Cost of emigrating....and moving back?

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of emigrating....and moving back?

Hello, just doing some rough sums...
I reckon £10,000 to get out there and set up, then if / when you decided to move back to the UK, in people's experience, are we talking another £8,000 odd?
Would be grateful to hear anyones thoughts...
Old Apr 25th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost of emigrating....and moving back?

Originally Posted by zetland
Hello, just doing some rough sums...
I reckon £10,000 to get out there and set up, then if / when you decided to move back to the UK, in people's experience, are we talking another £8,000 odd?
Would be grateful to hear anyones thoughts...
It really depends on how many of you are going! It is just the two of us and we are working on £8k for visas, removals (we haven't got a lot of stuff to move) flights, renting a small furnished house/apartment when we get there, buying a car etc etc. We havent got jobs yet but on a recent trip over to NZ we were told that we both could earn around the 50 - 55k mark.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks- yes, it does seem about that mark. Good luck!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zetland
Thanks- yes, it does seem about that mark. Good luck!
12k GBP in 2005. Door to door including everything..mirant levy etc flights blah blah. No agent to pay. Included a 40 ft container full of junk and a family of five. No pets in the calculations..thank God. Well worth the wedge for a new waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better life. Not sure about the mind set of 'how much to return'. We burned ALL our bridges and return WAS NOT an option..it just had to work..and I believe that you CAN make ANYTHING work if you so require it to. Positive mental attitude!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:38 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598317

The link shows how much I spent on emigrating though I was on my own and didn't bring a lot of belongings. The visa alone cost approximately £1,600.