British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   changes to the NZIS rules ref. Parent Category (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/changes-nzis-rules-ref-parent-category-761267/)

RobDon Jun 2nd 2012 10:53 pm

changes to the NZIS rules ref. Parent Category

The rules they are a changing!! ;)
Have a look at this:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm

zaras dad Jun 3rd 2012 5:15 am

Re: Sponsoring parents... it's complicated!

New requirements

Tier one

People applying under tier one must meet the following requirements:
They must have either
•a guaranteed life-time minimum income of $27,203 per annum for a single person or $39,890 per annum for a couple
(does that mean if theyre just on a state pension = no chance)

, or
•minimum settlement funds of $500,000 which they bring to New Zealand,
(no chance , even with the house they own)
or
•a sponsoring adult child who has an income of at least $65,000 per annum or $90,000 per annum when combined with the sponsor’s partner’s income.
(more pressure on me to get this degree and then a job after that :ohmy: )

They must not have any dependent children.
They must meet at least two competencies of IELTS Level 4.0, (what does that mean? They speak fluent english and have lived there for most of their lives ? Or will they have to get a cert? Hope not....)meet an equivalent requirement or pre-purchase English for Speakers of Other Languages tuition at a cost of $1,735.

Tier two

People applying under tier two must meet all of the following requirements:
They must have a sponsoring adult child who has an income of at least $33,675 per annum.
If the applicants have other adult children, the children must all live lawfully and permanently outside the country in which they live. (eh? Does this mean they cant apply because 1 of the 3 "children" wont be in NZ??? Geez) :thumbdown:
They must meet at least two competencies of IELTS Level 4.0, meet an equivalent requirement or pre-purchase English for Speakers of Other Languages tuition at a cost of $1,735.

All applicants must also meet the general requirements of family relationship (with their sponsor), and be of good health and character. However, a “centre of gravity” requirement will no longer apply to the Parent Category. (so.......is that good when reading above?)

wendy_woo Jun 10th 2012 11:14 pm

Glad someone on the site has picked up on this!! We are in the current queue under Parent Category, have been in this queue since Sept 2011, From what I read anyone in the current queue will automatically be put into tier 2 unless they qualify for Tier 1, then they need to complete a EOI when the new system opens sometime in July and pay $420 to get put onto the Tier 1 list. Seems to me from reading the information is that NEW Tier 1 Applications would take precident over Tier 2 so the 18-24 month wait could get extended - does anyone have a different understanding to me?:confused:

BEVS Jun 10th 2012 11:47 pm

Re: changes to the NZIS reules ref. Parent Category

I spent some time this morning trying to read about this.

This NZIS Q&A section explains it quite well

wendy_woo Jun 11th 2012 12:22 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10111462)
I spent some time this morning trying to read about this.

This NZIS Q&A section explains it quite well

Thanks Bev, yes it does, my concern is this statement:

The two-tiered system for the Parent Category means that tier one EOIs, existing Parent Category applications and tier two EOIs will be assessed in order of priority. Tier one EOIs will be drawn first to fill available places, in date order; if places are available, existing applications (accepted on or before 15 May 2012) will be processed second, also in date order; if further places are available, tier two EOIs will be drawn after this, also in date order.

I am reading that if you are a person already in the queue, unless you qualify for Tier 1, you get behind ALL applications for Tier 1 and only when they are exhausted do they start to consider Tier 2, we have been in the queue for 10 months so this could push us back a long way? I am in New Zealand now and go home mid July so will contact Immigration when I get home and post the results on here, unless anyone out there has more current info?:confused:

BEVS Jun 11th 2012 12:54 am

It's hard to know until it is written into the NZIS operations manual. To try and find the exact wording is a bit like walking through a maze what with the assorted pages about this. I even found how they based their income figures this morning but do you think I can find it again now . Nopes.

I have read this

Order of processing

Under the new Parent Category, priority will be given to tier one EOIs.
Applications lodged before the close of the previous Parent Category will be processed second.
Tier two EOIs will be processed after these.

Please note that the number of people who can be granted residence through the Parent Category each year is limited to approximately 4,000 people. This number is determined by the New Zealand Residence Programme and the number of people approved through other New Zealand residence categories.

