confused need help and advice please

Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Mdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy confused need help and advice please

Hello and good morning all

I have a problem that i am hoping someone can help me with.

We as a family would dearly like to emmigrate to NZ to be with my parents - who emmigrated nearly 12 years ago now and are now new zealand citizens.

They are willing to help support us and to provide housing.

Here is my problem - neither my partner nor I have any tertiary qualifications althoug we have loads of work experience. My parner is at the moment an Anti Social Behaviour Officer, and has worked for Citizens Advice Bureau as an Advisor in Debt and Welfare Benefits. At the moment I work for myself from home - so can do my job anywhere in the world so to speak.

We have 3 children 11, 8 and 5 who obviously would come with us - Which is the best way to go ?? and doe anyone know how the new rules will affect an application for us?? Does my self emplyed status count as a JOB ??

HELP -
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:41 pm
slime

simon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nicesimon-nall is just really nice
Default Re: confused need help and advice please

Originally Posted by Mdgey
Hello and good morning all

I have a problem that i am hoping someone can help me with.

We as a family would dearly like to emmigrate to NZ to be with my parents - who emmigrated nearly 12 years ago now and are now new zealand citizens.

They are willing to help support us and to provide housing.

Here is my problem - neither my partner nor I have any tertiary qualifications althoug we have loads of work experience. My parner is at the moment an Anti Social Behaviour Officer, and has worked for Citizens Advice Bureau as an Advisor in Debt and Welfare Benefits. At the moment I work for myself from home - so can do my job anywhere in the world so to speak.

We have 3 children 11, 8 and 5 who obviously would come with us - Which is the best way to go ?? and doe anyone know how the new rules will affect an application for us?? Does my self emplyed status count as a JOB ??

HELP -
hi ya

As you have family in NZ and no quatifications you work to residency (WTR) would be the best way This is for people with less than 100 points. as you have family you get points for this. Go to the nz web site and do a self assessment for points and see what you got, or vist your folk for 6 mth and see if you can find work, apply for work visa then residency
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:21 am
Just Joined

nellyboo will become famous soon enoughnellyboo will become famous soon enough

Hi

I don't have a tertiary qualification either, but have been a drug and alcohol worker in the UK for 4 years. I came here on a visitors visa with my fella (who is an NZ citizen). I am now applying for a work visa as there's so much work here and I am considered to be working in the field of social work (even though I don't have the piece of paper)
I think your fella as an ASBO officer should be fine. He should try the "Corrections Department" website (don't know the address, sorry!!). Also Child, Youth and Family (CYF). There are major skills shortages in Prison, Police, Probation, etc and they generally will take experience instead of tertiary qualification. Also some of the jobs I've seen accept applications from overseas people without visas. Your husband will probably have more experience from a year in his current job than 10 years over here!!
You should also be fine. My work visa application asked for all periods of employment, including self-employment. I think they like the enterprising initiative here.

Good Luck!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Mdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for those replies.

Nelly how long were you in NZ before u had offer of job. Then how long before u got a permit.

Also if we come over as 'visitors' can I get the children into schools - even tho officially we are visitors ??

Thanks for any advice

Midgey
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this website:

http://www.psych-recruitment.com/

This is the company that basically set my husband and I up with the jobs that we are going to...one with Probation and one with the Department of Corrections. I cannot praise them enough!

T
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Tan - will go register details there.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 7:22 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry...don't want to confuse...just to clarify, Probation is part of the Dept of Corrections!

T
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Take a look at this website:

http://www.psych-recruitment.com/

This is the company that basically set my husband and I up with the jobs that we are going to...one with Probation and one with the Department of Corrections. I cannot praise them enough!

T
Sorry if I've got this wrong- checked out the above web site and would have thought that most if not all of the jobs would have required some form of 'tertiary education'. Psychologist is a graduate profession as is probation officer.

What are the specific jobs in the psychology and probation service that don't require formal qualifications?
I only ask as I know of 2 people working in the mental health, who would be interested.
Thanks Jennie
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:03 am

Hi there,

Psychologist posts would require qualifications but a new recruit in Probation works differently over there...for a Probation Officer preference would be given to applicants with appropriate experience or relevant qualification (but that's not unusual for any job really). All other necessary training is provided on the job.

They are currently doing an ongoing recruitment drive till the end of the year so no formal deadlines to my understanding.

T

Last edited by Tan0410; Nov 26th 2007 at 3:08 am.