British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Chest x ray - do NZ immigration need the scan? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/chest-x-ray-do-nz-immigration-need-scan-791914/)

arthurfowler Mar 26th 2013 7:13 pm

Chest x ray - do NZ immigration need the scan?

Just completed my limited medical and chest x ray and the doctor told me everything was normal and would recommend me for a visa! Yay!

However he did also hand me my actual x ray and told me to keep on to it and when I hand in the application to nzis they may ask for it. I'm confused by this because the form says the x ray only has to given if the is an abnormality. My doc said the results were all normal. The results are sealed and he told me not to open them so what am I to do?

MrsFychan Mar 26th 2013 7:23 pm

Re: Chest x ray - do NZ immigration need the scan?

mine told me the same. but got referred as there was a blotch on one lung. got told this when we handed in our ITA, we submitted all the medical file as that was what was asked for on our application. Of course the guy telling us that the medical would be referred scared us and I immediately got my own doctor to do another xray which was clear. just an old scar build up from a bout of pluresy (sp) I had years ago.
Don't bank on what the panel doctors say it depends on what the Immigration guys say at the end of the day. But fingers cross no problems for you

arthurfowler Mar 26th 2013 7:32 pm

Ooh thank you! am I allowed to open the x ray or does it have to remain sealed? Do you know?

P.s. like the avatar

Persephone Mar 26th 2013 7:44 pm

I never got my xrays back from the doc so no, you don't need to send them in. Mine were digital so I requested a viewing at the time. As MrsF says, they will ask only if you are referred.

All my medical stuff was not sealed up either- being in a medical profession I would have wanted to look even if it was sealed:lol:

MrsFychan, what is your avatar?

arthurfowler Mar 26th 2013 8:35 pm

I opened my x ray. It doesn't say not to on the forms so I can't see the problem lol.

I have no idea what I'm looking at but there is a smokey white blob on one side. I wish I could open my notes. I don't even know what blood type I am. Would love to see my blood pressure etc as well. Oh well :(

lisamct Mar 27th 2013 5:33 am

I got my x-ray too , but just kept it and sent the report.

I'd be opening my notes if I were you, its your medical details so its your right to know what they say.

MrsFychan Mar 27th 2013 6:44 am

my avatar is for marriage equality, hearing going through US Supreme Court today.

We didn't open anything, think we were told not to, something about tampering with the report or something.
Not even sure if we got it all back once we were approved.
But it did annoy the fact that I was not informed of the mark on the lung and panel doctor did say he would let us know if anything came up. yet it must of been written down as the guy at Immigration NZ London, who we handed our ITA over to and went through to check we had everything and yes take out money, was the one that told us about the probability of referral because of the lung xray and he certainly didn't look at the xray so must of been on the notes.

arthurfowler Mar 27th 2013 8:09 am

I'm worried now... My ex ray doesn't look equal on both sides and I want to know what the report says. Grrrrr

MrsFychan Mar 27th 2013 8:34 am

its not going to look equal as you have your heart in the way. no need to worry about things that may not even be an issue. put it away, submit what you need to and wait to see what happens.

M_and_M Mar 27th 2013 9:48 am

My X ray was normal, I got a report not the actual Xray. I sent the reports off to immigration, and that was all they needed.

arthurfowler Mar 27th 2013 12:38 pm

Yeah I'm not going to stress about it any longer. What will be, will be.

Persephone Mar 27th 2013 5:13 pm

It's probably your heart, it does not sit absolutely central!

Case are not doctors or radiologists so they shouldn't be commenting on the xray itself so I see no need for them to have it unless there is an abnormality noted and your xray is referred to a medical assessor. All they can do is read the report and if that says it's normal then they will be satisfied with that.

So don't worry!!

GoingIn2011 Mar 28th 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by arthurfowler (Post 10626567)
Yeah I'm not going to stress about it any longer. What will be, will be.

That's probably ok. I had the same on mine, and I am here.

kodachrome Mar 28th 2013 2:46 pm

Presume you can do these within NZ (not just home country) if you happen to be there on some other Visa type?

Persephone Mar 28th 2013 3:23 pm

Yes, you can use any radiologist and doctor in NZ. In the UK you have to use one of the panel doctors listed on the NZIS website.
The medical must be no more than 3m old when you send it to NZIS -though if you have already sent one in then it 'lasts' for 36 months.

It appears to be cheaper in NZ as well:)