CITIZENSHIP

Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:55 am
Just Joined

cande2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CITIZENSHIP

Hi

When applying for citizenship you have to state that it is your intention to remain living in NZ. They also ask if you have any plans to travel out of NZ within the next 12 months.

Has anyone considered returning to the UK once citizenship has been granted? (having dual UK/NZ citizenship)
We currently have permanent resident visas and have had them for 5 years which obviously let us travel in and out indefinitely.

Just what wondering what the position is having been granted NZ citizenship and then returning to the UK at some point without having NZ citizenship annulled????

I guess it is something that others have had to consider….any ideas??

Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:17 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITIZENSHIP

I don't know the answer to this at all, but interests me too as we're in a similar position
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:25 am
Just Joined

You can sign the declaration to say it is your intention to remain in NZ and be granted NZ citizenship...the key point is that circumstances can change and how moving back to the UK would be subsequently viewed???

It will be useful if anyone had any thoughts/experience.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 5:43 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I think it may be frowned upon if you take up citizenship then opt out of the country immediately. Doesn't mean you can't leave if you need/wish to at some stage later on and I can't see why you would necessarily have to give up your citizenship for NZ unless of course you wish to gain a further citizenship from another country that does not allow more than X amount of passports/citizenships.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks.

I agree that it may be frowned upon if you exit NZ immediately upon grant of citizenship. Particularly, say, if you headed straight to OZ and were viewed as playing the system by trying to circumvent Australian immigration requirements.

But, returning to the country of which you already have nationality (the UK)?? I suppose the question is what might be considered a 'reasonable' period of time to have elapsed before returning to the UK as dual national without having your NZ citizenship annulled??

Unless of course the key is in the question when applying for NZ citizenship as to whether you have any travel planned overseas within the next 12 months??

I'm just considering various scenarios and I'm guessing that this is something that others will have come up against.