Confused...need help

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confused...need help

Okay so it is getting close to Christmas and I am too tired to read anything...all the immigration stuff is confusing me at the moment.

I have a hypothetical situation that may well turn out to be real (). Just in case you don't know I am a Kiwi, my hubby is British, daughter born in London don't have any passport for her at the moment but will apply for British one soon (she has no kiwi docs to speak of yet).

I am applying for a job in NZ in Jan...may well have to travel over with baby first to begin job whilst husband stays behind and sells flat in London. I have some questions, hope I am not being too dense.

1. I think I have it sorted that hubby applies for residence permit under family/partner category (I sponsor him), this allows him to work doesn't it???

2. I think baby has to be a dependant on his application to be able to enter NZ..is this correct?

3. Do we need some kind of witnessed letter that will let me take her out of UK to NZ without husband (him to follow of course). I don't want to get stopped at the airport without having proper documentation or would her stamp or whatever in passport from NZIS be enough?

I think I will call NZIS in the New Year but any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Dannigirl
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:09 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused...need help

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Okay so it is getting close to Christmas and I am too tired to read anything...all the immigration stuff is confusing me at the moment.

I have a hypothetical situation that may well turn out to be real (). Just in case you don't know I am a Kiwi, my hubby is British, daughter born in London don't have any passport for her at the moment but will apply for British one soon (she has no kiwi docs to speak of yet).

I am applying for a job in NZ in Jan...may well have to travel over with baby first to begin job whilst husband stays behind and sells flat in London. I have some questions, hope I am not being too dense.

1. I think I have it sorted that hubby applies for residence permit under family/partner category (I sponsor him), this allows him to work doesn't it???

2. I think baby has to be a dependant on his application to be able to enter NZ..is this correct?

3. Do we need some kind of witnessed letter that will let me take her out of UK to NZ without husband (him to follow of course). I don't want to get stopped at the airport without having proper documentation or would her stamp or whatever in passport from NZIS be enough?

I think I will call NZIS in the New Year but any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Dannigirl
Hi Dannigirl
I can answer question No1....this is the visa that I have, my OH born in NZ so he sponsored me, he had to submit a police check and NZ passport as part of the sonsorship, I had to submit medical & x ray forms, police check and evidence of relationship.
Not sure about No2 .... but our children were born in UK but have NZ citizenship through descent, they currently have UK passports but are eligable to apply for NZ passport if they decide to live in NZ, So I assume you could apply for NZ citizenship for your daughter & both UK & NZ passports, I would check this out with NZIS tho as your daughter is still a dependant your plan may be the way to go initially.
No3...I'm not sure that this is a legal requirement (sure someone who does know will be along later) but given recent news here and to avoid any last minute hitches I would say have some documentation with you.
HTH & good luck with your job hunt
Happy Christmas & Happy New Year in NZ!!
B x
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi Dannigirl
I can answer question No1....this is the visa that I have, my OH born in NZ so he sponsored me, he had to submit a police check and NZ passport as part of the sonsorship, I had to submit medical & x ray forms, police check and evidence of relationship.
Not sure about No2 .... but our children were born in UK but have NZ citizenship through descent, they currently have UK passports but are eligable to apply for NZ passport if they decide to live in NZ, So I assume you could apply for NZ citizenship for your daughter & both UK & NZ passports, I would check this out with NZIS tho as your daughter is still a dependant your plan may be the way to go initially.
No3...I'm not sure that this is a legal requirement (sure someone who does know will be along later) but given recent news here and to avoid any last minute hitches I would say have some documentation with you.
HTH & good luck with your job hunt
Happy Christmas & Happy New Year in NZ!!
B x
Wow superquick response - thanks.
Hopefully number 1 is pretty straight forward! How long did yours take? My brain just can't take it all in at the moment!

I see you are ready to fly soon, where you headed?

Thanks for the help, Merry Christmas
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Wow superquick response - thanks.
Hopefully number 1 is pretty straight forward! How long did yours take? My brain just can't take it all in at the moment!

I see you are ready to fly soon, where you headed?

Thanks for the help, Merry Christmas
Hi again...
When we started thinking of applying for my visa we were pretty confused as well...so don't get disheartened or too bogged down with all the other types of visa's!! The application process was very straight forward, I found this document very helpful plus advice from other partners on this forum.http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...tApril2008.doc

I handed my application in to NZ House on 1st Oct, had a phone call from C/O on 6th Oct (4 working days!!) he initially requested more recent evidence of our relationship but luckily I had a copy of the inventory of documents I had submitted with my application and could direct him to evidence he was requesting, he then said everything was fine and he would just have to pass documents by his manager before writing to confirm my application was Approved in Principle (amazingly quick, but not unusual I understand).....confirmation letter arrived on 16th October, I sent off my passport & migrant levy on 9th November, passport complete with blue stickers & documents were returned on 13th November!!!
Applications for Childrens citizenship was equally as quick and worth doing IMO.
Not to sure where we're headed yet possibly BoP or Northland, we would both be happy in either but I would prefer Northland ( Kerikeri surrounds) Are you heading home to South Is? (sorry if I've got that wrong!)
B x
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi again...
When we started thinking of applying for my visa we were pretty confused as well...so don't get disheartened or too bogged down with all the other types of visa's!! The application process was very straight forward, I found this document very helpful plus advice from other partners on this forum.http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...tApril2008.doc

I handed my application in to NZ House on 1st Oct, had a phone call from C/O on 6th Oct (4 working days!!) he initially requested more recent evidence of our relationship but luckily I had a copy of the inventory of documents I had submitted with my application and could direct him to evidence he was requesting, he then said everything was fine and he would just have to pass documents by his manager before writing to confirm my application was Approved in Principle (amazingly quick, but not unusual I understand).....confirmation letter arrived on 16th October, I sent off my passport & migrant levy on 9th November, passport complete with blue stickers & documents were returned on 13th November!!!
Applications for Childrens citizenship was equally as quick and worth doing IMO.
Not to sure where we're headed yet possibly BoP or Northland, we would both be happy in either but I would prefer Northland ( Kerikeri surrounds) Are you heading home to South Is? (sorry if I've got that wrong!)
B x
Thanks for the link, great it was so quick for you...I just don't want to miss anything out. Sounds like you were super duper organised, I love your "inventory of documents".
Hopefully you will arrive just in time for the tail end of glorious summer up north. We were intially considering Welly but a job has come up in Dunedin for me and tbh would make life a bit easier as we would have family support there. It really all hangs on this job, no job no go....so we'll see what happens in the New Year. We just need to take the plunge and do it and this is the first step.
I think all the rules have changed re citizenship for children i.e it is not automatic so would definitely sort it out if we move there, otherwise I am not that keen on sending her documents all over the world to get it done (we'll wait until we holiday). Agree it is worth doing.
Thanks again!
Dannigirl.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:47 pm
MnB

I have Dewb09 to thank for the 'Inventory' tip and yes, it was really worth doing!
I didn't realise that the rules had changed for children of NZ citizens born outside of NZ tho....can understand you not wanting to apply till you are in NZ, we did everything through NZ House in London (citizenship applications)....still felt uncomfortable sending off important documents tho!
That was the main reason I handed my visa application in, I provided certified copies of all legal docs 'cause didn't want to leave them to maybe get lost in the system, also needed to apply for new UK passport so that visa could be added for max time (worth doing for OH if less than 2 yrs on current passport).

It'll be good for you to have family support so for job in Dunedin, and yeah we are looking forward to catching the end of a Kiwi summer!....I expect you are too!
B x

Last edited by MnB; Dec 22nd 2009 at 5:07 pm.