Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

City & Guilds Qaulification not recognised!

City & Guilds Qaulification not recognised!

Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Bald Englishman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default City & Guilds Qaulification not recognised!

Hi, I'm over here working as a ladies hairdresser on a 23 month temp visa. I have a city & guilds qualification in ladies hairdressing. According to NZIS the ladies hairdressing qualification comes in two parts; well it doesn't! It comes as one whole qualification. Having obtained a letter from the London Institute of City & Guilds, confirming that it only comes as one whole qualification and NOT two parts, immigration decided not to believe the institute. So they told me to apply for a PAR, if it came to level 3 on the register I could have my 50 points which I need. Having come back at level 3 on the register, I said to immigration, " can I have my 50 points?"..."NO" says immigration. "why's that then?" says I, "because you don't have a part one and part two in City & Guilds" says immigration. "but you know that doesn't exist" says I, "tough" says immigration. :curse::curse: So having worked my way up the ladder with immigration officials (I had been declined by now on the basis of not enough points) I decided to see my local MP here. He wrote to the assistant commissioner of immigration, explaining that an injustice had been done. I received a reply from the commissioner saying that in this case they weren't prepared to make an exception...well, I didn't want an exception! I wanted them to realise that a mistake had been made in their bumpf. All is not lost however, after working for 12 months I can claim an extra 15 points and now that my wife has a full time job that's another 20 points...therefore enter the EOI pool. The daft thing is that immigration have recognised my C&G PAR qualification at level 3 for my temp visa!!! It seems that there is a grey area in this qualification issue and it depends on which case officer you get, as I KNOW that there are people out here with the same qualification as mine who were awarded 50 points for it!
So to my point, are there any hairdressers out there with a recent application, using their City &Guilds to claim points, and been granted them?????
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:22 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: City & Guilds Qaulification not recognised!

Originally Posted by Bald Englishman
Hi, I'm over here working as a ladies hairdresser on a 23 month temp visa. I have a city & guilds qualification in ladies hairdressing. According to NZIS the ladies hairdressing qualification comes in two parts; well it doesn't! It comes as one whole qualification. Having obtained a letter from the London Institute of City & Guilds, confirming that it only comes as one whole qualification and NOT two parts, immigration decided not to believe the institute. So they told me to apply for a PAR, if it came to level 3 on the register I could have my 50 points which I need. Having come back at level 3 on the register, I said to immigration, " can I have my 50 points?"..."NO" says immigration. "why's that then?" says I, "because you don't have a part one and part two in City & Guilds" says immigration. "but you know that doesn't exist" says I, "tough" says immigration. :curse::curse: So having worked my way up the ladder with immigration officials (I had been declined by now on the basis of not enough points) I decided to see my local MP here. He wrote to the assistant commissioner of immigration, explaining that an injustice had been done. I received a reply from the commissioner saying that in this case they weren't prepared to make an exception...well, I didn't want an exception! I wanted them to realise that a mistake had been made in their bumpf. All is not lost however, after working for 12 months I can claim an extra 15 points and now that my wife has a full time job that's another 20 points...therefore enter the EOI pool. The daft thing is that immigration have recognised my C&G PAR qualification at level 3 for my temp visa!!! It seems that there is a grey area in this qualification issue and it depends on which case officer you get, as I KNOW that there are people out here with the same qualification as mine who were awarded 50 points for it!
So to my point, are there any hairdressers out there with a recent application, using their City &Guilds to claim points, and been granted them?????
Move to Aus instead and the weathers warmer, well maybe not this week. However, even if they let you in to Aus once here you will find according to Aussies their qualifications are always superior to UK ones even if they are based on Post Man Pat and Peter and Jane.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately the Aus and NZ systems now read the same
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bald Englishman
Unfortunately the Aus and NZ systems now read the same
Shame, well you could always get City and Guilds to split your course in 2 if they insist it's a 2 part course and try again.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by annqldau
Shame, well you could always get City and Guilds to split your course in 2 if they insist it's a 2 part course and try again.
How very novel. Not much help if someone is seriously wanting to live here in NZ permanently, but fun.

Originally Posted by baldenglishman
Hi, I'm over here working as a ladies hairdresser on a 23 month temp visa. I have a city & guilds qualification in ladies hairdressing.
23 months temp visa? What sort of temp visa please? I know which one i think you are referring to.

Love the username , by the way, English Bald Man for a hairdresser

. Having obtained a letter from the London Institute of City & Guilds, confirming that it only comes as one whole qualification and NOT two parts, immigration decided not to believe the institute. So they told me to apply for a PAR, if it came to level 3 on the register I could have my 50 points which I need. Having come back at level 3 on the register, I said to immigration, " can I have my 50 points?"..."NO" says immigration. "why's that then?" says I, "because you don't have a part one and part two in City & Guilds" says immigration. "but you know that doesn't exist" says I, "tough" says immigration.
UUmm. I'm not certain what's happening here.

What have you applied for and under which policy? I understand the above is anecdotal possibly to a certain degree but what has actually happened. Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Basicly I applied for residency under the skilled migrant catorgary and was declined because immigration says my qualification comes in 2 parts. It doesn't It comes as one whole. Therefore they told me I was claiming points I shouldn't. The visa is just a normal tempory work visa which is obtained if you have a job offer and fit immigrations criteria.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

coltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nice

Mmmmmmmm or could it be that they now feel the place is filling up with people they just really cant employ and so are just upping the anti ? maybe to get a few extra bob out of ya ? hey or it may jus be me ! lol
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: City & Guilds Qaulification not recognised!

Originally Posted by coltheplumb
Mmmmmmmm or could it be that they now feel the place is filling up with people they just really cant employ and so are just upping the anti ? maybe to get a few extra bob out of ya ? hey or it may jus be me ! lol
The really stupid thing about all this is that New Zealand is really short of qualified hairstylists........It all just doesnt make sense to me mind you a lot doesnt nowdays lol.............Is it just me or has the whole world gone politically correct.....Madness......Its like NZ is also really short of the medical profession but for some reason it takes at least 6 months for a friend of mine whos involved with hiring them to get their professional credentials cleared as you guys say New Zealand seems to know how to charge for the PR thingee i was gobsmacked when i read how much its costing people to get accepted to come here it really seems a shame when you are kept waiting for so long.

Keep plugging along people you will get there in the end i think that maybe sometimes it also can depend on who you strike on the day as to what happens as well...........