British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Changes to Custom Duties??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/changes-custom-duties-542644/)

Davvie Jun 12th 2008 11:13 am

Changes to Custom Duties???

Hi all,

I heard on the grapevine that they have now changed the custom rules so that no duty is paid if you have the correct work permits/PR when your household goods are imported into NZ, rather then basing it on what permits (or not if you come in as a visitor) you actually had when you arrived in the country.

Does anyone know if this is actually correct, as we are now considering coming over on a holiday for six months, as we are having a nightmare with NZIS over his qualification - blooming C&G wording!!! and we need a job to progress further. Hopefully OH will be able to find a job and then apply for a general work permit (we cant get WTR as not on LTSSL) and then apply for PR. So if the duty rules on customs have changed this would be great as it would save us some money.

If anyone out there knows of companies after a multiskilled maintenance engineer experienced in manufacturing and production, then please let me know :D

Anyway if this plan doesn't work out at least us and the kids will have a great (all be it expensive) holiday for six months!!!

Thanks
Davvie

Water Lily Jun 17th 2008 8:46 am

Re: Changes to Custom Duties???

Hi Davvie, unfortunately I do not have the answer to your question, but thought I'd reply to bring this up to the front page so it gets noticed again... in case someone does know the answer as I'm sure more people would be interested to know (me included!)

Best of luck with the "adventure", hope OH gets a job offer whilst you're out there and everything works out well for you :)

Persephone Jun 18th 2008 5:13 pm

Hi Davvie

I was under the impression the opposite was true after they changed the system. If you enter NZ with the correct visa/PR then no duty is paid. But if you enter on a visitors visa and then subsequently change to a work/PR visa then you have to pay duty. Basically you have to get the visa outside of NZ to avoid paying duty.
There were some posts on it in the main forum a few weeks back if you have the perseverence to go through the whole lot:eek::rofl:

Someone please correct me if this is wrong!!

Sue

Marjol Jun 18th 2008 5:35 pm

I had a conversation with NZ Customs a few weeks ago and they said to check back with them Mid June, this thread has just reminded me:)

Had a quick look on the website and found this http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+Apply.htm

It seems to say that as long as you have a valid visa when your goods arrive then it is Tax exempt, hope so because as the OP said it will save us money to.:thumbsup:

Water Lily Jun 19th 2008 9:42 pm

Sounds good!! Thanks for sharing that with us! :)

How are you getting on with plan B, have you made much progress? We were lucky enough to get our ITA last month, not sure I told you via email, maybe not as it was shortly after you told me you had been turned down and I felt bad rubbing it in.... :o

Waiting for our medical results now. Fingers crossed!

Marjol Jun 19th 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Water Lily (Post 6483993)
Sounds good!! Thanks for sharing that with us! :)

How are you getting on with plan B, have you made much progress? We were lucky enough to get our ITA last month, not sure I told you via email, maybe not as it was shortly after you told me you had been turned down and I felt bad rubbing it in.... :o

Waiting for our medical results now. Fingers crossed!

Hello, long time since posting I know and should have replied to your email, sorry:o
Plan B is still waiting for the house to sell:frown: but other than that a bit in limbo, so life goes on.
Glad to see you got your ITA and now another dilemma, it's like buses:D Stayed off here for a bit as every man and their dog seemed to get ITA's or PR, jealous or what:)
Anyway at least Customs seem to have gone our way:thumbsup:

Goodluck with your choices, catch up soon

Martin and Jo

simonmarkellis Jun 20th 2008 1:05 am

1 Attachment(s)
Well this is a response i got fromcustoms re an appeal for the amount they charged me GST on my goods i imported.

Hopefully you can read it...

cappuccino Jun 20th 2008 1:15 am

Excellent news Si - glad it all worked out ok in the end. :thumbup:

BEVS Jun 20th 2008 4:48 am

What Capp said ^^^. Excellent news .

Thanks for the link Marjol. Very helpful. It must be frustrating waiting on a house sale but don't be strangers. Have some karma simply coz...

simonmarkellis Jun 20th 2008 7:32 am

Thanks Michelle/Bev... just got to get them to cough up the money now...

Ozzidoc Jun 20th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 6485042)
Thanks Michelle/Bev... just got to get them to cough up the money now...

Make sure that you ask then for interest and an administration fee to cover your costs ;)