British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Citizenship Tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜ƒ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/citizenship-tomorrow-%F0%9F%98%83-913560/)

TommyLuck Jun 4th 2018 10:53 am

Citizenship Tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hello BEers!!

Just popping in to say I get my citizenship tomorrow (Tue 5 Jun) as part of a ceremony at Auckland townhall.

For those interested in timelines;

- I met my case officer on 5 March to submit my application in person
- I received a letter, dated 12 Apr, telling me Iโ€™d been granted Citizenship
- I got a letter, dated 7 May, telling me my ceremony date
- 5 June Iโ€™ll be made a Kiwi

Obviously timelines might change for a number of reasons, so just sharing FYI really.

Iโ€™m feeling pretty happy to becoming a NZer tomorrow. It signifies a pretty good stretch here in NZ which on the whole has been good to me and my family.

Lastly Iโ€™ll leave you with this quote from my 7 year old daughter;

โ€Dad. Iโ€™m really pleased you get to become a New Zealand tomorrow, like me and Mum. But something tells me itโ€™s (the ceremony) going to be really boring ... can I take your iPad ...?โ€ ๐Ÿ˜†

Clappy Jun 4th 2018 11:30 am

Re: Citizenship Tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 12510189)
Hello BEers!!

Just popping in to say I get my citizenship tomorrow (Tue 5 Jun) as part of a ceremony at Auckland townhall.

For those interested in timelines;

- I met my case officer on 5 March to submit my application in person
- I received a letter, dated 12 Apr, telling me Iโ€™d been granted Citizenship
- I got a letter, dated 7 May, telling me my ceremony date
- 5 June Iโ€™ll be made a Kiwi

Obviously timelines might change for a number of reasons, so just sharing FYI really.

Iโ€™m feeling pretty happy to becoming a NZer tomorrow. It signifies a pretty good stretch here in NZ which on the whole has been good to me and my family.

Lastly Iโ€™ll leave you with this quote from my 7 year old daughter;

โ€Dad. Iโ€™m really pleased you get to become a New Zealand tomorrow, like me and Mum. But something tells me itโ€™s (the ceremony) going to be really boring ... can I take your iPad ...?โ€ ๏ฟฝ ๏ฟฝ๏ฟฝ๏ฟฝ๏ฟฝ

Great news!

(It will be very boring for your daughter though. Most of it will be very boring for you too - there were a lot of new citizens to get through at my ceremony in Auckland townhall just a few years ago).

janiejones Jun 5th 2018 9:15 am

Glad to see you back on BE Tommy. Hope your ceremony went well, I've just got back from my friend's ceremony in Wellington tonight. He came to mine a few years ago, so invited me to his :-)

MrsFychan Jun 5th 2018 7:44 pm

Congrats on your Citizenship, hope your ceremony and photo are good.
I'm always interested in what little present they give you, myself and DD got a flower made from flax, DS got a keyring of a miniture $10.00 bill and MrF got a small book, can't remember what it was on though and he now can't find it :angry_smile:

Snap Shot Jun 5th 2018 9:53 pm

Nice one Tommy (my birthday is 5 June by coincidence)
Hope it went well and you didn't have to wait to long before your name got called.

I got a greenstone necklace as my Citizenship Ceremony present. I have it and keep it precious.

MrsFychan Jun 6th 2018 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12511127)
I got a greenstone necklace as my Citizenship Ceremony present. I have it and keep it precious.

Happy Birthday for yesterday, put up an update as to how the move back to UK is going in the update forum when you get a mo

wow you got a great present.

BEVS Jun 6th 2018 3:11 am

Nice to see you TL. Hope your ceremony was memorable.

We got two spindly kowhai trees. Made us laugh it did as they grow like weeds and we are always pulling up baby ones.

MrBEVS did try to decapitate the mayor though . He'd offered to move the flagstaff through the door to outside for the assorted photo shoots.

Snap Shot Jun 6th 2018 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12511220)
Happy Birthday for yesterday, put up an update as to how the move back to UK is going in the update forum when you get a mo

wow you got a great present.

Thanks. I'll update soon.

TL - will you apply for your NZ Passport now you have your NZ citizenship ?

TommyLuck Jun 14th 2018 4:58 am

I quite enjoyed the ceremony!

Perhaps I'd downplayed it in my head, but it was actually quite engaging.

The sheer volumes of names being rattled off was the dullest part for sure!

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12511064)
Congrats on your Citizenship, hope your ceremony and photo are good.
I'm always interested in what little present they give you, myself and DD got a flower made from flax, DS got a keyring of a miniture $10.00 bill and MrF got a small book, can't remember what it was on though and he now can't find it :angry_smile:

Yay!

I got given a book of stories about immigrants from around the world and what New Zealand means to them.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12511127)
Nice one Tommy (my birthday is 5 June by coincidence)
Hope it went well and you didn't have to wait to long before your name got called.

I was about a third of the way through, I reckon.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12511685)
Thanks. I'll update soon.

TL - will you apply for your NZ Passport now you have your NZ citizenship ?

Absolutely. I am in the process. $180 well spent.