British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Citizenship dates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/citizenship-dates-923717/)

nikkijane88 Mar 30th 2019 11:01 pm

Citizenship dates

Ive sent a request to DIA but thought I’d see if anyone else has gone through it.

When we came on residence visas everything was based on husbands dates including removal of conditions, despite me arriving 3 months after.

He can apply for citizenship at the start of September and we are trying to work out if I apply at the same time, or actually wait til my 5 year point? I’m guessing the latter, but would have been nice to do it at the same time.

escapedtonz Mar 31st 2019 9:04 am

Re: Citizenship dates

You can apply for citizenship before your actual date of eligibility, however I'm unsure how many weeks or months before you can officially do it from.
Don't get what the big rush is about though ? Why do you have to apply as soon as you become eligible. Why not leave it till you can all apply and go to the same ceremony or later so you are all sure you can apply ?
We've been here over 7 years, eligible for over 2 years and haven't yet done it as we've always had more important things to spend the money on. At today's prices it would cost us $1175.50 for 2 adults and one child plus the costs associated with passports for 2 adults and 2 children. There'd be little change out of 2 grand. Hardly seems worth it as we wouldn't benefit out of it and we aren't planning on travelling overseas anytime soon so don't see the point.

nikkijane88 Mar 31st 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12663635)
You can apply for citizenship before your actual date of eligibility, however I'm unsure how many weeks or months before you can officially do it from.
Don't get what the big rush is about though ? Why do you have to apply as soon as you become eligible. Why not leave it till you can all apply and go to the same ceremony or later so you are all sure you can apply ?
We've been here over 7 years, eligible for over 2 years and haven't yet done it as we've always had more important things to spend the money on. At today's prices it would cost us $1175.50 for 2 adults and one child plus the costs associated with passports for 2 adults and 2 children. There'd be little change out of 2 grand. Hardly seems worth it as we wouldn't benefit out of it and we aren't planning on travelling overseas anytime soon so don't see the point.

1. Why not apply?
2. Husband has to, it’s built into his contract for work. Every new contract or change at work they have to amend his one only to include “upon gaining citizenship”, so we do have a big push. We are an Air Force family so don’t exactly have the option not to, it’s not as simple as just waiting it out. For us it’s an expectation

Maybe I’ll just wait and see what DIA come back with, I only wanted to see if someone had actually done it early or not.

nikkijane88 Apr 1st 2019 3:43 am

Never mind... DIA got back to me so I have an actual answer

escapedtonz Apr 2nd 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by nikkijane88 (Post 12663816)

1. Why not apply?
2. Husband has to, it’s built into his contract for work. Every new contract or change at work they have to amend his one only to include “upon gaining citizenship”, so we do have a big push. We are an Air Force family so don’t exactly have the option not to, it’s not as simple as just waiting it out. For us it’s an expectation

Maybe I’ll just wait and see what DIA come back with, I only wanted to see if someone had actually done it early or not.

1. I didn't mention anything about you not applying. I merely asked why the rush to do it the moment you are eligible.
2. Really ? As far as I'm aware the specific requirement for the NZ Defence Forces is that you become the holder of an NZ Residence Class Visa within a stipulated number of years to ensure you continue to be able to live and work in NZ permanently. No mention of Citizenship. I'd question the legalities of an employer stipulating you must become a citizen as it may impact on citizenship of your country of origin or any others you hold as some countries don't allow dual citizenship. If his contract does state that I hope the employer is paying for it and the rest of the family.

nikkijane88 Apr 2nd 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12664587)
1. I didn't mention anything about you not applying. I merely asked why the rush to do it the moment you are eligible.
2. Really ? As far as I'm aware the specific requirement for the NZ Defence Forces is that you become the holder of an NZ Residence Class Visa within a stipulated number of years to ensure you continue to be able to live and work in NZ permanently. No mention of Citizenship. I'd question the legalities of an employer stipulating you must become a citizen as it may impact on citizenship of your country of origin or any others you hold as some countries don't allow dual citizenship. If his contract does state that I hope the employer is paying for it and the rest of the family.

Apologies, I hadn’t realised you were also in the defence force? You must have had a different offer of service, maybe dependant on which force and the job. The website details are very different to reality of it. We were always advised if the process and knew this. There are further reasons behind it within the DF that I fully make sense based on what his role is, of which is not what we originally moved over for. He wouldn’t lose his job but it makes parts of the job more difficult without citizenship.

We have no concerns about legalities and always said if we were eligible we would apply. For us personally, it makes sense to get citizenship from our home :-)

BEVS Apr 17th 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by nikkijane88 (Post 12663539)
Ive sent a request to DIA but thought I’d see if anyone else has gone through it.

When we came on residence visas everything was based on husbands dates including removal of conditions, despite me arriving 3 months after.

He can apply for citizenship at the start of September and we are trying to work out if I apply at the same time, or actually wait til my 5 year point? I’m guessing the latter, but would have been nice to do it at the same time.

Morning to you.

I also arrived about 3 months after my husband. My visas were based on the back of his application just as was yours. If you look his visa dates and your dates will be the same. I simply activated the visa a little while later .

We applied for citizenship at the same time & gained our joint Citizenship by Grant at the same time. NZ will want you to become ciitzens as a family. If you are UKers you will retain that citizenship also of course.

FWIW. There is no need to explain you or your employers reasoning to anyone else at all unless perhaps it is to help clarify a point to help a response . It is absolutely your personal choice and if the NZ defence force feel this is a better way to go , then so be it. Given that indefinite residency is just that and no more - that immigration policies are reviewed & rules/ regs can be adjusted or altered - then I can quite see why the NZDF would be strongly suggesting that citizenship be the final step. It is foolproof.

At the moment it takes 5 years as you know and you are on the cusp. In times to come that period may be further extended or made more difficult to attain. Given the NZDF puts money, time, effort and training into the overseas person , it makes logical sense for the country that it ensures its trained personnel have a bullet proof right to remain in NZ.

Good luck and let us know how the ceremony goes when you get to that. It might be a great one given it is the NZDF.

nikkijane88 Nov 9th 2019 8:18 pm

Well turns out that was a very easy 3 month process, will be done and dusted in a few weeks 😊