Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Children born in NZ to UK citizens ( moved to Immy)

Children born in NZ to UK citizens ( moved to Immy)

Old May 15th 2009, 1:04 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Children born in NZ to UK citizens

Originally Posted by JAJ
That is very late in pregnancy ... are you sure it is medically wise to fly (or even permitted)? It is also a very long flight and there are a variety of reasons why you do not want your child to arrive en-route!
I must say these were my thoughts exactly. It is VERY late in pregnancy to be flying have you checked with the airline?
Old May 15th 2009, 1:49 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

From IAATC website:

Pregnancy and Flying

Did you know that most airlines have rules concerning pregnant passengers?
It is not generally known that the Civil Aviation Authority in Great Britain has no regulations concerning pregnant passengers. Each airline has it's own rules, here are a few. Pregnant women who are planning to fly are advised to obtain the relevant regulations before booking.
If you are pregnant and attempt to fly you may not find out about these rules until you are about to board the aircraft. Then you may not be allowed to fly.

Virgin Atlantic
After 28 weeks a doctor's certificate is required . From 35 weeks, it will carry a pregnant woman only for compassionate or urgent reasons if accompanied by a doctor or nurse.

Britannia
Will carry pregnant women up to 36 weeks on the return flight on short haul. On long haul it is 34 weeks. No medical certification is required.

Air 2000
Recommends that all expectant mothers carry a medical certificate. After 28 weeks of pregnancy they require notice of intention to travel and a recent medical certificate. This certificate must confirm the stage of pregnancy for the homeward flight and fitness to fly.

BA
A medical certificate is required between 28 and the limit which is 36 weeks.

Airtours
A medical certificate covering the return date must be supplied from 28 to 35 weeks. After 35 weeks women can only fly in special circumstances and provided they are insured.

Monarch & British Caledonion
A medical certificate confirming fitness to fly after 28 weeks. No flights after 34 weeks.

I don't know if that helps
Old May 15th 2009, 3:37 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

And Air Singapore's:

"Expectant Mothers
It is important that you inform your gynaecologist of your proposed travel plan and obtain medical guidance before making a reservation.

Expectant mothers must also obtain a medical certificate, issued by your attending gynaecologist, stating your fitness for travel, the number of weeks of pregnancy and Estimated Date of Delivery. Our Reservations officers may request for the medical certification at the time of booking. If the booking and departure dates are more than one month apart, a new certificate should be issued (by your attending gynaecologist) not more than 3 days before departure. This certificate will have to be presented at check-in when requested.

For uncomplicated single pregnancies, Singapore Airlines restricts expectant mothers from travelling beyond the 35th week of pregnancy. For uncomplicated multiple pregnancies, Singapore Airlines restricts expectant mothers from travelling beyond the 32nd week of pregnancy.

Please contact your local Singapore Airlines office if your require more information."

I'm quite sure the OP has done their homework, but would be interesting to know which airline are accepting them at 35+ weeks for anyone in a similiar situation?
Old May 15th 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

In response to everyone (apologies to Miss CK I appear to have hijacked your post!) YES i know it is very late on in pregnancy to be flying, yes I have checked it with the airline (emirates) yes its ok to fly - up to 27 wks with no extra requirements, up to 37 wks with a GP 'fit to fly' letter, and past 37 wks they would require their own medical examiner to sign you off. I will be 36 wks & as yet have no complications what so ever so fingers crossed all stays as it is. Obviously there is always that risk of baby deciding to arrive early, but i stress it was not our choice to fly this late on...flights & all the relocation have been booked by husbnds future employer, they have been aware of my pregnancy from the very beginning, we had hoped to be out there by now but it has been beyond our control.
Old May 16th 2009, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keeny
Obviously there is always that risk of baby deciding to arrive early,
It is unusual for a baby to arrive in flight but it's not something that you want to happen - risk of complications aside, it will be no fun for your child to go through life without a birth certificate (I'm not aware of any easy way for those born in between countries to obtain one), even if the child does manage to claim British citizenship.

but i stress it was not our choice to fly this late on...flights & all the relocation have been booked by husbnds future employer, they have been aware of my pregnancy from the very beginning, we had hoped to be out there by now but it has been beyond our control.
Are you saying that the employer just chose to ignore this? You could have said no.
Old May 16th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
The rules there are only if your parents are Brit citizens by descent - ie they were not born in the UK. Otherwise, this applies:
British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/
There is no requirement to register birth in this case, from what I can see on the website.
I wasn't expecting you to predict the future, by the way, I was just intrigued by your statement that "they keep talking about changing the laws" - do you have anything more specific.
Personally, I find it extremely unlikely that the "by descent" rule above will change - and even less likely that it will be backdated to exclude those who are currently eligible. I think I'll stick to "kiwi only" for my boys for now
oh poos
my girl might not qualify for this british cit by descent or whatever then.

