British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Confusion about HND qualification (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/confusion-about-hnd-qualification-840426/)

Lizaberry Aug 7th 2014 9:30 am

Confusion about HND qualification

After knocking at the door several times, my family and I have finally arrived in NZ and have been her just under 3 months. Initially on 2 year work visas, we've decided we want to get our EOI for SMC underway as soon as possible, so have already begun to fill it out online.

I have a query about the status of either my HND or NVQ qualification, and whether it/they need assessment by NZQA. I was pretty sure when I looked at this some years ago, that my HND was recognised, however after checking the site again today, I'm not so sure - how can it once have been recognised, but not now?

Here's the website link to what I found - if anyone could take a peak, I'd be most grateful, United Kingdom - Technical and Vocational Qualifications

The confusion for me is the fact that the HND is listed as a recognised qualification, but the 2 asterisks next to it refer you to Table A which lists a number of construction related occupations. My HND was completed in 1989 in Business & Finance, so I'm not really sure what to think given this list of occupations is so narrow. My NVQ Level 3 in Guidance on the other hand was completed in 2002 - I can't even find any reference to this, unless I've missed something.

I can understand that skilled occupations come and go off of the shortages lists to suit the needs of the NZ labour market, but just because they get removed, they're not downgraded to 'unskilled'. In the same way, if I had once seen my HND as recognised, how could it then become 'unrecognised' and not on the list?

Apologies if I have missed something somewhere, just hoping someone can shed some light on this for me, as it may mean I'm gonna have to get it assessed when I was expecting to ...

Thanks in advance, Liz :-)

Persephone Aug 11th 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Confusion about HND qualification

Congratulations, finally in NZ after all that time :thumbup:
Welcome back.

That is confusing but I have noticed that certain awarding institutions have been taken off the list before as well. But yes, jobs usually don't go from skilled to unskilled as far as I know...
You could always check with NZIS.

The other point is: I am assuming your husband is the one with the job/job offer as you now have work visas? I remember you were looking for boat building jobs for him.
If that is the case-do you actually need the points for your qualification?
How many points do you have without including points for your qualification? If you don't need them then it saves you having to get it assessed if that is what NZIS say you need to do.
Or do you need it for a job/offer?