British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Converting a visitor visa to a work visa in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/converting-visitor-visa-work-visa-nz-667164/)

aksjourney May 6th 2010 6:17 pm

Converting a visitor visa to a work visa in NZ

Hello,

I have read many of the threads on this topic but was wondering if anyone has experieince of my specific case. I am UK citizen and am due to fly to NZ with my German girlfriend at the end of May. My girlfirend is entering NZ on a study visa as she is due to study her PhD. I have applied for a work visa based on our partnership but was rejected becasue we have not been living together (we met in australia, returned home at the begining of the financial crisis and so it was difficult for us to live in the same country). We have a 3kg booklet of A4 paper, including CRB and health check which proves our relationship, which NZ immig., in London have accepted as valid proof of our "genuine and stable" relationship.

The immig. officer in London has suggested i apply for a visitors visa (have used up my working holiday one) and convert it to either a partership-based work visa once we have proof of living together (bank statments tenency agreements) or applying for a work visa if i get a job offer.

My questions is: does anyone know how long this would take? How many weeks or months is "proof of living together" once we are in NZ and would it take long to change the visa?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

newkiwi May 6th 2010 9:54 pm

Re: Converting a visitor visa to a work visa in NZ

Originally Posted by aksjourney (Post 8547577)
Hello,

I have read many of the threads on this topic but was wondering if anyone has experieince of my specific case. I am UK citizen and am due to fly to NZ with my German girlfriend at the end of May. My girlfirend is entering NZ on a study visa as she is due to study her PhD. I have applied for a work visa based on our partnership but was rejected becasue we have not been living together (we met in australia, returned home at the begining of the financial crisis and so it was difficult for us to live in the same country). We have a 3kg booklet of A4 paper, including CRB and health check which proves our relationship, which NZ immig., in London have accepted as valid proof of our "genuine and stable" relationship.

The immig. officer in London has suggested i apply for a visitors visa (have used up my working holiday one) and convert it to either a partership-based work visa once we have proof of living together (bank statments tenency agreements) or applying for a work visa if i get a job offer.

My questions is: does anyone know how long this would take? How many weeks or months is "proof of living together" once we are in NZ and would it take long to change the visa?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

As far as I know you cannot "change" a visitors visa to a work visa or partnership visa. You need to apply for a work visa seperately. If you are entering NZ as a visitor you will have to convince the immigration official that you will not do anything illigal, such as work, overstay etc. I dont know how long your visitor visa will be for, 3 or 6 months?

I believe anyone entering as a visitor will need to show proof of funds and a return ticket.

Sarah1999 May 7th 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Converting a visitor visa to a work visa in NZ

Technically you aren't able to convert from a visitor's visa to a work visa but it worked for my brother's girlfriend. I don't think they're all that strict.

:)