British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   IT Contractor EOI work expereince question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/contractor-eoi-work-expereince-question-731511/)

DelJo Sep 7th 2011 9:35 pm

IT Contractor EOI work expereince question

Hi,

I am in in process of submitting an EOI for myself and my wife. I have a question regarding how to correctly document my work experience. (I have looked through previous posts, but can't find anything similar...sorry if I've missed it :) )

I have been an "IT contractor" for the last 5 years. This means that I have been running a limited company, as a sole employee and director, providing my company's services (i.e. my own IT skills) to client companies. Roles are normally advertised via a third party recruitment agency, who are then used to facilitate payment of my companies invoices to my own company.

For Recognised Work Experience I have three options

1) I place each of clients as a separate period of work
2) I add the details of my agency, adding my clients details in the "justification" section of the page
3) I fill in my own company's details, adding my clients details in the "justification" section of the page

I am able to provide the following evidence for each of the roles I've undertaken

1) My company accounts for the periods in question
2) References from my clients detailing my roles, responsibilities and length of service
3) Letters from the agencies detailing the periods work and the day rate
4) Invoices to the agencies
5) Company bank statements illustrating the payments made

Please could someone recommend the option I should use to ensure that I can detail my work correctly.

Many thanks,
DelJo

DavenHelen Sep 10th 2011 11:05 pm

Re: IT Contractor EOI work expereince question

I was in the same situation as yourself (NZIS used to this way of working so no problems) & think I did your option 3
'I fill in my own company's details, adding my clients details in the "justification" section of the page'.
So long as your EOI is correct & your claiming for points that you can't justify you will be fine.
When it comes to the ITA stage that is when I sent 12 years + worth of :
1) company accounts for the periods in question
2) References from my clients detailing my roles, responsibilities and length of service
5) Company bank statements illustrating the payments made.

Good luck, whats your area of IT & where are you planning to work?
Most jobs are are on seek.co.nz which you probably already know & speak to agents rather than just emails.

DelJo Sep 12th 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks for the reply DavenHelen, it was really useful and it's good to hear someone else has gone through it already :)

I did also post a similar question to the NZIS early last week and whilst their reply wasn't 100% clear I think it also suggests point 3 (I'll post it below, just in case anyone is interested)

I'm a Test Manager, so fingers crossed there's some work over there :thumbup: Are you contracting in NZ or have you gone permie?

DelJo Sep 12th 2011 8:18 pm

Dear DelJo

Thank you for contacting us.

In regards to work experience. These must include the exact duration of employment (i.e. the start and finish dates of your employment), the role you held with that company and the hours worked per week (especially for part time employment).

If self employed you must provide a letter from your accountant to clearly state the number of years of your self employment, together with financial statements to cover the years you claimed.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

Kind regards

Customer Service Officer
Immigration Contact Centre
Department of Labour | Te Tari Mahi

DavenHelen Sep 12th 2011 8:37 pm

DelJo I'm permie here though contracting does pay better here & you also tend to get less other benefits included in your permie package (No pension & limited health cover) but it is a very small market so plan to be permie for the consultancy I work for a couple of years then return to contracting.

There is work around but better speaking to the agencies directly.
Cheers

robbyarg Sep 15th 2011 5:46 am

This looks like a special case. Perhaps you should consult the NZ Immigration. NZ Immigration support is not that good, so you can consult an agent if you can afford it. It's perhaps the best option.

Originally Posted by DelJo (Post 9606562)
Hi,

I am in in process of submitting an EOI for myself and my wife. I have a question regarding how to correctly document my work experience. (I have looked through previous posts, but can't find anything similar...sorry if I've missed it :) )

I have been an "IT contractor" for the last 5 years. This means that I have been running a limited company, as a sole employee and director, providing my company's services (i.e. my own IT skills) to client companies. Roles are normally advertised via a third party recruitment agency, who are then used to facilitate payment of my companies invoices to my own company.

For Recognised Work Experience I have three options

1) I place each of clients as a separate period of work
2) I add the details of my agency, adding my clients details in the "justification" section of the page
3) I fill in my own company's details, adding my clients details in the "justification" section of the page

I am able to provide the following evidence for each of the roles I've undertaken

1) My company accounts for the periods in question
5) Company bank statements illustrating the payments made

Please could someone recommend the option I should use to ensure that I can detail my work correctly.

Many thanks,
DelJo

DavenHelen Sep 15th 2011 6:08 am

Not sure why this a special case as I was in the the same situation (as were several other former UK based IT consultants who now have PR). The EOI is fairly straight forward as I stated above at ITA stage just get all your information together to prove how you work through your limited company & an agency. I Do not really see the need to pay immigration agents anything, when there is so much help from other posters on this forum.
Cheers & good luck