bit p..d off to think that we had done the EOI correctly and to have the money taken only to be told after this amount of time that her job is not on one list but the other that doesnt count! We both have experience and trades but not diplomas or degrees. WE WILL GET THERE.....Keep waiting and we will be there soon!!!!
Sam & Trev

BEVS Sep 4th 2007 10:57 pm

Hi there Frattonlad.
Sorry to read your news. Must've been quite a blow when you found that out.
As everyone else states , just try 'n find yourself a job offer and come out on a work permit. Then you can figure it out further once your boots are on NZ ground.

Phil01, can you answer a question for me please about this wretched ISSL business. :confused: confused about it's intentions and how it impacts on prospective migrants. I'd like to be more clear on this. I may just send a query form to NZIS and see what comes back.

If the skill is on the ISSL , does it mean that you cannot apply for PR? Or does it mean you can apply for PR but under a different policy to Skilled Migrant Category. What policy, I'm not sure. General work maybe !?

If you had a job offer , you could get points for that . Even though the skill is on the ISSL, could you then apply for PR IF you had points over the 100 threshold ?

I can see that the job would have to appear in the EOI drop down menu & that one would need to prove that the overseas quals and exp match the job.

Or is it that for any of the skills on the ISSL list , one may not succeed with a PR application as NZIS don't want the skill long-term.

What's throwing me a bit is that some people come in on jobs that are not on the Absolute Shortage List and not on the ISSL. They have to get the NZ employer to fill out a form for NZIS to gain an Approval in Principle.
They would submit this form together with their application for PR . That the job isn't on either list doesn't preclude them from doing this.

I have it in my head that I know of one such case from a couple of years back. She was in Travel and managed to obtain a Branch Managers job offer here in Nelson. The employer had to do the Approval In Principle and there was a bit of heave-ho with NZIS to prove there was no NZ resident to take the job. It was quite a few nail biting weeks if I remember. Anyway , the upshot was she gained PR through this.
Oddly enough, I think she binned the job after just 3 months. They live happily ever after on a lifestyle block making wrought iron gates and stuff.
I actually met this person twice. Once in Southampton as she lived in Ringwood near to us in Bournemouth, and then once when they were happily settled here in NZ.
This illustration was not from this site but from another.

Because of the above, this ISSL is doing my head in a bit. :curse:
I can see it is a list simply to facilitate work permits but I can't see why - if the employer can show absolutely that there is no NZ resident for the job - an application for PR can't be made if the person has a job offer.
With the acredited employers they simply buy $$ their way to bypass the Approval in Principle stage.

andy480 Sep 4th 2007 11:33 pm

hi Bevs here,
I think from speaking to NZIS (thanks callchecker :)) that ISSL is for tempory work, but to go for WTR via ISSL the employer needs to be on the accredited employers??
more here

phil01 Sep 5th 2007 5:52 am

Originally Posted by andy480 (Post 5274350)
hi Bevs here,
I think from speaking to NZIS (thanks callchecker :)) that ISSL is for tempory work, but to go for WTR via ISSL the employer needs to be on the accredited employers??
more here

Well it seems to be a complicated subject but I will give you a couple of examples from my experience don't think it will help it may confuse people more but here goes.

My job Heavy Truck Driver is on the immediate skills shortage list and my employer is accredited. So I first enquired about PR through skilled migrant route as I had over 140 points...I went to NZIS first and they said the role of Heavy Truck Driver is not classed as skilled therefore you cannot apply for PR through the skilled migrant category, so I thought well phoned you lot before different day different person different answer so went to an immigration consultant and he told me the same thing, but that I could apply for Work to Residence if I met that criteria...being over $45k (at the time, now $50k) working no more than 40 hours which equates to an hourly rate of just over $24.00, not gonna happen in truck driving!

So I could come to NZ but I had to have a job offer and then could apply for a work visa for up to 3 years because my job was on the ISSL. The visa is renewable for as long as the job is on the ISSL and as long as you pass all the medicals and meet the character requirements each time you need to renew, but it will NEVER lead to residency.

A friend of mine is a Diesel Mechanic, his job is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, he has 15 years experience in his field and he was turned down for PR under skilled migrant but offered work to residence...again not classed as skilled...but as he earns enough to meet the wtr criteria he can spend the next two years working towards his residency.

The ISSL is to provide quick fixes to labour shortages. You do not need to be an accredited employer to take on an overseas worker if the job is on the ISSL, it seems to just be a route to filling the gaps over here with no long term benefit for the individual, the benefits are for the company.

So if you really want to come over it can mean coming on a work visa and trying to find a way when you are here to secure PR. For some people it will never happen, as I have posted previously truckers are not likely to reach the pay for work to residence so unless you have the dosh to buy your own truck and then change your visa to a business visa, or your wife/partner has a skill or can earn the required amount for wtr then you may not ever qualify for PR.

So coming over is a gamble...we were lucky my wife got a job and that has led to us being able to apply under skilled migrant...but were not there yet!

frattonlad Sep 5th 2007 5:03 pm

Hi all,

My missus works in travel as most of you know by now and the employer is a credited firm that she has an interview with next week. I am hopefully going to have an interview with another credited firm next week as well.
Her job is on the ISSL list but the Visa Officer has just blatently said that she will not allow any points for this as even though its on the ISSL, and they are desperate for people to work in this business she says that because the paperwork states that the ISSL list does not mean Skills Shortage etc she will not grant any residency or ITA.
It is all a abit confusing. We honestly thought the ISSL list was what NZ is after ie people they are looking to fill roles on this list, and this would help us with PR but apparently not.
Anyone got a job offer that I could get over that way haha
We will see you soon.....I am planning on a 2 week visit on my own ina couple of weeks and will go to these firms who have said come and see me once there and a few others and tell them this is how serious I am about moving and that I am available for Imediate Interviews!

ps originally from Portsmouth and Sams from Manchester.

Sam & Trev

Justcol Sep 5th 2007 10:21 pm

my wife is out there at the moment on a reccie trip, being there really does make a difference.
she's been offered one job and they have said they will keep it for her until we can get there
and people are bending over backwards to help her make contacts and find work.
whatever route you take i hope it works out for you.
keep the faith brother
col (colandros)

frattonlad Sep 7th 2007 10:24 am

Hi Col,

Looks like I am going on a Recce in the next couple of weeks to visit these people and get a job offer if possible....unless we hear beforehand. Keep fingers crossed and good luck to you and family as well mate.

Sam & Trev