Confused

Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Pointer is on a distinguished road
Default Confused

WTR (Work to Residence)
This category is relevant to people who wish to migrate to New Zealand, who are entitled to a work permit and do not have enough points to apply for Permanent Residency but are likely to have enough points by obtaining an offer of employment that is skilled.
we have 120 points EOI and have an ITA where we are currently pulling together our evidence. March 2011 is the deadline for this

Neither of us have jobs lined up in NZ and the thoughts at the moment is to wait until we are in country to apply unless a post opens up internally for me to apply for, which has happened already but it came to early for us in the process.

anyway does this mean in theory that we can expect a WTR rather than a PR or is it really done on a case by case basis and depends on the type of job that we would be expected to do in NZ.

if WTR is what we are looking at it may be too much of a risk for us to sell up and put our lives in limbo hoping that we would get the required skilled job to take us to PR.

Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all
Default Re: Confused

Originally Posted by Pointer
we have 120 points EOI and have an ITA where we are currently pulling together our evidence. March 2011 is the deadline for this

Neither of us have jobs lined up in NZ and the thoughts at the moment is to wait until we are in country to apply unless a post opens up internally for me to apply for, which has happened already but it came to early for us in the process.

anyway does this mean in theory that we can expect a WTR rather than a PR or is it really done on a case by case basis and depends on the type of job that we would be expected to do in NZ.

if WTR is what we are looking at it may be too much of a risk for us to sell up and put our lives in limbo hoping that we would get the required skilled job to take us to PR.

Taken from the NZIS website:
6. Residence and Work to Residence visas and permits
If you meet our criteria, and we believe you will settle successfully and contribute to New Zealand, we will offer you a residence visa or permit.

If we think you have potential, but want to see how you settle, we will give you a work to residence visa or permit, which you can use to help obtain an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand for up to nine months. If you obtain skilled employment in this time you will have shown your ability to settle and contribute, and your residence application will be approved.

If you do not meet our residence policy criteria we will decline your application for residence.

Try looking at the following from the NZIS website as well :
Home > Apply and Settle > Work > Work to Residence > Requirements > Quick check

For what it is worth it may pay to start canvessing propsective employers in whatever profession you are in, as you know a job offer will add the extra points. But bear in mind the economic situation at the present (same as every where else) makes securing jobs (whether incountry or outside) hard in many circumstances.
What profession/work are you looking at doing?

Last edited by garfield250; Dec 21st 2009 at 9:51 pm. Reason: Typing (big fingers little keyboard)
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the feedback.

i work in the energy renewables industry specifically wind as a health and safety officer and the company that I work for has just handed over its first NZ wind farm to Meridan energy near Wellington and is about to start a second farm near Hamilton. the hope is that I can get a move internally, there have been a couple of openings but they came to early for me in this process. thats one avenue, I am hoping to meet up with the safety manager when we are over in March to discuss possibilities.

we both get daily emails from seek and there is usually one or two safety posts advertised and numerous suitable jobs for the OH too. I am confident that getting a safety job wont be that big a problem but I could potentially price myself out of the market due to experience and quals that I have. will deal with that nearer the time. I intend sending spec CVs to potential employers in January and see what happens.

I think what the big fear is that the timescale of 3 months to get to NZ and to find jobs is a bit daunting, especially when we have two dogs to bring over which need passports to prevent quarantine in case it doesnt work out, and a house to sell. where as knowing you have 12 months to get out there with PR takes some of that pressure off.

looking at timescales it could be july/august before we would meet with immigration anyway unless we get a job so we do have time on our hands to sell up and move into rented accomodation.

it would be good to hear others experiences with regards PR v WTR.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

as i hamiltonian i would be intrested to know where the wind farm is going to be.
I have no objections to them but i've seen nothing in then local press.
Good luck with the application. if you need any info on Hams further down
the line feel free to drop me a PM

cheers
Col
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

hi Col

the windfarm I believe is planned for the Te Uku project, which I believe is located near Hamilton. I think with wind farms you either like them or loath them certainly not as ugly as pylons. they are everywhere now in Scotland, its a more interesting a job than most safety jobs that I have done.

I have a friend in who has lives in Hamilton, been there a few years now I think. he has just built his own house which is very impressive.

we have decided that now that we are in the system we just need to go with the flow and react as things happen, as we dont expect to speak to anybody in immigration until about July 2011 unless we get a job offer that is good enough to make us take the leap of faith.

mean while we are going to enjoy this white christmas that we are going to have, forecast is -10 deg C during the day tomorrow. thermals oot.