British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Confused about work permits NZQA!Can anyone help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/confused-about-work-permits-nzqa-can-anyone-help-485413/)

smiler000 Oct 5th 2007 4:43 am

Confused about work permits NZQA!Can anyone help?

Hi guys,

Yes I have more questions!

1. When I looked at the immigration NZ website, it stated I wouldn't need my qualifications assessed as they were on the list saying so... but I have since heard that ALL degrees, masters etc have to be assessed - does anyone know if this is the case?

2. I am in the process of waiting to hear about two job offers (my referees are being asked to provide references now) - and although my EOI has been drawn from the pool the ITA won't come through for a while and so my potential employers have told me that it would be quicker to get a work permit in the meantime - my question is this - do I need my qualifications assessed BEFORE I can apply for a work permit? Or can this be done afterwards?

3. Sorry one more! My first degree was in an arts subject and unrelated to IT which is what I am working in now - but I have an MSc in IT which is relevant - would I need to get BOTH qualifications assessed by NZQA or just the one relative to the type of work I am in/job I am hopefully going to be offered?

Sorry for all the questions but NZQA haven't been able to answer my questions, they just referred me back to immigration who of course on their site say that assessment isn't needed!!!!!

Thanks to anyone who can help me here!!!

Smiler :unsure:

happynz Oct 5th 2007 6:19 am

Re: Confused about work permits NZQA!Can anyone help?

Originally Posted by smiler000 (Post 5388772)
Hi guys,

Yes I have more questions!

Of course. This immigration lark does raise some issues. eh?

1. When I looked at the immigration NZ website, it stated I wouldn't need my qualifications assessed as they were on the list saying so... but I have since heard that ALL degrees, masters etc have to be assessed - does anyone know if this is the case?

I think it best to email NZIS and see what they say. I know for permanent residence I had to get my degree assessed by NZQA.

2. I am in the process of waiting to hear about two job offers (my referees are being asked to provide references now) - and although my EOI has been drawn from the pool the ITA won't come through for a while and so my potential employers have told me that it would be quicker to get a work permit in the meantime - my question is this - do I need my qualifications assessed BEFORE I can apply for a work permit? Or can this be done afterwards?

Your employer is correct. You can definitely get a work permit faster than residency. I don't think you'd need to have your qualifications NZQA'd for a temporary permit. At least when I had temporary work permits I only had to supply certified copies of my qualifications. Once again, email NZIS as they are the final authority on this.

3. Sorry one more! My first degree was in an arts subject and unrelated to IT which is what I am working in now - but I have an MSc in IT which is relevant - would I need to get BOTH qualifications assessed by NZQA or just the one relative to the type of work I am in/job I am hopefully going to be offered?

Probably the higher of the two, the MSc in IT should do, but that would need to be NZQA'd if and when you do the residency application.

Sorry for all the questions but NZQA haven't been able to answer my questions, they just referred me back to immigration who of course on their site say that assessment isn't needed!!!!!

Thanks to anyone who can help me here!!!

Smiler :unsure:

It's tough enough doing it from the ground here in New Zealand. I imagine it is a real bear to get it sorted out from overseas.

Not sure if my answers help much, but there you go. :)