Coming to NZ on a Working Visa

Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:36 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice
Default Re: Coming to NZ on a Working Visa

Spoonguy, There is no severe Labour shortage maybe in the Fruit Picking sector but certainly not in the Tourism sector.

When I raised this post it was to do with how a large employer my wife and I had worked for along with several other people had not renewed our contracts this year and told us basically at the last minute. Leaving us all to search for little work in the support town.

Work that the employer and others had with ease given to WHVs displacing the Local work force creating a local unemployment even though this figure is massaged by the fact my wife was able to get Part time employment. Our household income was severly impaired by that but meantime we see Temporary residents doing our jobs we needed to live in a community.

The result of that will be people who like myself give life to a community especially the Volunteer Fire Brigade may have to travel further afield for employment. That effect is the community suffers if there is a emergency (Road Accident, Fire etc) the cover is not there.

Before you say why dont you have a paid fire service? Yet another issue you will not understand and have no knowledge about.

Rural communities like my own are dieing and will die if the population of the town just becomes a migratory flock in for the season comprising of just WHVs. This impact will be felt in a time of crisis when no one has the local knowledge to deal with a incident.
Think I am exagerating? Our town area has over 75% of the houses Vacant used as holiday homes. We no longer have a Petrol Station , the Dairy has closed and the Post Office has shut that in the last 5 years. On a 9-5 weekday chances of getting more than 2 of us out on the Fire Appliance is slim at night/weekends we can get easily 10 people. Its 15 minutes or more for a another crew from elsewhere to back us up. Our nearest large town has a medical crisis with a shortage of medical staff.
We are one of the lucky areas but still severly under recruited for this reason.

What good is a WHV going to be to a community service like that? From that prospective WHVs are creating a skills shortage.

Bring people with real life skills into the area dont shut out the ones that have the skills and are being discarded by temporary residents. We dont need them they are Tourists, Tourists spend money into the economy. The cycle continue but you need permanant residence to give a community life. Easy to not understand living in a city.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

From the link you posted....

"This is no longer a seasonal issue," Oldershaw said. "Queenstown has quite rightly positioned itself as a year-round visitor experience and as such it requires a full staffing capacity to match that experience. I am aware of a few smaller tourism ventures in the area that have been forced to substantially reduce their trading hours due to some severe labor shortages."

As far as the volunteer fire brigade I am perfectly aware of it. I have spent a lot of time in NZ; I am not ignorant to the country, the politics or visa situations. I just don’t agree that WHVs given to UK citizens are a problem for the NZ economy.

WHV focus mainly on low skilled jobs in NZ. While WHV to the UK tend to fill skilled jobs, they come to London often staying longer with additional visas and bring back money to NZ to start their life. It’s what every young Kiwi in my office is doing. Reduce the visas for UK nationals in NZ and the UK may do the same, seriously impacting a way of life for many young New Zealanders.

I’ve been headhunted by for a job in NZ because of my skill set; I’ll be contributing significantly to the economy when I head back over. I have to deal with hiring people in NZ for jobs in NZ; I have done for some time. I have to consider my department’s finances; it’s not as black and white as you make out. I don’t think you can understand until you are responsible for other people’s jobs.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spoonguy
This is talking about severe labor shortages? Businesses unable to hire Kiwis to work the jobs? Has the working visa scheme caused people to leave Queenstown? The implication is that without the migrants they may as well shut shop.
By all accounts (again from listening to the radio reports) quite a few people would say that fewer tourists in Queenstown would be a good thing (in the same way that the residents of Prague and Vilnius aren't taken with that sort of tourism).
I suppose the same sentiments that Colin is feeling are felt by poorer folks in the UK as eastern europeans are "taking" "their" jobs and pushing them further into the underclass. My only real contact with this in the UK was in the food processing and growing industry where lots of graduates and other young people from Poland and the Baltic States (mainly) were coming to the UK to work for (what the locals would call) peanuts. This is all great for businesses looking to shave costs but at the end of the days does a large scale WHV scheme really work on the cost/benefit analysis? Not sure and not convinced that the Immigration people are either.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
By all accounts (again from listening to the radio reports) quite a few people would say that fewer tourists in Queenstown would be a good thing (in the same way that the residents of Prague and Vilnius aren't taken with that sort of tourism).
I suppose the same sentiments that Colin is feeling are felt by poorer folks in the UK as eastern europeans are "taking" "their" jobs and pushing them further into the underclass. My only real contact with this in the UK was in the food processing and growing industry where lots of graduates and other young people from Poland and the Baltic States (mainly) were coming to the UK to work for (what the locals would call) peanuts. This is all great for businesses looking to shave costs but at the end of the days does a large scale WHV scheme really work on the cost/benefit analysis? Not sure and not convinced that the Immigration people are either.

