British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   City in guilds without NVQ for points ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/city-guilds-without-nvq-points-820418/)

Starryjude Jan 5th 2014 11:04 am

City in guilds without NVQ for points ?

Hi all
We are planning to move to NZ in the next couple of years and are looking to see how we score points wise ,our plan is to go with my partner as the main applicant as she has a a degree and will be the main earner if she manages to find a teaching job ,I have a city in guilds 6129 but without an NVQ and I can't work out if this will score any points ,also as my partners highest scoring qualification is the degree does she score additional point for other qualifications ie:PGCE of other NVQ,s she gained prior to teacher training.
Our other concern is how easy it will be for her to find a music teaching post prior to moving and indeed is that a realistic goal .
Any advice would be most appreciated,
Jude and Shane

Stormer999 Jan 5th 2014 6:54 pm

Re: City in guilds without NVQ for points ?

Originally Posted by Starryjude (Post 11063796)
Hi all
We are planning to move to NZ in the next couple of years and are looking to see how we score points wise ,our plan is to go with my partner as the main applicant as she has a a degree and will be the main earner if she manages to find a teaching job ,I have a city in guilds 6129 but without an NVQ and I can't work out if this will score any points ,also as my partners highest scoring qualification is the degree does she score additional point for other qualifications ie:PGCE of other NVQ,s she gained prior to teacher training.
Our other concern is how easy it will be for her to find a music teaching post prior to moving and indeed is that a realistic goal .
Any advice would be most appreciated,
Jude and Shane

C&G 6129....plumbing ?
If so Bevs is an expert in that field......either way you have to comply with NZ regs.;)

Starryjude Jan 5th 2014 7:19 pm

Yes plumbing ,I have no intention in working in the plumbing field but just figured if the more quals you can pull together as a couple the better your score ,andit was worth looking into ,but didn't realise it was only the quals you intend to use that count ,the plumbing qual came about as a result of fitting kitchens and bathrooms in properties we have renovated in the UK and at the time it seemed a good idea to do some training so we could make a good job of it,thanks for your views
Cheers
Shane and Jude

MrsFychan Jan 5th 2014 8:03 pm

if you are claiming points for trade work I believe you have to get them assessed and there is cost to that. As Stormer says Bevs is hot on this so I shall flag up this post to her and hopefully she will be along soon to help out.

Persephone Jan 6th 2014 4:20 pm

I'm not up on trade quals so I'll leave that to BEVS!;)

Your wife can only claim points for one of her qualifications. As her partner you may be able to claim 10-20 pts for your qualification depending on the level it is assessed at.
Have you looked at teacher registration yet?

Starryjude Jan 7th 2014 8:02 am

Many thanks ,we haven't looked at teacher registration yet as were still exploring wether finding a job is lightly I have read a few posts that indicate there are many more applicants for the teaching post than there are posts also now that teaching is not on the skills shortage list and the employer has to prove they couldn't get a Kiwi for the job it seems a lot less lightly than we anticipated ,maybe I have just stumbled across a few negative posts not truly reflecting what's happening in the profession ?