Character waiver

Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:58 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Character waiver

Anyone had to do one before getting their visa/permit?

Hubby will need one.

He had two minor infractions, the earliest one being 14 years ago.

Anyone have any experience with this? Ta.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Character waiver

Originally Posted by Maz

Hubby will need one.

No experience, but am prepared to right thoroughly nice chap on back of fag packet if it helps!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 1:59 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
No experience, but am prepared to right thoroughly nice chap on back of fag packet if it helps!
Thanks Simon! As I don't have a B.Sc. in Computer Science (my degree is only 18 years old, but it's still as worthless as the B.Sc. would be anyway!), and because my job offer is for full-time, permanent, we have to go for WTR visas.

So this means I have to get mine first (should be a breeze) then hubby and daughter have to get theirs afterwards. Our container might arrive before we do at this rate!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:16 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Hubby will need one.

Sorry Hun no help at all but hang around for a while and that nice chap from Christchuch will come up with the goods
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Thanks Simon! As I don't have a B.Sc. in Computer Science (my degree is only 18 years old, but it's still as worthless as the B.Sc. would be anyway!), and because my job offer is for full-time, permanent, we have to go for WTR visas.

So this means I have to get mine first (should be a breeze) then hubby and daughter have to get theirs afterwards. Our container might arrive before we do at this rate!
Hi
If it is over 10 years ago and the penalty was less this 12 months imprisonment, then by the guidelines in the operations manual you should not need a waiver.
Just put a letter of explanation in your application saying how sorry he is and what a upright member of society he has turned into.
Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:54 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Sorry Hun no help at all but hang around for a while and that nice chap from Christchuch will come up with the goods

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hi
If it is over 10 years ago and the penalty was less this 12 months imprisonment, then by the guidelines in the operations manual you should not need a waiver.
Just put a letter of explanation in your application saying how sorry he is and what a upright member of society he has turned into.
Cheers
Actually sorry I meant the latest one was 14 years ago, so he's been clean since then. Zero imprisonment, wouldn't have married him if he'd ever spent any time in the big house...

Will definitely do that about the letter - good idea, thank you!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz

Actually sorry I meant the latest one was 14 years ago, so he's been clean since then. Zero imprisonment, wouldn't have married him if he'd ever spent any time in the big house...

Will definitely do that about the letter - good idea, thank you!
Hi Maz

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with a bad hubby: We have been trying to find out what we need to do, my OH has emailed the NZ embassy to ask so if we find owt out we'll let you know Where abouts are you going? Have you got a house, job etc lined up? I wish I could just go tomorrow as we won't be going for approx 2 years yet but it'll soooon pass, it'll take me that long to clean all my junk out!!
Regards Gaynor x
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:46 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
In the immortal words of that character on the American sitcom Different Strokes, 'Whatchu talkin 'bout, Willis!'

At any rate...

Section 7 (1) of the Immigration Act

Under section 7(1) of the Immigration Act we will not grant you a visa or permit if:

* you’ve been convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 5 years or more (this applies even if any of your offences have later been taken off the record),
* in the past 10 years you were convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for 12 months or more,
* currently, you have a removal order from New Zealand in force against you,
* you’ve been deported from any country, including New Zealand,
* you’ve been involved in terrorist activities, or belonged to or supported any organisation involved in terrorist activities,
* it’s believed you’re likely to commit – or to assist others to commit – criminal or drug offences, or an act of terrorism, in New Zealand,
* it’s believed you’re likely – due to any international circumstances – to be a danger to New Zealand’s security or public order, or
* it’s believed you’re associated with an organisation or group that has criminal objectives or is engaged in criminal activities and for that (or any other) reason you are considered to be a threat to the public interest or public order of New Zealand.

Maz, from your description I don't think your husband would have any problem whatsoever. Just bung in a letter explaining the circumstances of the arrests and the outcome.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

joshgifford will become famous soon enoughjoshgifford will become famous soon enough

When we filled EOI I misread the question and thought it meant any convictions in the past five years, hence we answered no.

However, when we handed in all our stuff my police records showed previous convictions from when I was in my early 20's . We then received a letted from the NZIS saying our application was on hold as we did not declare these convictions.

This added to the rollercoaster of emotions during the immigration process, my darling wife had not realise she had married a convict, and filed for divorce However she forgave me for my mispent youth and we are still together :thumbsdown:

Our assigning officer from NZIS was very helpful and we had to send a later explaining the circumstances of these incidents, thankfully we were granted a character waiver and were successful with our residence application, so dont worry
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Does this apply to under sixteens? My son got into a bit of trouble when he was 12 and his record was sealed.

Will this show up on a police report?

Any thoughts would be grateful.

Debi
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:03 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banshigirl
Does this apply to under sixteens? My son got into a bit of trouble when he was 12 and his record was sealed.

Will this show up on a police report?

Any thoughts would be grateful.

Debi
If he is still under 16, you won't need a police check for him.
Anyone who is 17 years or older needs to supply one
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

Hi Kev&Sarah

He is now 21 and will be 22 in December and we are planning the move early next year.

Thanks