People who have lodged Parent Category applications on or before 15 May 2012

People who lodged Parent Category applications with INZ on or before 15 May 2012, which are still being processed, will have an opportunity to submit an EOI under the new Parent Category if they wish. Such people will need to pay a fee to submit an EOI, but they will not need to pay an application fee should they be invited to apply for residence.

from HERE - a PDF file

I read it that any existing applications now have to pick between the new two tier system. If they can get themselves into Tier 1 they go to the top of the processing queue. It will still be a very long and oversubscribed queue. Those that had already applied prior to the changes and then were able to allocate themsleves into Tier 1 would seem to take presidence over any subsequent Tier 1 applications, once the category re-opens ,as it does state places will be filled in date order.

Tier 2 will be the bottom of many years of no hope as far as I see it.

BEVS Jun 11th 2012 12:57 am

Originally Posted by wendy_woo (Post 10111501)
I am reading that if you are a person already in the queue, unless you qualify for Tier 1, you get behind ALL applications for Tier 1 and only when they are exhausted do they start to consider Tier 2

Yes. I read it this way also. It really is a cut off for the old policy with all applications , already in the queue, having to conform to the new policy.

BEVS Jun 11th 2012 1:04 am

Originally Posted by zaras dad (Post 10097328)
New requirements

Tier one

People applying under tier one must meet the following requirements:
They must have either
•a guaranteed life-time minimum income of $27,203 per annum for a single person or $39,890 per annum for a couple
(does that mean if they're just on a state pension = no chance)

I suppose that depends on what their joint pension is. I did find how the minimum income figure had been decided but can't seem to find my way back to it now.

, or
•minimum settlement funds of $500,000 which they bring to New Zealand,
(no chance , even with the house they own)
or
•a sponsoring adult child who has an income of at least $65,000 per annum or $90,000 per annum when combined with the sponsor’s partner’s income.
(more pressure on me to get this degree and then a job after that :ohmy: )
Yes. I'm afraid it does if they are to apply under the new Tier One & they can't meet the minimum income requirement.

They must meet at least two competencies of IELTS Level 4.0, (what does that mean? They speak fluent english and have lived there for most of their lives ? Or will they have to get a cert? Hope not....)meet an equivalent requirement or pre-purchase English for Speakers of Other Languages tuition at a cost of $1,735.
This is for parents with poor English language. Don't forget that many migrants and their parents are from non-English speaking countries.

Tier two

People applying under tier two must meet all of the following requirements:
They must have a sponsoring adult child who has an income of at least $33,675 per annum.
If the applicants have other adult children, the children must all live lawfully and permanently outside the country in which they live. (eh? Does this mean they cant apply because 1 of the 3 "children" wont be in NZ??? Geez) :thumbdown:
Yes. For tier 2 , all children must live outside of their own country of residence. i.e. No children in the current country of residence that they could turn to for aid , help, support.

All applicants must also meet the general requirements of family relationship (with their sponsor), and be of good health and character. However, a “centre of gravity” requirement will no longer apply to the Parent Category. (so.......is that good when reading above?)
As I read it , this applies to Tier 1 not to Tier 2 although I am not sure if the centre of gravity doesn't still apply to Tier 1 in any case.

zaras dad Jun 12th 2012 12:12 pm

Re: changes to the NZIS rules ref. Parent Category

Thanks for that. So it means that I get through this degree and Ill be able to apply for Tier 1, but will probably pay more and wait longer..............

grrrrrrrreat. Mind you I havent told the folks that theyre coming over here to live yet :rofl:

wendy_woo Jul 30th 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10111535)
Yes. I read it this way also. It really is a cut off for the old policy with all applications , already in the queue, having to conform to the new policy.

Hi Bevs, the EOI came live on the site today, they say to submit to INZ in Auckland yet my original application is in London, there is no where on the form to say you have already been in a queue and have a reference number, does that mean I start from fresh albeit in Tier 1 with everyone else, or have I missed something, I have emailed london family queue but not sure how long I will have to wait for an answer!! If anyone can better inteprit it would welcome their input!!