character waiver

Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

mike.b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default character waiver

Hi i have a job offer well i no ive got the job the company is paying for the visa 2years but i will need i character waiver does anyone know about theses and do i stand a better chance of getting one seen as though the company is paying for my visa the company has its own visa company which they use all the time any help would be great.cheers
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: character waiver

I would tentatively suggest it depends on what the nature of your problems are. I would phone Lane Neave, Christchurch lawyers, for a chat, they are probably the best in NZ at the moment at "challenging" cases, and are well known to NZIS, who do seem to listen to them.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 11:46 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I, Steve that is, had to gain a character waiver.
You basically need to justify that your misdemeanours are a part of your past, you've learned from them, and that you pose no risk of reoffending.
It's not a great hassle, but a well thought out and worded essay is basically what you have to do.
You need to be completely honest, because if you try and hide stuff and it comes out, it kind of implies that you're not exactly genuine.
Your visa application will still go to NZIS regardless of who arranges it, so be contrite, express regret, and good luck.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

mike.b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hazeandsteve thanks for the reply my conviction was pretty serious one about 8/9 years ago I was going through a rough patch in life and started taking ecstasy bad I no and I got caught in a nite club with 16pills I was taken to court and got a 2year suspended sentence since I have never taken a drug and never been in trouble for anything I have a good job the company in new Zealand contacted me first about work (overhead transmission linesmen )so they must be a demand for linesmen also you think it would be ok to try to get a waiver of my own back as I have looked into it and they are expensive anymore help would be great thanks again.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Hi Mike
I had to provide a character reference for a minor issue i had some 20 odd years ago. Basically when you complete you ITA and visa forms you must supply information on any past "issues" or convictions even if they have lapsed. When you do this also write a statement of what happened and get it signed as a statutory declaration and get witnessed by a solicitor. ( It cost me £10) Your iimmigration officer will need this and it is then viewed by two senior iimmigration managers who then decide if they feel you are a risk or able to proceed with your application. Hope this helps as they accepted mine and i am now enjoying the sun in ssunnyHawkes Bay.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 3:48 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike.b
...I got caught in a nite club with 16pills I was taken to court and got a 2year suspended sentence
Mike, I hope you have turned around (otherwise frankly I wouldn´t want you in NZ), my bit of advice is to be prepared to be frank and blunt with NZIS, if you were convicted of possession with intent to supply then that is what you will have to start with and explain all the good stuff from there. I can understand why you might want to be a bit circumspect with a public forum but be very open with NZIS otherwise you may be doomed to failure from the start.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:11 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

The normal criteria for rejection is custodial sentence, and I'm not sure how a suspended counts. I served 4 months of a 6 month in military jail, but the conviction is on my records. The major difference was that that was my last brush with the courts.
Like i said, if you've reformed and had no bother since, then you've got an excellent chance, especially with the company looking for you..
The one it we'll keep banging home is that you MUST be completely frank with NZIS.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:33 am
Just Joined

roja is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am new to this forums.....
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Emilou is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, def contact Lane Neave in Christchurch NZ. Email them with your questions and they will try to arrange a time to phone you for a chat. They know how to tackle these issues as had lots of experience. They will give you an answer one way or the other.