Citizenship question

Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:28 am
Just Joined

nzewe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship question

Anyone help with a residence query? We have PR and are considering going for citizenship. Our daughter, who also has PR, is currently in the UK and has spent part of the last 5 years over there. (She doesn't do winters)! I have entered the dates she has been away in the DIA website and that states that she is eligible for citizenship. However, looking at the dates for 2011 it seems to me that she will not have been here for 240 days as required. So, my question is: is there anyway to check this and get an opinion without spending $400+, only to be told that she is not eligible? She is intending returning to NZ soon.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally Posted by nzewe
So, my question is: is there anyway to check this and get an opinion without spending $400+, only to be told that she is not eligible? She is intending returning to NZ soon.
A considered opinion from one of the few lawyers out there who have had any experience with the Citizenship Act will could cost more than NZ$400.

If she falls short of the requirements on the DIA website then she may be out of luck. You can download the Operational Manual to see if there is any flexibility but in hindsight, it might have been smarter to get her NZ citizenship first and spend time in UK later.