British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Citizenship information (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/citizenship-information-542842/)

simon-nall Jun 13th 2008 3:09 pm

Citizenship information

Hi all
Thank you all who answer question for us in the past few months. We now have a residency visas (yippee….) :thumbup: and getting ready to move.
As I understand I can apply for citizenship after 5 years (this used to be 3 years) this then allows us to live in any of the Australasia area.
As immigration is slow in giving out information is there a cut off age likey to apply for this process, like the initial immigration process.
At present I am 49 and I don’t want to find I have to leave at the age of 55 after 6 years of settling down buying a home.
As I am in this move is the last and have no intensions in coming back to the UK.

Elaine B. Jun 13th 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Citizenship information

Originally Posted by simon-nall (Post 6463812)
Hi all
Thank you all who answer question for us in the past few months. We now have a residency visas (yippee….) :thumbup: and getting ready to move.
As I understand I can apply for citizenship after 5 years (this used to be 3 years) this then allows us to love in any of the Australasia area.
As immigration is slow in giving out information is there a cut off age like to apply for this process like the initial immigration process.
At present I am 49 and I don’t want to find I have to leave at the age of 55 after 6 years of settling down buying a home.
As I am in this move is the last and have no intensions in coming back to the UK.

That is a bonus:thumbsup:

simon-nall Jun 13th 2008 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6463906)
That is a bonus:thumbsup:

hu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Elaine B. Jun 13th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by simon-nall (Post 6464008)
hu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

I thought your typo was funny.

(I'll get my coat.)

simon-nall Jun 13th 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6464027)
I thought your typo was funny.

(I'll get my coat.)

no my fingers are too fat for the keyboard :eek::rofl:

NakiMan Jun 17th 2008 4:29 am

Hi

As I understand it, permenent residence is just what the name says, its permenent and doesnt depend on you applying for citizenship.

You won't be told to leave after 5 years if you dont apply for citizenship.

As far as i'm aware there is no upper age limit on applying for citizenship

And yes, A NZ citizen has the right to live and work in Australia, its a great bonus :thumbsup:

Mike