I understand the situation, my home town was mainly agricultural and dock work and has seen a massive influx of eastern Europeans. The difference is that they stayed in the town which is something Colin feels makes him different to people on WHVs. If anything Colin is in fact the equivalent of these eastern Europeans.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:49 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the situation, my home town was mainly agricultural and dock work and has seen a massive influx of eastern Europeans. The difference is that they stayed in the town which is something Colin feels makes him different to people on WHVs. If anything Colin is in fact the equivalent of these eastern Europeans.
In that analogy Colin is more like the bangladeshis, asians, affrocarribeans, etc who came to the UK earlier, stayed and naturalised, they came from the Commonwealth and so have more in common with UK, like Colin does with NZ as opposed to Eastern Europeans and either NZ or UK - Colin's main difference from the Eastern Europeans is that he has PR and that takes effort and commitment to get and he is committed to NZ. Those Poles, Lithuanians, etc in the vegetable plants I met weren't really in the UK for the long haul, they were in and out making cash to take home to supplement their family incomes, they were more like itinerants than immigrants. Colin is an immigrant, I'd imagine these WHVs in Queenstown, etc are mainly itinerants. But then I suppose for every 10 itinerants you might get an immigrant who stays to "contribute", I'll ask the ex-NZIS folks I work with for more info on that one. I still understand that being the meat in the cost-cutting sandwich between the "operators" in the "hospitality" industry (never been well paid at the best of times) and the students and other minimum-wage labour that they can pull in with the promise of a holiday/life in NZ (and there are people that do that and people that come over, overstay the visa and do all the other things that Colin complains of) is gonna be bad. Dont knock the guy if he has a go back at the system and those that are (in reality) taking away his livelihood, be they the bosses or the cheap labour! You never know you might be in the same position someday.

Last edited by lardyl; Aug 14th 2007 at 10:51 am.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

I don’t really see your point about having less in common with eastern Europeans than with commonwealth members. It’s amazing how much you find you have in common with other Europeans when you work mainly with Kiwis. Its really just about language barriers.

I understand Colin’s point completely I just disagree on a few key issues. The first being you should have PR and be competing for the same jobs as people on WHV. The typically unskilled nature of these jobs is why they usually ask people who want longer term visa to bring a skill set that is in short supply.

It’s not a new thing for non residents to fill these cheep labour roles in resort towns; it’s rarely been sustainable to raise a family on seasonal work. I grew up in a seaside town and have had to deal with the same issues from my first job. The resorts would most likely have to close all together if their operating costs were increased by all the overheads permanent staff entails.

I completely agree people on WHV should have restrictions, but working on resorts is where they are typically intended to end up.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

From the link you posted....

WHV focus mainly on low skilled jobs in NZ. While WHV to the UK tend to fill skilled jobs.
Is this true then about WHV and low skill jobs in NZ as I am coming over on a WHV (last option only) But I am a analytical chemist by trade and hope to get a position on a whv in a LAB. Are they truly only used for low skilled positions?

A little worrying if they are I may struggle to find work.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:04 pm
you dewty owld maan!

