British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Character Waiver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/character-waiver-911829/)

samboka1975 Apr 18th 2018 5:37 am

Character Waiver

Hi
Hope someone can help. Have looked at a few posts on this subject but till unsure.

We are applying for resident visa (in nz 4 years on work visa) and have been going through the motions with everything and have now come to a total stop.

we are both working in NZ and have had two kids here.

My partner who is the main visa applicant has been told that due to a conviction of stealing 26 years ago we are not eligible for a visa, however we must provide the following

"Please provide any supporting information you feel would help support your application for a character waiver, including any evidence of fines paid, and supporting documents explaining your situation by the due date. "

Still confused as to what this means. Fines?. for what now or back 26 years ago. I can only think we need to get character ref's from friends, employees.

A clean record since he was 17 years old doesn't seem to be enough to prove that it was a teenage silly mistake

can anyone guide me on what is good supporting info

sam

BEVS Apr 18th 2018 6:00 am

Re: Character Waiver

Yes. Your OH will need to apply for a character waiver.

Originally Posted by NZ immigration
Character issues that require a character waiver

You will also not meet our character requirements for residence if you:

have ever made or provided false or misleading information, or withheld material information when applying for a New Zealand visa, or when supporting another person’s New Zealand visa application
have ever been convicted of an offence against immigration, citizenship or passport laws in any country
have ever been convicted of an offence involving:
violence
prohibited drugs
dishonesty

They will be looking at maybe what led to the offence. That your OH completed whatever was metered out for the offence , be it fines, community service, borstal etc. ( My brother in his teens was sent to borstal for holding stolen goods that someone else stole)
Also they will need to see references of good character , reform & a clean slate. Perhaps from employers & people of note, church etc if you are into that etc.

You want to get this right.

Perhaps have a chat with Lane Neave who I know have dealt with character waivers or Peter Croxson who is also tried and tested on cases which are not straightforward. I have no affiliation with either . Just know they've had success .

samboka1975 Apr 18th 2018 8:07 am

Thanks so much, this has been a real help. feeling flat

simonsi Apr 19th 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by samboka1975 (Post 12483890)
Hi
Hope someone can help. Have looked at a few posts on this subject but till unsure.

We are applying for resident visa (in nz 4 years on work visa) and have been going through the motions with everything and have now come to a total stop.

we are both working in NZ and have had two kids here.

My partner who is the main visa applicant has been told that due to a conviction of stealing 26 years ago we are not eligible for a visa, however we must provide the following

"Please provide any supporting information you feel would help support your application for a character waiver, including any evidence of fines paid, and supporting documents explaining your situation by the due date. "

Still confused as to what this means. Fines?. for what now or back 26 years ago. I can only think we need to get character ref's from friends, employees.

A clean record since he was 17 years old doesn't seem to be enough to prove that it was a teenage silly mistake

can anyone guide me on what is good supporting info

sam

The character requirements aren't specified by offence but by resulting sentence, check here if you haven't already and double-check what you have been told:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...good-character

They must be referring to the Serious Character section as you already have a temp visa - a 5yr sentence for a 17yo's first offence sounds a bit extreme - if there is more history leading up to that then best to explain in full to INZ (maybe via the legal contacts given above).