I am a NZer, her dad is a Brit (with NZ PR) and she was born in 1999 and we weren't and aren't married!

Must look into that as I was going to suggest when she got older that she live and work over there for a while - could live with her Grandma or Aunt.
Old May 16th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of
Default Re: Children born in NZ to UK citizens ( moved to Immy)

As for the lady flying preggy

I am sure she and her doc have done their homework and it'snot realy te concern of anyone else. If they haveboth decided that it is fine, then it must be fine.

God luck - hope you have a comfy flight.
Old May 16th 2009, 12:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
oh poos
my girl might not qualify for this british cit by descent or whatever then.

I am a NZer, her dad is a Brit (with NZ PR) and she was born in 1999 and we weren't and aren't married!
In that case she needs to be registered as a British citizen and the age limit for this is 18! Was her father born in the United Kingdom?

Fully discussed in:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...arried_Fathers

(her father should also take out New Zealand citizenship).
Old May 16th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

sjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of light

In response to everyone (apologies to Miss CK I appear to have hijacked your post!) YES i know it is very late on in pregnancy to be flying, yes I have checked it with the airline (emirates) yes its ok to fly - up to 27 wks with no extra requirements, up to 37 wks with a GP 'fit to fly' letter, and past 37 wks they would require their own medical examiner to sign you off. I will be 36 wks & as yet have no complications what so ever so fingers crossed all stays as it is. Obviously there is always that risk of baby deciding to arrive early, but i stress it was not our choice to fly this late on...flights & all the relocation have been booked by husbnds future employer, they have been aware of my pregnancy from the very beginning, we had hoped to be out there by now but it has been beyond our control.
Moving to the other side of the world to start a new life is stressful & exciting, in addition you have the impending arrival of your new baby - also an exciting yet sometimes daunting experience. I take my hat off to you as you seem to be handling both extremely well and wish you & yours all the best of luck - karma on way.
Old May 16th 2009, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Thanks bananalana & sjake No the employer has never ignored the fact that Im pregnant, its a long story but to try & cut short; the day husband attended the interview in Oct 08 was the day I found out we were expecting, we still pressed ahead not expecting everything to take this long. It took til Jan 09 to get his employment medical sorted due to the laughing stock of a private hospital that we used + the xmas & new year break etc delaying it. as the employer is taking on 4 other UK families they have waited til everybody was ready to go at the same time. If we decided to say no to flying over on 12th JUne, we could risk him losing the job & everything just going pear-shaped so we're going ahead & doing it. Not ideal, no, but...
Old May 16th 2009, 1:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

If we decided to say no to flying over on 12th JUne, we could risk him losing the job & everything just going pear-shaped so we're going ahead & doing it. Not ideal, no, but...
There is a further option ... he goes out now, and you follow with the baby. Not ideal either but these are the choices you have to make. Of course, you're going as temporary residents so that makes you quite vulnerable to the employer, you'd have more flexibility if you had permanent visas.
Old May 16th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is a further option ... he goes out now, and you follow with the baby. Not ideal either but these are the choices you have to make. Of course, you're going as temporary residents so that makes you quite vulnerable to the employer, you'd have more flexibility if you had permanent visas.
Yep i agree that is an option... but not an option for us, there is no way we would do this. I can only imagine how hard & distressing it is for other first time mums who have partners/husbands in the forces who cant be present for their baby's birth.. they probably dont have any choice in the matter whatsoever.I just couldnt do it.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

Yep i agree that is an option... but not an option for us, there is no way we would do this. I can only imagine how hard & distressing it is for other first time mums who have partners/husbands in the forces who cant be present for their baby's birth.. they probably dont have any choice in the matter whatsoever.I just couldnt do it.
I still don't think it all that advisable to fly so late in pregnancy, for the reasons already discussed, but you have obviously made up your mind to do so.
Old May 17th 2009, 11:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to you keeny- I'm sure your doc has given you all the advice etc so just follow it to the letter and ask if there's any chance of a seat upgrade at the airport- you never know! Don't forget those horrible flight socks!!! Are you having a stopover or flying straight through?
Old May 17th 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks bourbonbiscuit Oh yes i've got my flight socks ready, and will make sure I get an aisle seat so I can up & down & walk around easily etc. we fly manchester-dubai-melbourne-auckland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.