Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Cost difference - WTR-Residency vs WP-Residency

Cost difference - WTR-Residency vs WP-Residency

Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:15 am
Just Joined

vertex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost difference - WTR-Residency vs WP-Residency

Hi

we have been now in New Zealand for 4 Years on a Essential Skills Work Instructions (duration - 5 years, both jobs on LTSSL and we have full time jobs). Our initianal plan was to stay in New Zealand temporary. However, our plans changed and we want to stay for good.

We are going to apply for residency in the next couple of weeks. Checking the fees for our application I have noticed a big difference between the costs if someone applies from a WTR vs WP. When we arrived in New Zealand we were advised that a WTR is issued for people who for example do not have enough points to apply directly for residency and that they can do this after 2 years and that we should go first with the WP and go from there to Residency.

But, why is the fee for a WTR-Residency application that much lower compared with the WP-Residency path????

The only difference between WTR and WP was ticking a different box in my application form and pay around 50 dollar more for the WTR (but you have to pay later half the fee for the residency application). Everything else (requirements) is pretty the same.

It is a shame, because I could have applied for the WTR "work to residence talent ( I am working for an accredited employer)". Furthermore I meet the salary requirements so could go straight to permanent residency =/. I did not have the information 4 years ago...so my fault as well grrrrr.

Hope somebody can explain!

Cheers

Martin