British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Chasing the dream... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/chasing-dream-874680/)

huske Mar 21st 2016 9:20 pm

Chasing the dream...

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, so please be patient with me...

My husband and I have done working holiday in NZ in 2009 and have completely fallen in love with the country. It has been on our minds since then as a place to settle permanently one day. We now have a 2 years old son and feel like it is the right time for us to make the move...

My husband has been working as a full time firefighter for last 13 years here in the UK(he has a career break for our travels), I have done all sorts of jobs,but I do not hold any formal qualifications.
Unfortunately firefighters are not on the skilled shortage list, which is why we have to explore other visa options.

We thought gaining a trade qualification in NZ could be a possibility (he is a very keen DIYer)? Has anyone done this? Could that lead to a permanent residency if he got a job once qualified?

Thanks for any advise and experience shared!

MrsFychan Mar 22nd 2016 12:18 am

Re: Chasing the dream...

it does sound doubtful but you would have to read through this: All about student visas

It doesn't look like you would be able to get over as a family long time on a study visa

MrsFychan Mar 22nd 2016 12:22 am

I just checked immigration website and fire fighter is on the list of skilled occupations. Fire Fighter Visa Options – Skill Shortage Lists, Immigration New Zealand

so if you can get an accredited company to offer you work you could get a WTR visa.

You would probably have to look at major cities as the more rural towns generally 80% of fire fighers are volunteer fire fighters

http://www.fire.org.nz/About-Us/Empl...-Programme.htm

http://www.fire.org.nz/Jobs/Internat...-overview.html
also looks like he would have to start at the bottom and work himself up again

huske Mar 22nd 2016 8:23 am

Thank you for your reply.

Eventhough Firefighter is on the skilled list , they only recruit NZ residents. He MIGHT only be able to volunteer once we are over there.

I am feeling a bit down about this as this is what we really want to do, but not sure if we are likely to get the chance.
Gaining a qualification in uk would be time consuming and there is no guarantee that particular proffession will remain on the list. :(

Moses2013 Mar 22nd 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by huske (Post 11902321)
Thank you for your reply.

Eventhough Firefighter is on the skilled list , they only recruit NZ residents. He MIGHT only be able to volunteer once we are over there.

I am feeling a bit down about this as this is what we really want to do, but not sure if we are likely to get the chance.
Gaining a qualification in uk would be time consuming and there is no guarantee that particular proffession will remain on the list. :(

You never know and there might be another way, but don't get frustrated. If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be and look at what you have rather than what you don't have. Even a visa/job still doesn't guarantee you a good life in New Zealand, so maybe focus on options in Europe/UK how you can find the best of both worlds.

Bo-Jangles Mar 22nd 2016 10:17 am

I guess if you have been thinking about it for some time, then another three to four year wait while one of you gets a suitable qualification would not be out of the question. However you do have to choose carefully, because things do change and skills that are highly needed now may not necessarily be needed in three to four years time.

BEVS Mar 22nd 2016 10:37 am

Originally Posted by huske (Post 11901952)

We thought gaining a trade qualification in NZ could be a possibility (he is a very keen DIYer)? Has anyone done this? Could that lead to a permanent residency if he got a job once qualified?

!

Erm . Hi and welcome. It probably came out a bit different to the way it sounded in your post

Career tradesman in the past in the UK did 4 to 5 years of training and academic work before being awarded their credentials. That is a degree standard. The standard in New Zealand is the same.

Yes. If you are prepared to do the hard yards then a properly fully qualified NVQ3 and above ; C&G advance and above will certainly help you in , if NZ still needs overseas people to meet a shortfall. Shortfalls change all the time.

Electricians always seem to be in need at the moment but that could change like the flick of a switch.

As you have found much of New Zealand depends on its volunteers for its fire fighting force.

Have you something that NZ needs. If not. Have you something that NZ might need in a few years?

You have every chance of making this happen for you if yo have the will. Just box clever.

huske Mar 22nd 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! :)