Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Chest x-ray for WHV GP referal UK....catch 22 situation

Chest x-ray for WHV GP referal UK....catch 22 situation

Old Jun 13th 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

neddrick98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Chest x-ray for WHV GP referal UK....catch 22 situation

I'm in the process of applying for a WHV for NZ to go there at the end of this year.

I'm applying for the 12-month visa.
Usually, one just applies and that's that.

However, since I have lived for more than 3 months in two different countries which are NOT of low TB incidence in the last five years, i'm required to send a chest x-ray with report to prove that i'm TB-free.

I would be tempted to lie about having lived abroad, but i'm an honest person and besides, my university degree will be an obvious indication of time spent in a non-EU country!!

So, I phoned the nearest panel radiologist to book my appointment, and was told I would need a GP referral.

...I booked an appointment with my local GP and explained my situation, asking for a referral due to my visa situation. My GP tells me he cannot refer me to the hospital that I need referring to, and will only refer me to my local hospital...which is not on the panel doctor list.

So what do I do!??! I need a referral, but can't get it, because I don't live close enough, but can't get my visa without my chest x-ray...i'm in a pickle, as they say.

This means, surely, that somebody is fibbing? Either I don't need a referral for the chest x-ray (but two different people have told me I do) or my GP is being a numpty and should refer me to where I want to go.

Can anybody give me some advice as to what to do?? I've tried phoning the embassy but they won't give advice about visas, only INZ will. But they'll be an expensive phone call so i'm putting them off for a while.

Sorry this is so long, it's a bit complicated! Hopefully i've included all the necessary details??

Pre-emptive thanks for any words of wisdom thrown my way!!!

Sarah
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:13 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chest x-ray for WHV GP referal UK....catch 22 situation

I can't see why there would be a need for the panel radiologist to need a referral. They are used to people making appointments for chest xrays as a requirement for a visa application Though admittedly most also need a medical exam as well so the referral sort of comes from the panel doctor. Obviously your GP is constrained as to where he can refer patients to for a chest xray. Though as this is a private referral and not NHS can he not refer you to any private hospital you wish? I don't know how the system works so just bringing up what comes into my head!

I did read this:
Please note you may require a referral from a registered
medical practitioner for a chest X-ray. In most countries
Immigration New Zealand has approved lists of panel
doctors and/or radiologists who will examine you
I would go back to the panel doctor and go through it again. Maybe go in person instead of phoning? You may have got someone on the day who didn't know what they were doing. Could be worth printing off the relevant form from the NZIS website.

Do you have any paperwork from NZIS confirming the need for an xray for visa purposes?

Last edited by Persephone; Jun 13th 2013 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

neddrick98 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I thought: if it were an NHS referral, then he'd be limited, but it being private I thought I could go where I wanted - i'm paying for it after all!!

The problem with going in person is that it's about an hours drive from here and I don't have a car, so it'd be a lengthy trip, though it might be my only option!

I feel like perhaps my GP has told me incorrect information about it all.

And I figure that, actually, most people applying for the WHV visa go for the 12-month one, which requires no checks at all, and haven't lived abroad much in high TB risk countries. Perhaps many of them have done language degrees, but to be honest most people do European languages and, well, end up going to Europe, so they don't have any need for an x-ray.

I haven't been told by anyone i'll need it, but I'm guessing they give you a time limit to get the x-rays to them so I don't want to apply and then have a mad rush to get it sorted, in between working over the Summer.

As I say, i've lived abroad (Mexico and Syria) in the past 5 years and both of these were for more than 3 months (Mexico probably totals about 18 months and Syria was a 9-month stretch). So the chances of them saying "no, no, it's fine" are pretty slim!!

I've e-mailed INZ, as they've been good in the past answering other queries, but if they can't figure it out I guess i'll have to go back to the doctors and ask for a different GP? See if they can give me a better answer? The x-ray place were very adamant that they wouldn't x-ray me without a referral.

Glad to hear i'm not the only one confused by this - makes me feel more sane!!!
Old Jun 13th 2013, 4:51 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

That's too far just to have a chat at reception! I suppose you have tried phoning them again, and explaining that your GP won't refer you? Otherwise maybe try a different GP

I did find this:
A Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) PDF is required if you are a citizen of a country that is not considered as having a low incidence of tuberculosis (TB) and/or you have lived in such countries for a total of three months in the past five years. If a Chest X-ray Certificate is required, you will receive an e-mail requesting you to complete it when you submit your application.
This implies NZIS will inform you that it is necessary, I presume a referral will not be necessary then as NZIS have requested it. It does mean you have to apply and then be told what you already know I don't know how long you have to return your results to NZIS after they request it.

Those who apply for a 23month WHV need a medical cert anyway which will act as the referral.

Frustrating