British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Coming out on a Holiday visa and try to get a Working Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/coming-out-holiday-visa-try-get-working-visa-643555/)

Staceynz2010 Dec 5th 2009 6:55 pm

Coming out on a Holiday visa and try to get a Working Visa

Hi to everyone,

My husband, son and I are desperate to move to New Zealand. We have got 100 points so we are in the pool, but still havent heard back regarding our EOI. We are using an agency (Golden Sands) to help with the application process and job search. We have sold our house here in the UK.

We were thinking of coming out to New Zealand at the end of February on a Holiday visa and try to get a job during that time, which is a risk, to get a working visa which will help with our EOI.

I really wanted some opinions on whether people think this would be risky. As if we didnt get a job we would have to move back to the UK with nothing. What have people found successful in the past? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stacey

george toni Dec 5th 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Coming out on a Holiday visa and try to get a Working Visa

hi

firstly stop using the agency unless you really need them!

You can do all this stuff on your own and as for them finding you a job?

Big risk with the climate as it is here at the moment finding a job could be hard.

You need to let us have more of an idea as to type of work you are looking for and also how you got the 100 points?

do you have a job on the skills list or is it a straight PR no job 100 points application?

not being nosey but without knowing what you are looking for if you visit its hard to advise on it.

cheers and good luck

george

BEVS Dec 5th 2009 7:36 pm

The best people to find you a job offer are employment recruiters. Not immigration agents. I would be wary of any agency that charges you to find work

Yes. This is recession. This would be risky .

A temporary work permit will not help with your EOI. A job offer would ,as it means more points.

Job offers are thin on the ground right now it seems.

What is your occupation.

Staceynz2010 Dec 5th 2009 7:43 pm

Hi,

Ideally I would not like to work as we have a 10 month old son, I would like to look after him. We decided to use an agency as we thought it might speed the process up. As I turn 30 in January so I lose 5 points, so we will drop below the 100 points.

My husband works in the Travel Industry in a Product Development role which also involves Project Management. He doesnt have to stay in the Travel Industry. He also has a Business Management degree. I used to work in HR and we are thinking it may be better for me to get a job.

We dont mind where we live in New Zealand.

Regarding agencies, do you know of any good ones. As we have been emailing them and they said that they wont touch us as we havent got a visa.

Thanks so much for your feedback and opinions.

Stacey

BEVS Dec 5th 2009 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Staceynz2010 (Post 8149112)
Hi,

Ideally I would not like to work as we have a 10 month old son, I would like to look after him. We decided to use an agency as we thought it might speed the process up. As I turn 30 in January so I lose 5 points, so we will drop below the 100 points.

My husband works in the Travel Industry in a Product Development role which also involves Project Management. He doesnt have to stay in the Travel Industry. He also has a Business Management degree. I used to work in HR and we are thinking it may be better for me to get a job.

Regarding agencies, do you know of any good ones. As we have been emailing them and they said that they wont touch us as we havent got a visa.

Thanks so much for your feedback and opinions.

Stacey

Using an Immigration Consultant does not speed the immigration process up. The timelines will be the same. Of course, a quality immigration consultant will be very au fait with what is required re. form filling etc but many people do all this sucessfully for themselves.
Even with an Immy Consultant , you will still have to run around collecting and collating your paper work. Arrange your own meds and police checks etc.

Do you mean employment recruiters ? Quality employment recruiters understand about the NZ visa requirements and that it is a job offer first and then a visa. Not the other way around. Wiz'n'ton work in this field. I've sent him a message to see if he will drop by.

Perhaps your husband should contact the Project Management Institute of New Zealand and have a chat .

Wiz'n'Ton Dec 7th 2009 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8149140)
Wiz'n'ton work in this field. I've sent him a message to see if he will drop by.

Hi there. Not been on here for a while so if this has all been dealt with then not to worry.

When it comes to recruiting overseas candidates, the market has become fickle these past 12 months, with employers not really wanting - or needing - to hang around for overseas candidates to get visas unless they are in the skill shortage sector.

The first and most important question is: Are either of your professions in shortage here in NZ? If yes, then what are they and what types of job title can you see yourself having over here.

If no, then ask yourself what the chances of A) Finding work here with an employer that will wait for you to get a visa and B) That Immigration NZ will grant you a visa if it's a job a Kiwi could do. If the answer to both is 'not a good chance' then I would come over for a nice holiday and see what happens. Set the expectation that you'll return to the UK, and leave $ and your stuff over there. Then, if the worst happens you're prepared for it. If - on the other hand - you find your dream job and it all goes swimmingly then you're up and running.

We came to NZ with the view 'he who dares' and though I am yet to see if we are 'winning' the journey has been one heck of a ride!

danjones1 Dec 9th 2009 8:38 am

Have you actually been to NZ? (I am guessing not)

I am sure you will care when you get here. A job offer in Invercargill or Bluff is probably as depressing as being sent to Guantameno Bay, only colder.

BEVS Dec 9th 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by danjones1 (Post 8158508)

I am sure you will care when you get here. A job offer in Invercargill or Bluff is probably as depressing as being sent to Guantameno Bay, only colder.

:rolleyes: Give us all a break. People settle perfectly well in Invercargill.

It is not for you perhaps, but there you go.

Wiz'n'Ton Dec 9th 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by danjones1 (Post 8158508)

Haha! I can see why you might say that. Invercargill when we visited was cold, wet and the rain came at a 90 degree angle and we swore never again. However I have since met several folks who love it there, and find Chch and Canterbury 'too busy'! Mind you, one of them was from the Chatham Islands but you get my drift.

The more I get into the NZ outdoors scene, the more Southland appeals. But then I've always been a bit touched. ;)