British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Could someone just tell me.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/could-someone-just-tell-me-514000/)

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 8:57 am

Could someone just tell me....

Just on the back of queries about baggage allowance...what exactly does it say on a Permenant Residency Visa when those little blue stickers are in the passport?

Does it specifically state that you are able to remain in NZ indefinitely?

Cheers

Tan

Nerine Feb 13th 2008 9:01 am

Re: Could someone just tell me....

Yes, but it also says that you're not allowed to enter the country after a date 2 years from the date of issue.
If you want to re-enter after that date you need to apply for an indefinite RETURNING residents visa

Maz Feb 13th 2008 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5925906)
Yes, but it also says that you're not allowed to enter the country after a date 2 years from the date of issue.
If you want to re-enter after that date you need to apply for an indefinite RETURNING residents visa

I'm not a PR yet, but Nerine I think you mean re-enter NZ? You have 12 months from issuance of PR to validate it. Then after 2 years of validating it by entering NZ, you must have the IRRV to re-enter NZ.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 9:42 am

Thanks guys - initial question answered fine and dandy :D....but now a little confused about the rest of it :confused:

Have looked at immigration pages again and found the info so have deleted the questions I originally posted here...........not confused any more.

Thanks

Tan

jads Feb 13th 2008 9:49 am

Just looking at my passport, its a bit confusing, but once you have validated your visa I think you have 2 years to return:confused:

Jads

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 9:50 am

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ts/default.htm

Have found the link to explain all...........hopefully :unsure:

Were you granted residence after 30 October 1995?
Your first Returning Resident’s Visa is issued to you at the time you are issued your residence visa or permit. It is valid for two years from the date the first residence permit is granted.

After your first Returning Resident’s Visa expires you must apply for a second Returning Resident’s Visa. Your second or subsequent visa may be valid indefinitely (enabling multiple trips in and out of New Zealand indefinitely) or may be valid for 12 months or 14 days. An indefinite visa is granted provided you were the principal applicant in the original residence application, or you are included in the RRV application lodged by the original principal applicant, and you are able to meet the requirements that show commitment to New Zealand, e.g. spent most of your time in New Zealand. If you are unable to meet those requirements you may be eligible for a 12 month or 14 day Returning Resident’s Visa.

Think I understand now....

Tan

BEVS Feb 13th 2008 9:53 am

:D Deep breath Tan.

When you are given PR - permanent residency, you get blue stickers in your passports. This means you can be a permanent resident in NZ.

However, if you want to leave and re-enter NZ , then you must have a visa. That visa is called a Returning Resident Visa - RRV.

When you are given PR you get a two year returning resident visa - RRV. That means that from the date you are issued with your Permanent Resident stickers you can leave and return to New Zealand. There will be a date on the stickers.

Before these expire , you must apply for new stickers. These will be the IRRV - Indefinite Returning Resident Visas. They will look just the same but you will be able to leave and return at will and not worry about if the visa has gone out of date or not.

Once you have been in NZ for xxx amount of years, like us, you will apply for your NZ passports & get your free NZ bush and get to sing the National Anthem in front of all your NZ friends who come to the ceremony for the fun of it. :lol:

lardyl Feb 13th 2008 9:55 am

PR visas come in several flavours....
first there is an unconditional one - where you have no ties to an employer or person - thats if you got PR without a job offer(s) and can enter the country within a so-and-so timeframe (1 year AFIK).
Initially this becomes a returning residents permit (as all visas do when you arrive in NZ and have the passport stamped) BUT with a two year validity - so you can come and go from NZ freely to return before the end of that permit. Then you have to show NZIS that you are a nice person, have stayed in the country for a decent proportion of the time and been working here so the two year validity then become indefinite.....hence you can come and go as you please indefinitely.

Conditional PR visa is the same in principle except that you or someone in your family is tied to a job - the one you used to get more points on your EOI/ITA (or as in our case to get the damn application processed quickly enough to take up the job that was offered!!!). Hence the person with the job has to work for so and so at such and such doing whatever and the other visas (eg partner of the principal applicant) are not conditional on having/keeping a job so allow more freedon to the others in the family.
Then this is converted to the unconditional PR (but with the 2 year returning limit - as above) once the section 19 requirements are met - ie the person with the job-tied permit has worked there for the requisite 3 months and the paperwork is returned to NZIS to prove this. Again you need to go through the two year conversion process and finally you get indefinite rights to leave and return.....

...damn .... beaten to it.... oh well may help someone else..... :unsure:

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 10:01 am

See... everyone's so helpful that the respones all come flooding in at once :thumbsup:

Sorry for those of you who typed loads...:o

PR visas come in several flavours....
Didn't know that so has been useful...not actually sure which one we'll have now as ITA didn't ask for job offer (didn't initially have) but job offer was sent in with ITA.

you get your free NZ bush and get to sing the National Anthem in front of all your NZ friends who come to the ceremony for the fun of it.

Looking forward to it!

Tan

BEVS Feb 13th 2008 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5926081)

...damn ....

:lol: It's all in the wrist action :sneaky:

lardyl Feb 13th 2008 10:08 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5926128)
:lol: It's all in the wrist action :sneaky:

nah, I've just got verbal diarrhoea as usual :curse:

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 10:08 am

I have an irritating habit of typing...submitting...and then editing :o

Am trying to stop but fingers work in advance of brain :blink:

God - I've just done it again. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Tan

BEVS Feb 13th 2008 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5926138)
nah, I've just got verbal diarrhoea

which flavour

Tan0410 Feb 13th 2008 10:10 am

Gross....:blink:

lardyl Feb 13th 2008 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5926143)
which flavour

stinky one :rofl:
got to go o bed now..........or I will be a dead man :(