Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Cholesterol high and Pregnant - What to do?

Cholesterol high and Pregnant - What to do?

Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Hussaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cholesterol high and Pregnant - What to do?

We had our medicals two weeks ago, mine is ok but my wife has high cholesterol level at 7.7 her ldl cholesterol is 5.22 and her triglyceride level is 3.66.

The panel doctor advised another blood sample but this was confirm the same. Our GP doesn't appear to be concerned and my wife doesn't have any other health issues. However she is 35 weeks pregnant she can't go on any medication at the moment.

I was hoping to send my ITA back next week

So do we,

Submit the ITA with our current medicals knowing that they will refer her or should we wait until after the birth and redo the blood test and then submit?

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cholesterol high and Pregnant - What to do?

I would personally send the ITA back with a note from your GP stating your wife is at the last trimester of pregnancy and that she is healthy and not been to him/her for any concerns.
She will probably get referred but they might take the GP's word so they might pass, if they don't then you can go and do the bloods again and obviously pay again.
Congrats on your upcoming baby
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Blood levels of cholesterol in pregnancy and normal limits are difficult to define due to the mass of physiological changes that happen in pregnancy. Though my Bailliere's Midwives' Dictionary does give a normal cholesterol blood level of between 5.4-7.8mmol/l.
Basically they should only be tested again after the puerperium, that is, 6 weeks after the baby has been born, to gain an accurate result.

Was your OH overweight or obese prior to pregnancy? If yes, then cholesterol, LDL's are likely to have been raised prior to conception. Personally. I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Hopefully your wife is eating a diet rich in low-fat protein, fruit & veg & wholemeal carbohydrates.

Porridge is useful for lowering cholesterol. But don't mention that infront of BEVS
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Porridge is useful for lowering cholesterol. But don't mention that infront of BEVS
Just having a bowl of porridge with sultana's and cranberries, only cos I love it
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Just having a bowl of porridge with sultana's and cranberries, only cos I love it
Yummy. I have a bowl of porridge every morning with blueberries & cinnamon. Even added fresh pineapple to it on some mornings. Actually had it for dinner last night as I couldn't face anything else
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Hussaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the replies.

My wife's BMI at the medical was 27 but that's with the additional weight of the baby, and she is always careful of her weight and ensures that we have a healthy diet, if anything I would think I was more at risk with high cholesterol than her. So I am sure it is related to her being pregnant.

We will be asking our GP to write a letter for us, as suggested - thanks. it can only help and the panel doctor ticked the no underlying problems box so

P.S. can we stop talking about food, even porridge, I have been fasting from 3am this morning and will be opening my fast at sunset (21:20) frown: although that is another thing I am looking forward to in NZ is shorter days in July.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hussaa
Many thanks for the replies.

My wife's BMI at the medical was 27 but that's with the additional weight of the baby, and she is always careful of her weight and ensures that we have a healthy diet, if anything I would think I was more at risk with high cholesterol than her. So I am sure it is related to her being pregnant.

We will be asking our GP to write a letter for us, as suggested - thanks. it can only help and the panel doctor ticked the no underlying problems box so

P.S. can we stop talking about food, even porridge, I have been fasting from 3am this morning and will be opening my fast at sunset (21:20) frown: although that is another thing I am looking forward to in NZ is shorter days in July.
Cool bananas sorry!

I don't think you have anything to worry about here then. Happy birthing
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Is cholesterol even checked at the medical for NZ?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is cholesterol even checked at the medical for NZ?
Yis
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yis
That's an odd thing to check for for immigration purposes. The bloods for Australia are only for HIV.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's an odd thing to check for for immigration purposes. The bloods for Australia are only for HIV.
NZIS want to check that you are not going to be a financial burden on the country, healthwise. So they are interested in your BMI, cholesterol levels etc., BP & so on.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 3:51 am
Still alive

NZIS want to check that you are not going to be a financial burden on the country, healthwise. So they are interested in your BMI, cholesterol levels etc., BP & so on.
That's odd IMO. Australia looks at height, weight (so BMI), vision, hearing, chest x-ray for TB, bloods for HIV and urine for glucose. I don't recall having BP done, but I could have just forgotten (a side effect of being a little more mature in years). Definitely cholesterol wasn't done.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

I can smell it from here
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

Got our meds tomorrow, and yes, fasting lipids and blood glucose aswell as urinalysis, HIV, BMI, Blood pressure and a chest xray (and a hep C test for me). Bit worried that they want me not to be menstuating for my med - does that mean an internal/smear aswell? I assume its because NZ has a system like the UK NHS for permanent residents whereas you need med insurance in Aus - I could be wrong?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:42 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by thepinkone
Got our meds tomorrow, and yes, fasting lipids and blood glucose aswell as urinalysis, HIV, BMI, Blood pressure and a chest xray (and a hep C test for me). Bit worried that they want me not to be menstuating for my med - does that mean an internal/smear aswell? I assume its because NZ has a system like the UK NHS for permanent residents whereas you need med insurance in Aus - I could be wrong?
They suggest you not be menstruating so there won't be blood in your urine.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that you need medical insurance in Australia. We have Medicare (public health similar to NHS) as well as a private system which is optional for most people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.