Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Chef over 30 in need of a work visa for New Zealand

Chef over 30 in need of a work visa for New Zealand

Old Apr 26th 2016, 11:43 am
Just Joined

jwtimms01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chef over 30 in need of a work visa for New Zealand

Hi guys,

So, I am looking to travel to New Zealand late August/early September time. I am a chef and I want to go for at least a year and i am in need of a work visa. From what I am told, I first need a job offer, only then can I apply for the visa (which takes about 1 month to process) and only then should I buy my ticket to travel.
Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to secure a job offer this long before I travel?
Also, immigration said that I could go in on a visitors visa, and then 'upgrade' to a working visa, but must disclose that this is my intention. Can anybody shed any light on this as an option?

Many thanks,

Jim
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Chef over 30 in need of a work visa for New Zealand

Hi there and welcome to our NZ forum.

Yes. It is a job offer first and then you may apply for a temporary work visa.

Yes. You may enter NZ on a visitors visa but if you do intend to actively look for work and so convert from visitor to temp work permit, then immy policy says you declare this intention

There are a number of sites where job vacancies are placed.

NZ Restaurant Assn

NZChefs

NZNow links to several job search sites.

When talking with prospective employers you may need to educate them that it is a job offer first before a work visa application can be submitted. Not all employers understand this. Also, it is possible to gain the work visa/permit quite quickly. It is not necessarily a month.

HTH

My Dad was a chef for a while until allergies curtailed that.

Chefs are known for making their way around the globe whilst honing their skills.

I wish you luck & please do come back here and let us know how you get on.