Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Chest X-ray and medicals for dependent visa's

Chest X-ray and medicals for dependent visa's

Old Nov 18th 2018, 8:10 am
Just Joined

treemanmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chest X-ray and medicals for dependent visa's

Hi guys,
I am about to apply for talent accredited visa for myself.

I know I'll need to get my medical and x-ray before I apply, the problem is I've had conflicting advice regarding partner and children dependent visa's.

Can they get theirs over there as they apply for their visas when they land?

Also surely under a certain age they shouldn't need one?

And why does anyone from the UK need one when everyone has had their tb immunization shots anyway.

It's just a money making scheme as student 'FEE PAYING' visas don't need one! How are they less risky!!

Sorry it's just annoying as we have 4 kids and if we have to get it all done before we arrive that's 6 x £350 = can't afford a nice car when I get there 😞

And don't get me started on before and after school fees but that's another post/rant entirely!

Thanks

Mike
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chest X-ray and medicals for dependent visa's

Originally Posted by treemanmike
Hi guys,

I know I'll need to get my medical and x-ray before I apply, the problem is I've had conflicting advice regarding partner and children dependent visa's.

And why does anyone from the UK need one when everyone has had their tb immunization shots anyway.

It's just a money making scheme as student 'FEE PAYING' visas don't need one! How are they less risky!!

Sorry it's just annoying as we have 4 kids and if we have to get it all done before we arrive that's 6 x £350 = can't afford a nice car when I get there 😞

And don't get me started on before and after school fees but that's another post/rant entirely!

Thanks

Mike
Nope, your partner and dependents will require their own visas prior to travel and since these will be applied for via the family stream and based on your temporary work visa (Talent / Accredited Employer) then they will also have to meet the conditions of those individual visas.
It is always better and advisable to all apply together as it makes it easier for Immigration to handle. Trust me, you don't wanna confuse or make life hard for Immigration.
All children must have a medical, however children up to a certain age are exempt from x-rays but better to check what that age is now as may be different from when we came in 2012. We had to have our then 5/6 months old baba go through an immigration medical but didn't need the x-ray.

No point asking or answering the why's and wherefors of the NZ governments rules. It is mandatory for everyone to have a medical if you are here over 12 months and x-rays if over 2 years for the majority of visa applications so you just gotta suck it up and do it.
You've also got to ask yourself how much you would charge if someone or a family from overseas wanted to live permanently in a country where you controlled Immigration - what price would you put on it ?

We went the Resident Visa route for 2 adults and 1 baby and it cost thousands of pounds / dollars in total plus we also paid an approved immigration consultant to assist us in the process. Our medicals were about £1250. Wife had to do IELTS so another £440 but then found out she'd done the wrong one so had to do the Academic test....another £440. It all adds up to a lot of money but if I'm honest it's a small price to pay to be able to call NZ home and it was all done over an extended period as the visa was processed so it was manageable.
....or maybe they just lining you up in readiness to be hit with the huge CoL.

My advice......don't stress about the costs now as it'll pail in to insignificance when you get here and you experience how much it actually costs to live here...and that is not a moan, just the truth.
Enjoy it. It's an adventure you're unlikely to repeat and you can't take that money with you when you kick that bucket.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by treemanmike
Hi guys,

Thanks

Mike
Its not just TB that they test for in a medical, they look at general health, and for other conditions which could cost the NZ government a lot of money- Australia is just the same.
And just for info - not everyone in the UK has had the TB immunisation. There are many reasons for people not to have it.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:44 am
Just Joined

treemanmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm I'm thinking the easiest route is for me to get there test the waters find a place whilst they are sorting out the visas back in the UK not only does it make the flight a pleasure but it also gives time for the costs to be spread out, that's the sensible option I think.