Coming to NZ on a Working Visa

Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice
Default Re: Coming to NZ on a Working Visa

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
And maybe people who have been displaced in the work place which includes migrants with PR will be able to take on some of the work that they are being squezed out of?
To be honest if I was a born and bred local I'd be annoyed at people with PR moving in to my town and taking jobs. If you grow up in an area, have childhood friends and family there, then anyone moving in to take the employment you seek is going get to you.

I'd like to do my job by the sea where I grew up but there simply aren’t the right jobs there for me. I wish life was that easy but I had to move to London to pursue my career.

Seasonal work isn’t reliable in any country; it’s the nature of the work. I think you need to either create your own opportunity where you live or move away. Obviously you don’t want to move and can’t rely on the local employers.

In my opinion you are trying to take the jobs best suited to WHVs. People often need to move to get work, we would all settle next to a national park if it was that easy.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:23 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

put up or shut up
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:32 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Think I now remember why I left England.

What a bit of luck I am part of the community in the Fire Service and others actually agree with me that WHVs and non residents are causing the employment problems for those that settle or have lived all their life in one area.

People wonder why the towns have been dying well the answer is not the lack of work but the lack of work going to the people who should be getting it.

Think I will break in to Tourists cars and sell their stuff on trademe now there is an occupation with a thriving trade in this area Thats whats going to start happening if WHVs are not controlled.

Now what happens to the NZ Economy then spoonguy, Tourism is a way of life around these parts.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

Id say what needs to be reevaluated is the ability of people to get gainful employment before granting them a PR visa; they should never have put you in the position in the first place.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:54 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Id say what needs to be reevaluated is the ability of people to get gainful employment before granting them a PR visa; they should never have put you in the position in the first place.
Now this is funny once you get off that plane NZIS are NO help what so ever, we have been here 4 half years. Your on your own Jack.

Requirement for us was to get a permanant employment offer to the principle applicant which was my wife which we achieved. For all intensive purposes as of 17 months ago we were eligible for citizinship of New Zealand. Since we now have a Daughhter who is automatically a New Zealander under those rules.

NZIS needs to look at how it grants temporary work visa not PR visas.

workingNOMAD,
Note: I have heard that they are increasing the numbers of WHVs to Brits and other countries. NZ will soon be awash with WHM. Think it is time you got that one way to Heathrow before your frustration leads to something you might regret.
Well thats a disaster for rural sections New Zealand then just waiting to happen. One that at the Next General Election for the second time I will be using my right to Vote.

audacity to have a go at WHV when you had one yourself!
why not? The rules have changed since I got one more of them have been allocated. The employers had to apply for permission to hire WHVs staff and provide evidence of a shortage.

Why not just scrap PR visa and just issue WHVs instead? Both of you seem to agree that unless you take on a Job for Life in NZ then you dont have the rights to live here.

I dont have the right to complain? Must remeber that when I next vote in the Local Council Elections then the General Election.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 6:03 am
Banned

southerncomforts is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the replies to this post have been rather cynical, I have to agree that a increase to the amount of Working Holiday Visas is just another way of the immigration service allowing people into the country without the skills that are required.
While theses people maybe filling a short fall in the unskilled work force some of them are taking work away from the very people who give soul to a community and the longevity that it needs to survive.
I think it shows great courage for someone to stand up and say that despite the fact they were introduced to New Zealand life by a working Holiday Visa. They then followed it up with a lengthy no doubt application for permanent residency.
The Immigration service was quite happy to take his money and put him through the checks required but like all of us once we entered New Zealand found ourselves without much further support.
Now the same people are inviting in more temporary residents who may or may not live her permanatly one day to take the work for the lifestyle of choosing.
Maybe there is a bit of that prejudice towards Working Holiday Visa spilling over to Colins Permanent Residency as the employers see him as the threat as well? That is a shame for someone to come halfway around the globe settle in an area for over 4 years to now find they cannot continue that lifestyle.

Give the employers a good rarking they deserve it.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 1:31 am
Banned

Working nomad and Spoonguy, are either of you Permanant Residents or just floaters heading between here and the UK becuae you cant make your mind up?

I can see in Working Nomads case that a restriction of Working Visas would prevent his casual lifestyle portryed on his website.

Unlike you guys I set my self a target of living in New Zealand living where I wanted, gave up a lot to get there depite a few set backs on the way. I am not here for a carreer I am here for my Daughter and the lifestyle.

My shackles and ties to the UK are severed when my UK passport expires in 4 months time, one thing I do not regret is giving up the UK passport in favour of the NZ passport.

So yes I feel strongly against having that lifestyle and dedication to a country threatened by the ease of a TEMPORARY resident being able to take work from my community, and financial security to provide for my family without goverment hand outs.