I don’t really see your point about having less in common with eastern Europeans than with commonwealth members. It’s amazing how much you find you have in common with other Europeans when you work mainly with Kiwis. Its really just about language barriers.
well, the NZ life reminds me of my youth and lots of aspects of it are more like the UK than Europe, at least the parts of it I have experienced which are all in Western Europe and hence more like UK than Poland, the Baltic States, etc.
I have more in common with most Kiwis than with other "European" immigrants into NZ (apart from Brits) irrespective of language (only met a very few Eastern Europeans around mainly at schools - dont work with any, they have no way to integrate into our work as their systems are so far away from the Uk/NZ model and they would be unlikely to get work - not all immigrants are IT bods, tradespeople or recruitment consultants). However, I do have more friends that are Pomms, Aussies and South Africans than Kiwis - that's more a state of mind I think as us ex-Pats seem to stick together and the Kiwis keep themselves to themselves, bit like some communities in the UK esp. in the 1960s and 70s.
As far as the Commonwealth goes, those immigrants in the 40s, 50s and 60s had more culturally in common with the UK than you might imagine if you didn't live through some of that period. Much of their schooling, sport and government structures were based on the British model and hence more readily understandable/integrateable than those from continental Europe, especially the east.
Suppose we will agree to differ on the finer points of that one, but I take your point on the casual work although some of the seasonal work in the resorts must have been done by locals and much of the support work that was year-round was done by locals.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
Is this true then about WHV and low skill jobs in NZ as I am coming over on a WHV (last option only) But I am a analytical chemist by trade and hope to get a position on a whv in a LAB. Are they truly only used for low skilled positions?

Not sure how much lab work there is about - you do realise that NZ doesnt do a great deal of chemistry and manufacturing? The only large scale chemical plant (a methanol one) was closed a few years ago, although we are now adding this very stuff to bio-fuels - hohum.....probably imported from Oz.
There isnt much work at the ESR labs either, they are awash with MSc qualified forensic bods and very few vacancies to fill, although there was "analytical chemistry" on one of the old local skill shortage lists a few years ago as I recall, (being a former forensic chemist and looking at that to suppliment MrsLs fantastic job opportunities). I can put out some feelers next week if you like, LL
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:13 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by ballsrburning

you aren't going to add the letter that comes before "[" on the kyboard to that "LAB" word are you??
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe what’s needed then is a subsidy to employers in these declining small towns when they employ locals, to offset the cost saving from hiring people on WHVs? A tax break if a certain percentage of employees are permanently employed locals?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Not sure how much lab work there is about - you do realise that NZ doesnt do a great deal of chemistry and manufacturing? The only large scale chemical plant (a methanol one) was closed a few years ago, although we are now adding this very stuff to bio-fuels - hohum.....probably imported from Oz.
There isnt much work at the ESR labs either, they are awash with MSc qualified forensic bods and very few vacancies to fill, although there was "analytical chemistry" on one of the old local skill shortage lists a few years ago as I recall, (being a former forensic chemist and looking at that to suppliment MrsLs fantastic job opportunities). I can put out some feelers next week if you like, LL
The analytical chemist postition has been extended to the whole of the north Island (used to be Auckland only) now and as you say is indeed still on the Immediate skills shortage list , so hopefully there is work available. If you could put some feelers out next week fella that would be excellent, and greatly appreciated,

To be honest the UK doesn't have that much forensic lab work either it is extremly difficult to get into.

Russ

and no I have no intention of adding the letter before the "[" to the LAB word
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:42 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Really need to be careful with referring to a area as a RESORT, resort implies it is solely set up just as a holiday centre geared towards a particular interest.

This is not the case.

Today i spoke to someone with a connection to the Chamber of Commerce and also has concerns on how the hospitality industry which is strong in our area is employing to many Itinerant staff.
His reason of concern is that this trend is having a adverse effect on the population of the area which in turn impacts on other business and growth in the area.
Anyways waste of time continuing discussing this with you guys seems the wheels are turning anyways and I just highlighted the problem and our experiance.
What you say wont make any differance weather you lose out is another topic.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

futurama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura aboutfuturama has a spectacular aura about

you aren't going to add the letter that comes before "[" on the kyboard to that "LAB" word are you??
What is the letter, coz I do not obviously have the same key board map as yourselves ...Ian
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:08 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by futurama
What is the letter, coz I do not obviously have the same key board map as yourselves ...Ian
are you taking the "P" ?????

hey this is a UK keyboard - still having probs with my Kiwi one at work - the main problem is the truncated <return> key.....grrr.....

However, after 7 months here my son of 5 now refers to "the dick" rather than the deck so maybe we have arrived?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.