Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

claiming points for various qualifications?

claiming points for various qualifications?

Old Nov 29th 2011, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

adso1404 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default claiming points for various qualifications?

Hello,

Like an earlier poster said, my apologies if my question looks a bit daft but after months of struggling with the Australian immigration system I am just starting to get to grips with NZ's.

I am looking to submit an EOI quoting "Translator" (Level 1) as my occupation (thankfully, it is on the ANZSCO list).

The question is: can I claim points for my BA (Hons) in law (level 8, 50 points) AND my UK Diploma in Translation (level 4-6, 40 points)?.

Assuming you can claim points for two qualifications, do they both have to be related to your occupation?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Alex

Last edited by adso1404; Nov 29th 2011 at 7:57 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 12:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: claiming points for various qualifications?

If you are applying under the occupation of Translator under the Skilled Migrant category, then the qualification you should use would be the one related to that occupation. The diploma .

No you cannot claim for both.

This is a useful tool from the NZIS website POINTS INDICATOR
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
If you are applying under the occupation of Translator under the Skilled Migrant category, then the qualification you should use would be the one related to that occupation. The diploma .

No you cannot claim for both.

This is a useful tool from the NZIS website POINTS INDICATOR
Hello Bev's

Thank you very much for your answer, which I am not disputing as obviously you MUST be far more familiar than I am with the intricacies of the NZ immigration system. However, with the points indicator tool you can tick qualifications at different levels -e.g. a BA (Hons) level 8 and a Diploma in Translation (level 4, I think)-and you don't get an error message... So it would appear that this combination is not "forbidden" by the system...
Anyway, thanks again for the tip
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

GNU.A is an unknown quantity at this point

This is just to eliminate potentially wrong point calculation from that "However" word.

The following sentence is the point from INZ website.

"Note: Points for recognised qualifications are not cumulative. A principal applicant may qualify for only 40, 50, or 60 points. For example, if an applicant has two level nine qualifications on the NZQF they may still only qualify for 60 points."

BEVS is absolutely right that you cannot claim points for various qualification.

If you still have doubt, you can check from http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42637.htm

Hope it clarify and all the best, mate.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by adso1404
Hello Bev's

Thank you very much for your answer, which I am not disputing as obviously you MUST be far more familiar than I am with the intricacies of the NZ immigration system. However, with the points indicator tool you can tick qualifications at different levels -e.g. a BA (Hons) level 8 and a Diploma in Translation (level 4, I think)-and you don't get an error message... So it would appear that this combination is not "forbidden" by the system...
Anyway, thanks again for the tip
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: claiming points for various qualifications?

Beautifully explained answer GNU.A, thank you. Perhaps the Immigration people should correct the points calculator tool! I think the Australians are better at this
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:34 am
MVM
Just Joined

MVM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adso1404
Hello,

Like an earlier poster said, my apologies if my question looks a bit daft but after months of struggling with the Australian immigration system I am just starting to get to grips with NZ's.

I am looking to submit an EOI quoting "Translator" (Level 1) as my occupation (thankfully, it is on the ANZSCO list).

The question is: can I claim points for my BA (Hons) in law (level 8, 50 points) AND my UK Diploma in Translation (level 4-6, 40 points)?.

Assuming you can claim points for two qualifications, do they both have to be related to your occupation?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Alex
Hi Alex
It is important to check first whether your diploma is recognised as per list of recognised qualifications OR you can get equivalency from NZQA. In addition, you can claim points for your BA as well, however, in order to claim points for recognised working experience you will need to establish why you believe that this is Skilled i.e. relevant to skilled work experience OR recognised qualification.
I am happy to do a free eligibility assessment if you are interested (I am licensed adviser and registered migration agent for Australia as well).

Shehzad Raja
IAA#200901559
MARN 0956970