Maybe there is a bit of that prejudice towards Working Holiday Visa spilling over to Colins Permanent Residency as the employers see him as the threat as well?
Now you mention it initially the employers I have spoken to via telephone often think that I am one of those temporary residents just here for the winter. Those employers are the ones that are reluctant to hire non kiwis which places me in a catch 22 situation, either they hire me as a Temporary Resident or not at all.
My wife initial had some difficulty with some of the staff at the hotel she got a part time job at until she pointed out she owned her own home in the area, ironically her Boss is english as well.

The employers that mainly target the temporary residents are the ones that are displacing the local workforce unable to get them jobs.

One of the difficulties and prejudices that any immigrant can expect and one NZIS dont help you with once your in the country.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 5:29 am
Banned

southerncomforts is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question for Colin and that is would he still have moved to New Zealand if he had not had a Working Holiday Visa?

I know myself I took 6 months leave to scout the country to see if I liked the place first. What has surprised me is unlike Australia someone on a working holiday visa is not restricted to specific employer or restricted to a maximum of 3 months with an employer like in Australia.
Recent rule changes mean they can work for the same employer for 12 months in a 2 year period.
How can someone say they are on a Working Holiday if they are in the same place for 6 months or more? The word is Holiday not work meaning they are indeed casual.
If indeed it was a skill that was required and a work visa was issued to which tighter controls exist then maybe Colin and others would not be having this problem?

I dont think Working Holiday Visa have any good impact to the economy of the country in gaining the right people to the country which Work Visa and Permanent Residency has. Since Colin and his Wife are Permamant Residence then they have fulfilled what the New Zealand Goverment required to stay.

Did this debate not rise because Colin has found that employers are exploiting this flaw and treating him and others unfairly because of it? Yet a few people seem to be making out it is his fault.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:30 am
Banned

I dont think it would have made any differance to me I would have still applied for PR only reason I did is I met someone who also wanted to get out of the UK and we combined our points.

My brother came over to NZ in 1986 with the Devonport Dockyard on a 3 year contract and stayed. I came over originally for a holiday then found out about the WHVs after that I had 1 more 4 week holiday and did two 3 month stints in the summers working for the Department of Conservation as a unpaid Volunteer.

Even without the WHV I would still have taken part in any unpaid volunteer position just to give me a excuse to stay in NZ.

Odd then that the only roles I have no trouble with our unpaid Volunteer work with Fire Service.

Quite agree with you that a time restriction should be placed on who long a WHV works for and that they do not impeed those with a genuine entitlement to work for the country they live in full time thats what I have been trying to say
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:02 am
Banned

Cool Anthony you should try Queenstown should fit well into your lifestyle.

Internet is a great place to conduct business
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

I'd hardy describe myself as a floater. It's not a case of making up my mind, I’m not ready settle one place; I’ve done well for myself got and have the opportunity to work in different locations. I'm filling a skills shortage; I'm contributing to the NZ economy.

I don’t agree with your points. I don’t believe you have a right to live in any area, I think it’s a privilege that some people are lucky to have. I understand you gave up a lot to be in NZ but they didn’t guarantee you a job of your choice between two national parks.

Resort jobs where I’ve worked are not given to locals because they are more likely to live to a budget, expect salary rises and a career progression, pensions etc. Less likely to spend what they earn, more likely to save. WHV’s make more money for these types of jobs and are a very good system.

There are plenty of jobs out there; you just have to be more realistic. People on Working holidays aren’t the problem, if the company didn’t want them they wouldn’t be working there.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:39 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is funny once you get off that plane NZIS are NO help what so ever, we have been here 4 half years. Your on your own Jack.....NZIS needs to look at how it grants temporary work visa not PR visas.
.....why not? The rules have changed since I got one more of them have been allocated. The employers had to apply for permission to hire WHVs staff and provide evidence of a shortage.....
actually this was on the news (NZ National) the other day whe they reported that Immigration are looking into these temporary visas and how easy they are to come by for seasonal work - mentioned Queenstown (I recall). Somone somewhere is listening to you, Colin. Keep the Faith, Good luck to you and yours, LL
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:23 am
Banned

Thanks for that I have thought of contacting John Key and looks like our situation may be one of interest to him. Especially as we are a potential 4 votes for him next election

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007-...rant-labor.htm

This must be what your refering to.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:04 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that I have thought of contacting John Key and looks like our situation may be one of interest to him. Especially as we are a potential 4 votes for him next election

indeed all sounds familiar
Old Aug 13th 2007, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

This is talking about severe labor shortages? Businesses unable to hire Kiwis to work the jobs? Has the working visa scheme caused people to leave Queenstown? The implication is that without the migrants they may as well shut shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.