Change of Visa to Partnership

Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

ljosmynd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of Visa to Partnership

Hi there,
been reading around this page for a while now, but can't find any answers to my questions.
I am in NZ on a temporary work visa (sposored by the firm I am working for) which expires next year.
Alltogether I have been in Nz for 2 Years and a bit (got the work visa after the work and holiday-visa expired).
I have been with my partner since early 2010, and we applied for a partner-work-visa now, so we are a bit freed up, as the firm I'm working for is not doing so well, and I wanna be able to do some work on the side. (Which I am obviously not allowed to on my current visa).
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for this kind of visa to get processed?
And now also getting confused why the loveley immigration-officer advised me not to apply for residency yet...??Huh?
There are heaps of threads here that kinda sound like I could have...?
Or is it because my partner and I have only been living together for about 8 months (well, on paper)...?
Would be great if someone could tell me...
Thanks a million.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: Change of Visa to Partnership

Originally Posted by ljosmynd View Post
Hi there,
Or is it because my partner and I have only been living together for about 8 months (well, on paper)...?
You need to be able to show evidence of a minimum 12 months partnership for a residency visa under the partnership stream. If you haven't got things like bank statements or utility bills for that long, showing a common address then it might be worth checking if you've got any other sort of evidence e.g. a holiday together or being invited together to someone's wedding, if you do try asking Immigration if that is acceptable as a starting point for the partnership.
John.